• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

FX-8120 OC Help!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Desync

Was wondering what's the highest anyone has gotten their 8120 on stock volts.

Currently running at 4.0ghz and since I still have no net at my new house, thinking about messing around with it more.

Also in my bios, running a asus sabertooth 990fx r2.0, should I turn AMD Turbo Core technology on, off, or auto?

Last edited:
I'd turn it off could cause instability. What Bios version are you using ? It might just be me but I'm certain that after I went to 1503 I had to up my voltages for the same clocks.

I see. If you still have everything on auto (Vcore) then you're probably not on stock volts.

I'd guess hes at 1.475 or higher being auto always gives way more voltage than what is actually needed., also his mem speed and timings aren't likely even close to what they are rated for. I'd manually set everything to stock settings and start with 1.35 vcore and run prime for 30 min and go from there.

I see. If you still have everything on auto (Vcore) then you're probably not on stock volts.
+1

Download Hwmonitor and Prime95 then open Hwmonitor and run prime for 20 minutes, well be able to see what your Cpu V is at then. Also have you done a stress test for 2 hours to wee if its stable?

+1

Download Hwmonitor and Prime95 then open Hwmonitor and run prime for 20 minutes, well be able to see what your Cpu V is at then. Also have you done a stress test for 2 hours to wee if its stable?

Yea I overclocked it to 4.0 a few months ago. Currently don't have Internet at my new house so been posting from my phone.
All I did was up my multiplier to 20

It's stable at 4.0 and I get very good temps from it.

I just need to figure out what all to set to manual and what their stock settings are.

My current CPU Vcore is at 1.320

Last edited:
If your still on auto your system will control the voltage depending on load. The only way to see what your max volts are ATM is to do what was suggested. Open up HWmonitor and run Prime95. HWmonitor will capture your max voltage as well as temps.

If you don't have internet then do what I said as far as HWmonitor and Prime then post back what the Cpu V core readings, min max and value are under load. It will give you a better idea of what the LLC and auto cpu v core is doing.

If you don't have internet then do what I said as far as HWmonitor and Prime then post back what the Cpu V core readings, min max and value are under load. It will give you a better idea of what the LLC and auto cpu v core is doing.

Running it now

I remember running p95 the other day and my Vcore volts never got over 1.3 volts.

We also ruled out the fact my mobo is misreading the 12v rail. Because it was at 11.53 volts and my last PSU showed 11.53 volts. And it never fluctuated any, but my bios is showing 11.89 volts.

The only way to know for sure is to test it with a multimeter. Hwmonitor reads my 12v rail on all of my pc's under 12v, for example 11.68 on the system in my sig that I'm on now. I have checked it with a mm and the PSU is right in spec, so HWmonitor is wrong.

So far my Vcore hasn't went above 1.272 volts while running p95.

And I'm loving this h110, 48c CPU temp and 29c core temps under load.

Desync when you can or have internet access you should put your system specs in your signature. With that said, what case do you have? Is it a possibility for you to put a fan on the side of the case, behind the motherboard socket? That is a big difference between those two temps likely due to lack of air flow behind the motherboard. I noticed a considerable drop in my Cpu socket temps when I put a fan sucking air out of the case behind the mobo. Note that having a fan blow into the case in the rear can cause the temp sensors to be fooled that the cpu is cooler then it really is. Therefore I found that exhausting is the best method.

I got a signature on my profile, but on the mobile version it doesn't show up.

Here is my specs

CM HAF X Case
ASUS Sabertooth 990fx r2.0
FX-8120
Corsair H110 CPU cooler 2x 140mm fans pushing, 2x 200mm fans pulling.
16gb PNY 1333 DDR3
2x XFX Double D 7850s
Corsair TX750 psu
60gb Mushkin SSD
2x 128gb OCZ Vertex3 SSDs

I love my idle/simple web browsing temps. My CPU stays around 28c and my core temps stay around 7c.

Fx idle temperature sensors are inaccurate. If you think about it, unless you are sitting in a room less then 7c or roughly 44 deg f it is impossible for a air/h20 cooler, unless it is a "sub ambient one", to get it to those temps. I looked at you case, it doesn't have a place to fit a fan on the side, unless you want to cut a hole and mod one in.

Don't believe I'll cut on the case just yet.

Can't upload a pic, my phone keeps making it 2.06mb, so ill type out the hw monitor.

VALUE MIN MAX

+12v 11.53 11.482 11.53
+5v 4.893 4.893 4.914
Vcore 1.272 1.260 1.320
Vin3 1.656 1.644 1.656
Vin4 2.160 2.160 2.160
+3.3v 3.147 2.496 2.496
Vin8 1.680 1.680 1.680

CPU temp: 48c 28c 51c
Main board: 25c 23c 25c
Core Temp: 29c 6c 31c

This is an hour and a half of p95

when you have time to do this, could you, if it's not too much to ask, return the pc to default settings then then open cpu-z, open the "about" tab and then in the tools section click on save report (.txt) I'd like to see what the p-state settings are for that chip.

Also 20 c is a big discrepancy between the cores and socket temp, you should look at the case and see if there is any way you can get some air flowing behind that mobo , if you do not want to mod the door.

Back