• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

FX-8120 Acting Strangely, Temperature readings off?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Yes there have been several people with asrock boards, primaraliy the Extream 3 and a couple of Extream 4's showed up a while back when they had sales on the 8150's and everyone bought them. I can remember we had plenty of heat issues and throttling with these boards.

to answer the op's question "how do we know this".
package temp is understood to be the temp measured inside the cpu cores, we like to limit this to 55c but we can let it peak as high as 62c.
cputin is understood to be socket/vrm section temp measured by the motherboard, we like to keep this within 10c of the package/core temps when we have the cooling tweaked just right.
we have seen this temp as high as 75c.
stray much away from these guidlines at your own risk.

Sorry for the late reply everyone.

I finally got my hands back on his rig and did some fiddling. I put everything on a bench and blew some air at the VRM section of the board and around the socket - temps went down 4-5 degrees celsius, but even under ideal case conditions this part of the board will never be cooled this much.

I'm in agreement that the VRMs are definitely the problem here - but if I can keep the core temperatures under ~55c and the CPUTIN under 70c, how should it fare? Obviously this is "at your own risk," I don't intend to hold anybody liable for their suggestions. I've never dealt with this chip so I'd like to know how far I can push it.

Back