• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

FX-8120 Gigabyte GA990FXA-UD3 rev.1.2 [OC help needed]

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Thumper'

Hey mates,

I have the following hardware:
  • Gigabyte GA990FXA UD3 rev.1.2 (latest beta bios)
  • AMD FX-8120
  • Arctic Freezer xtreme Rev 2.0
  • AMD HD7970
  • 16 GB G.Skill RipJawsZ C3-14900U CL9-10-9-28 1866MHz
  • be quiet! PURE POWER CM BQT L8-CM-730W
  • Lian Li PC 7FN
  • Win 8.1

My first attempt if OC was via the AMD Overdrive in Cataclyst, but thats not the best as i heard so i switched back to stock values.
The second attempt was via BIOS. I bumped the Multiplier to 20 (4GHz) and tried a Stresstest in Prime95. That runned nice for ~20 min, so i decided to start Furmark aswell to check the max. heat generation. But ~20 seconds after the start of Furmark my screen turned black and the pc went off. Pushing the restart button wont boot it up, until i unplugged/plugged the AC-plug. It that normal?

So now i need help how to get the best out of my system for 24/7 use.

Which further information do you need ?

The best helper will get a beer. Paypal only.

The issue with the black screen was pulling too much on the 12V rail of the PSU and hitting OCP.
Or the computer shutting off to protect from overheating.

Also, let's see the CPU, Memory, and SPD tabs of CPUz.

Idle for now.

94d2459437.png

de1d7a3d51.png

79dfc2c11b.png

First let's get your RAM set correctly. Write down the settings in the third column of the SPD tab (the one with Command Rate 2T) and set those in your BIOS.

Afterward run Prime95 Blend for 15 minutes with HWMonitor open.
Post a screenshot of those two programs.

Probably before getting too concerned about ram, find out why the cpu is only showing as a four core and not 8 core processor.
RGone...

I wouldn't try overclocking at all with your current cooler. You're almost at the limit of your thermal ceiling already.

In order for a Air heatsink to cool well it needs good case airflow. You can try taking the case side panel off and if the temps drop then you need more airflow through the case.

Very little difference. Seems to me that the cooler just can't keep up with an 8-core FX.

Back