• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

[Need help] FX-8350 Overclocking on GA990FXA-UD5

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

NicoM89

Registered
Hello Everyone,

I bought this mobo like 4 or 5 years ago (GA990FXA-UD5) and back in 2013 I bought a FX-8350.
Everything was going fine since yesterday, when I decided to push the the 8350 forward.
I started with a stable 4.2GHz

The problem appears when I try to reach the 4.4GHz or higher clock. Let me explain...

I realized that I need to increase the VCORE more and more, but the problem is that in the OS, under the HWMonitor or CPU-Z the VCORE is not equal to what I selected in the BIOS.

Here is where I am confused and afraid of doing things wrong. I read that the 8350 can't be set over 1.5v (kinda the max VCORE for the CPU), so I need some help here.

If you look into HWMONITOR and/or CPU-Z, the VCORE is the following:

3d3db3238c2.jpg

But if you look into the BIOS VCORE and NB Core, they are supposed to be like this:

20160714_145557.md.jpg

20160714_145617.md.jpg

20160714_145627.md.jpg

20160714_145709.md.jpg

However, you can tell by the Prime95 test that it needs higher voltages to be stable and/or pass the tests. I am afraid of moving the voltage on the bios even higher but I am also confused since the monitoring programs are not showing the same voltage that the one I have supposedly set.

I am aware that this mobo does not have LLC, could this be the problem here?

Any help and/or guidance is highly appreciated.

Thanks in advance to the community. :)

PS: Here are my specs:

Mobo: GA990FXA-UD5 Rev 1
CPU: FX-8350
Memo: 8GB 2x4 Corsair Vengeance CMZ8GX3M2A1600C8
Cooler: CoolerMaster Hyper212+
PSU: ANTEC Earthwatts 750W
GPU: Gigabyte GTX 970 G1 Gaming

Last edited:
Yes llc would help here. What you are seeing is Vdrop and Vdroop. It shows you are setting 1.5v in BIOS HWMonitor reads a maximum of 1.45 so .05v Vdroop. The end result you're getting 1.4v under load that's another .05v of vdrop. If your BIOS isn't equipped to handle this then you just have to work around it. In your case you're likely safe in the 1.55-1.6v range as long as the temps are in line you have ~ 10c headroom there.

I don't have LLC :(
With that said, you are suggesting that I can increase the voltage in BIOS even more? The REAL voltage is the one i'm seeing in the HWMonitor? Sorry for my ignorance on the subject but I did not understand very well the concept of vdrop even though I read a couple of articles.

Also, is Prime95 good enough to test stability? I have read in some pages that Prime95 is not that good for FX's stability test.

Thanks again for your help

EDIT: In terms of CPU NB VID or other voltages, are they suffering vdrop as well? I think I would have to increase them too, right?

Ok, I have the same MB, I don't have it over clocked but I do see 1 problem that has been over looked, the ram voltage is a bit low. In your pics, I see the BIOS set at 1.505V but in PC Health Status, it reads 1.484V. All MB's AMD/Intel have a digital volt meter built into the MB, that is how the BIOS and HWMonitor can read the voltages.
Here is what the BIOS is set to:
UD5-1.jpg

Here is what the DVM is reading:
UD5-2.jpg

Bump your ram voltage up to 1.52V, I know this may seem like it won't make any difference, but at that speed the ram is running at, 0.02V can make a lot of difference. I have had to bump the voltage on my UD5 MB's to be stable. You may even lower the CPU voltage a bit.

Hey Whitehawk, your help was indeed very helpful (same as Johan45 :)). I bumped up a bit the voltage of my VRAM and now it seems to run stable at 1600mhz, right now i'm testing with P95.

Back