• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

FX-8120 + ASUS Sabertooth 990fx 2.0 stable 4.0ghz, what next?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Desync

I am currently running an FX-8120 + Asus sabertooth 990fx 2.0. I started looking at overclocking last night and did my GPU first and got some very nice FPS bumps with the help of people here on the forums. Thanks to Hicksimus.

I went ahead and bumped my cpu to x20 and ran prime95 for 1 hour and 30 minutes and got temps of: CPU: 58 degrees and vcore temps of 48 degrees.

I am pretty happy with these results as I am running Corsair H60 cooling system with 2x 120mm fans.

At the moment I have CPU Spread Spectrum: Disabled PCIe Spread Spectrum: Auto EPU Power Saving Mode: Disabled

I also disabled EVERYTHING under the Advanced tab for CPU Configuration.

So, if I want to bump it up to 4.2 ghz or higher, what should I look at changing? First I will just up the multiplier to see if it can stay stable on stock voltages, but if not, just wondering what all I would have to change.

BD arch has shown pretty consistent performance increases from mild HTT overclocks also. I personally run my 8320 and 8120 on 200 HTT. I like to use 220x20 for 4.4Ghz, this will also push your ram up somewhat, but the IMC on the FX should be able to host the higher frequency without issue.

If you do this you might need to raise the vCore a few notches, the CPU-NB voltage 1-2 bumps, and the RAM 1 bump(maybe). BD doesn't really benefit from being OC past 4.4Ghz so that would be my next step.

BD arch has shown pretty consistent performance increases from mild HTT overclocks also. I personally run my 8320 and 8120 on 200 HTT. I like to use 220x20 for 4.4Ghz, this will also push your ram up somewhat, but the IMC on the FX should be able to host the higher frequency without issue.

If you do this you might need to raise the vCore a few notches, the CPU-NB voltage 1-2 bumps, and the RAM 1 bump(maybe). BD doesn't really benefit from being OC past 4.4Ghz so that would be my next step.

alright I'll go try to hit 4.4 GHZ and see what happens

+1

Not guilty?

+1 to 220x20 if you want 4.4Ghz or you can lower the multiplier by 1 and aim for ~4.2Ghz as you seemed to want.

Doing it like this was what got me the best results on my FX-6100. For example a mostly multiplier 4.62Ghz scored 4.91 in Cinebench R11.5. But using a combination scored 5.47 at 4.59Ghz.

May I be noobish and ask what HTT, vCore, and Ram settings are called? I think I see CPU-NB on my bios.

This picture is something someone else on here posted, he has the same MB as me, so here is the BIOS settings.

http://www.overclockers.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=120394&stc=1&d=1355605371

Just watch your temps while you do it ..... The H60 even with the extra fan might be a bit light for thios CPU with more than a mild OC though there is no harm in trying just watch your temps.
CPU Socket max .... 70*C
Core / package temps max.... 60*C

55*C for a stable 24/7 OC max temp is highly recomended.

Just watch your temps while you do it ..... The H60 even with the extra fan might be a bit light for thios CPU with more than a mild OC though there is no harm in trying just watch your temps.
CPU Socket max .... 70*C
Core / package temps max.... 60*C

55*C for a stable 24/7 OC max temp is highly recomended.

Ran Prime95 for like 1 hour and 30 minutes and got a CPU temp of 65*C and a core temp of 49*C.

Mind you I'm using some crappy Dynex silver thermal compound, gotta order some arctic silver

May I be noobish and ask what HTT, vCore, and Ram settings are called? I think I see CPU-NB on my bios.

HTT will be CPU Bus Frequency.
vCore is going to be set by your CPU offset Voltage. Default should be (+) offset which means you are choosing the amount you want to add on top of the original voltage. CPU/NB offset works the same way.
RAM Voltage is called DRAM Voltage on your motherboard.

Increasing HTT frequency is something with a wide effect, many things achieve their frequency from this and their multiplier value. So RAM, CPU, CPUNB, HTLink are some of the things affected. Raising this by 20 shouldn't cause much of an issue(following what ssjwizard said). If anything it's usually the RAM frequency change that causes issues on small bumps and sometimes a small bit of extra voltage can make them fine. Alternatively you can take the memory frequency off of auto and keep it around 1600mhz.

Or you can go the more complex route with memory and adjust the timings.

What are all the other voltages for? or should I just focus on vcore, CPU/NB and RAM?

Cause I see NB, NB HT, NB 1.8, SB, VDD PCIE, VDDR, along with another settings that are on AUTO

I believe I am going to wait to up the cpu anymore until I get some AC thermal paste.

I believe I am going to wait to up the cpu anymore until I get some AC thermal paste.

Do you mean AS thermal paste (Arctic Silver 5)? It's easy to get those different companies confused. I always have to think twice whether I want to say Arctic Cooling, Arctic Silver or Coolermaster. Just too many cold images there to keep straight.[LSTREAM][/LSTREAM] Then with coolers there's Thermalright and Thermaltake. Can be confusing.

Do you mean AS thermal paste (Arctic Silver 5)? It's easy to get those different companies confused. I always have to think twice whether I want to say Arctic Cooling, Arctic Silver or Coolermaster. Just too many cold images there to keep straight.[LSTREAM][/LSTREAM] Then with coolers there's Thermalright and Thermaltake. Can be confusing.

Yes my bad, I meant AS, no idea why AC came out, guess I was thinking of an air conditioner.

hello I have sinds a few days also the fx 8120, and the sabertooth.
its 100% stable at 4.3 and I dident change much, just the offset vcore a bit higer, if you want I can give you the settings.
I run under load a temp of 54 degrees, with a scythe mugen hardware edition and 2 Scythe Ultra Kaze DFS123812H-3000, 120mm in push pull and on middle fanspeed.

hello I have sinds a few days also the fx 8120, and the sabertooth.
its 100% stable at 4.3 and I dident change much, just the offset vcore a bit higer, if you want I can give you the settings.
I run under load a temp of 54 degrees, with a scythe mugen hardware edition and 2 Scythe Ultra Kaze DFS123812H-3000, 120mm in push pull and on middle fanspeed.

If you don't mind I would like your settings to compare to mine.

Back