• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

FX-8120 OC Help!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
When I set the volts to 1.450 it turns Yellow. Is that ok?

4.4ghz stable at 1.464 volts

75c CPU Temp
53c Package Temp

Think I'm gonna back down to 4.0 until I go custom water loop.

Last edited:
Well thanks very much to: Mandrake4565
Johan45
Trents

Learned a lot. Gonna stay at 4.0ghz for now and might mess with the FSB later to see if I can lower the temps and still stay at 4.4ghz.

Desync,

It's time you created a "Sig" with system component information so that it travels with every post you make. This is a common forum courtesy. Go to Quick Links at the top of the page and Edit Signature.

When I set the volts to 1.450 it turns Yellow. Is that ok?

4.4ghz stable at 1.464 volts

75c CPU Temp
53c Package Temp

Think I'm gonna back down to 4.0 until I go custom water loop.

Desync, unfortunately these processors run HOT when overclocked. Putting a fan behind the motherboard socket will help that temp get under control a bit more, your choice obviously.

If you think yellow is bad you should see what happens when you get over 1.6 :)

Another things to keep in mind, if you do choose to go full custom loop, you will probably need less Vcore to run the same overclocks. I need 1.46 to run 4.7. Which is what I run 24/7 my temps max at 47 cpu socket and 40 on the cores, with the loop in my sig.

Desync,

It's time you created a "Sig" with system component information so that it travels with every post you make. This is a common forum courtesy. Go to Quick Links at the top of the page and Edit Signature.

I got a sig, it just don't show when I post on the mobile version of the site.

Desync, unfortunately these processors run HOT when overclocked. Putting a fan behind the motherboard socket will help that temp get under control a bit more, your choice obviously.

Another things to keep in mind, if you do choose to go full custom loop, you will probably need less Vcore to run the same overclocks. I need 1.46 to run 4.7. Which is what I run 24/7 my temps max at 47 cpu socket and 40 on the cores, with the loop in my sig.

I'm gonna start working on modding the case soon. Then I'll cut the side plate and add a fan on the backside. I'm pretty ok with running at 4.0 for now, as all I really do is game.

As far as over 1.6, it turned Pink then Purple. Looks like a bag of skittles.

No Cpu overvolt warning at 1.6? I can't remember if it was at 1.6 or 1.62 that I received the warning. :)

You should have seen it when I put the Fatal1ty to 1.71 Vcore to get that 5.5Ghz CPUz validation for C_D.

Flashing Blue...I got my license out since it had to be the Vcore Police. Hehehe.
RGone...:bang head:bump:

No, the numbers just turned purple for anything over 1.6.

Also you said set my ram timings based on my CPU-Z jdec, which jdec do I go by?

Slot 1 has jdec #1 and #2
Slot 2-4 has jdec #3-#6

You should have seen it when I put the Fatal1ty to 1.71 Vcore to get that 5.5Ghz CPUz validation for C_D.

Flashing Blue...I got my license out since it had to be the Vcore Police. Hehehe.
RGone...:bang head:bump:
Now that was effin funny RGone :thup:

Desync would you get internet to your house for peets sake! :) I just go by the one that is closest to the Dram speed I'm running.

Haha, I'm trying. Gotta call them in the morning and see what they say.

Not-Synced aKa Desync how do you say this?

Slot 1 has jdec #1 and #2
Slot 2-4 has jdec #3-#6

Have you got 3 sticks of ram in that mobo? And the sticks not the same on top of that?
RGone...

Yes I am currently Desynced and only alive because of my phone, so partially-synced.

As for the ram, I have 1 stick of Sector 5 4gb 1333 DDR3

And 3x 4gb sticks of PNY I got from best buy. I forgot what their speed was, but I'm thinking its 1066.

CPU-z tells me part# 64C0MHHHJ-HS

Yes I know it's bad to mix memory, but its installed.

My memory is running at

7-7-7-20-27

Last edited:
Yea I overclocked it to 4.0 a few months ago. Currently don't have Internet at my new house so been posting from my phone.
All I did was up my multiplier to 20

It's stable at 4.0 and I get very good temps from it.

I just need to figure out what all to set to manual and what their stock settings are.

My current CPU Vcore is at 1.320

Okay if the quote above is accurate, then you might as well revert to that type of running and especially so with no internet to upload screen captures.

I have pieced together what you are running and for ram you really are not hitting on all cylinders. And it will show up in poor performance in the long run.

Motherboard: ASUS Sabertooth 990fx R2.0 = D*mn good mobo.
CPU: FX-8120 @ 4.0Ghz = Okay cpu but the FX-83xx are better in general.
Memory: 16gb DDR3 1066 = Sucketh large. Three 4gig sticks of slow azz ram and another stick of only just fair 4gig.
GPU: 2x - XFX Double D Radeon HD 7850 @ 1050/5800 = Sounds good.
PSU: Corsair TX750 = Pretty good choice.
Case: CM HAF X = I did not search that case.
CPU Cooler: Corsair H110 = Maybe good to about 4.3Ghz with an FX-8120 which is downhill performance wise after that 4.3Ghz speed anyway.

As for the ram, I have 1 stick of Sector 5 4gb 1333 DDR3 = with 9-9-9-24 timings. That is at least presentable ram. Not really good when only rated at DDR1333 which some of that slow speed stuff have a Timing of 8, 8, 8 , 24 or so.

And 3x 4gb sticks of PNY I got from best buy. I forgot what their speed was, but I'm thinking its 1066. >> PNY 64C0MHHHJ-HS 4GB DIMM DDR3 PC3-10700U DDR3-1334 (10-10-10-27 5-37-11-6) << Way way too loose timings and now after more than a year of FX processors under our belts it is quiet apparent that a lot of performance is left untouched/unclaimed with any less than DDR1866 speed ram.

So if those AUTO settings were working fine for you with slow and mis-matched ram, then you are way ahead of trying to setup manually when you are going to have to adjust ram for that super slow PNY stuff likely to not cause a ram issue.
RGone...

You are correct on my parts.

I been looking at the G.Skill Sniper 1866 ram. Thought about grabbing 16gb of that.

Also might sell my 8120 and get an 8350.

You are correct on my parts.

I been looking at the G.Skill Sniper 1866 ram. Thought about grabbing 16gb of that.

Also might sell my 8120 and get an 8350.

If I were you I would get the DDR1866 ram first and try that FX-8120 with good fast ram. The reason I say that is the FX-8120 and good fast ram will do pretty good and maybe to about 4.4Ghz. Beyond that the mini-closed loop cooler you have will not allow much faster anyway. So you buy a good FX-8350 and are hung at 4.4Ghz due to not enough cooling and then comes another purchase for better cooling just to chase a little more performance.
RGone...

If I were you I would get the DDR1866 ram first and try that FX-8120 with good fast ram. The reason I say that is the FX-8120 and good fast ram will do pretty good and maybe to about 4.4Ghz. Beyond that the mini-closed loop cooler you have will not allow much faster anyway. So you buy a good FX-8350 and are hung at 4.4Ghz due to not enough cooling and then comes another purchase for better cooling just to chase a little more performance.
RGone...

True, are all FX series CPUs not that great over 4.4? If so ill keep the 8120 and with better ram just go for 4.4 like you mentioned. As I only really game at the moment, until I find something else to waste my time on.

I did manage a 4.3 OC earlier with reasonable temps. Like 56c CPU and 36c core. Just when I raised the multi alone to 4.4 and adjusted my volts when I hit bad temps. I left my volts in offset mode and raised my vcore was at 1.308 + 0.018750 and my CPU/NB volts was at: 1.243 + 0.006250.

Last update before bed:

20x215
Memory: 1145
NB: 2365
HT: 2365
Vcore: 1.308 + 0.018750
CPU/NB: 1.243 + 0.018750

Which those volts are bumping each up by 3. And it's a no go.

Ran p95 worker #7 got an illegal sumout.

Last edited:
Link >> http://www.overclockers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=724953
Take a look at that link and I have benched to 5.4Ghz with some sure-nuff water cooling. You can look at the graphing of the Vishera series and they tend to hit a performance bulge at 4.2, 4.4, 4.6 and 4.8Ghz. But those speeds beyond 4.4Ghz take some cooling. No mini-water loops generally can apply.

With my FX-8350 that replaced my FX-8120, I run 4.2Ghz most of the time and video edit at 4.8Ghz and that is as fast as I run editting since I don't want to have any errors get by un-noticed. I have tested stability at 4.8Ghz and have that profile saved in bios so I can go back to it at any time.

It normally just takes more cooling than the first-timers on FX processor have any idea about. I probably have about $250 in my rednake cooling setup but it has been working now for about 6.5 years. So it was not bad money spent. I can name about 5 or 6 guys that we see pretty darn often in this cpu section and they all can run the big numbers but they have at least a couple of hundred in their cooling is my guess. It just takes big cooling to run big numbers and handle the HEAT. Otherwisse you have the mobo part covered since you did not buy any of those $100.00 cheapos and then have to buy again to get a VRM circuit that can put out enough power to run big numbers and not throttle due to overworked VRM.
RGone...

I can understand where it gets expensive at. I've pretty much blew through my credit card when building this thing. That's minus the $140 keyboard, $140 mouse, $100 headset and $250 32" tv I use as a monitor.

Then my
Case: $200
Fan Controller + H110: $200
PSU + 2x GPU: $570
60gb SSD: $82
2x 128gb SSD: $110
FX-8120: $160
Mobo: $190
That crappy PNY ram: $50/stick x3

And I'm still planning on going full water cooling for both GPUs and my CPU.

Which is funny cause at the moment I might turn the comp on once a day to play a NES Rom I have.

Back