• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

FX-8120 OC Help!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Ill do that soon as I find my USB drive. I'll go over to my mom-n-laws and download CPU-Z. Gotta update the laptop anyways.

Also, what about the volts? Is there anything I need to change in bios?

Fixing to OC to 4.4 and see what happens.

I got CPU Ratio at 20
CPU Bus at 220

What else needs to be raised?

Memory freq is auto
Pice freq is auto
CPU/NB freq is auto
HT Link speed is auto
CPU spread spectrum is auto
Pcie spread is auto

Well if you're looking to get to 4.4 I suggest you set your Cpu voltage manually first for 4.0, maybe the middle of where it is at on HWmonitor during a load test for 4.0. Then run prime 2 hours to see if it's a stable Cpu V core. If it passes start bumping the multiplier until it fails then raise the cpu v core. From what I've seen on these FX processors there becomes a point where 1. the cpu just will not clock further from the multiplier alone and 2. the increase in V core isn't worth the extra mhz you will be getting from it. I would stick to the multi for now until you seem to hit a wall, then we can see about making other adjustments. Just have patience, making large jumps in the multi or V core will only make it more difficult to tune it up. What I usually do is see how far I can push using multi alone and I test every .5 increase for 2 hours. Then I set it back to stock and do the same for the FSB. It is time consuming but you'll learn a lot about what your chip likes and doesn't. So far I've gotten my 8350 to 5.1, 2 hours prime stable and have benched it at 5.4. Doing it that way.

Well I left the multi at 20 and set the FSB to 205 for 4.1ghz.

I left the vcore in offset mode and raised the volts up one bump which was like 0.00625 I think it said. So far stable

Update: currently at 20x210 4.2ghz

Vcore is running at: 1.344 with temps at

CPU: 52c
Package: 31c

Last edited:
Remember when you are using the FSB that you are changing the Ram, Ht link and Nb Frequency. I usually keep my Ht link and Nb freq in lock step with one another. What are they at now? Depending on how hard I'm pushing the Nb Freq, Dram and Cpu is how high I push the NB V core. You should give it a little bump for now to 1.25 and see how that effects your temps. Keep an eye on that cpu temp, that is where you are going to run out of head room first.

My CPU multi is at 21.5 for 4.3 ghz.

Vcore I bumped up 3 times to: 0.018750

CPU/NB I bumped from auto to min setting of: 0.006250

Seems I am stable at the moment with these settings.

Mem freq is still at 1066
NB freq is at 2200
HT is at 2600

That's just what it was set at auto. Yea it's stable at 4.3.

I noticed a post about going 220x20 would increase performance more than just raising the multi up.

I tried 220x20 raising vcore up 3 notches and CPU/NB up 1 notch but wasn't stable in p95.

Got illegal sumout soon as I ran it.

Everything is on auto except CPU Ratio and CPU Bus freq.

As I have no idea their stock settings. Guess I would have to google to find out? As all my boxes are burnt or threw away.

I had my vcore at 0.02500 and CPU/NB at 0.012500

When I first started building my comp I had 3x 4gb adata 1066 ddr3

Well 2 of the sticks was bad when I got the computer, so I bought 3 new sticks from best buy of PNY 1333 4gb.

Which now I have 3x 4gb PNY 1333 and 1x 4gb 1066.

I know it's bad to mix memory but I haven't had any problems at all so I figured it wasn't hurting.

Last edited:
I didn't want to know what their stock settings were I wanted to know what the Nb Freq, Ht Link and Ram were running at when you upped the FSB.

Do you still have the Cpu V core on auto? You are better off setting it manually, that way you can better tame the heat. Auto will usually overshoot what you will really need.

Also I would only run 2 of the 4 g pny sticks and make sure their timings are set correctly according to their Jedec profiles in the cpu-z spd tab, for the frequency you are running them at. You may not have had issues running day to day but that and running prime are two completely different ballgames. We want to remove any possible faults for errors before we really try pushing that chip.

When I turn the comp back on ill see. Replacing the hot water heater at the moment and got the power off.

I got CPU vcore set in offset mode. I had offset, manual, and where I adjust it, it said auto but I held shift and pressed + twice to raise it up to where it is now.

LOL tons of fun, was sitting here messing with the comp and seen fire shooting out from the laundry room.

@ Desync if you haven't yet I suggest you read this post about OC'ing the BD/Piledriver CPU's.

http://www.overclockers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=688663

This will give you a better understanding of what you are doing and what Mandrake is trying to tell you.
I didn't want to know what their stock settings were I wanted to know what the Nb Freq, Ht Link and Ram were running at when you upped the FSB.

Do you still have the Cpu V core on auto? You are better off setting it manually, that way you can better tame the heat. Auto will usually overshoot what you will really need.

Also I would only run 2 of the 4 g pny sticks and make sure their timings are set correctly according to their Jedec profiles in the cpu-z spd tab, for the frequency you are running them at. You may not have had issues running day to day but that and running prime are two completely different ballgames. We want to remove any possible faults for errors before we really try pushing that chip.

It's a very good read, informative and very beneficial to someone when soing their first OC :thup:

That's just what it was set at auto. Yea it's stable at 4.3.

I noticed a post about going 220x20 would increase performance more than just raising the multi up.

I tried 220x20 raising vcore up 3 notches and CPU/NB up 1 notch but wasn't stable in p95.

Got illegal sumout soon as I ran it.

Nothing magic about 220 mhz FSB. It does seem to be the case many times, however, that using a combination of both the FSB and the multiplier allows you to overclock to a given level with a little less CPU core voltage. It is more complicated to do it that way, however, as not only does it speed up the CPU cores but it also speeds up the HT Link, the CPU/NB and the ram at the same time. So, you have to keep adjusting these other component frequencies (and maybe their voltages too) to maintain stability of the system. Any one of them can cause instability when their capability is exceeded. Then too, the FX CPUs seem to be more sensitive to changes in their HT Link and CPU/NB frequencies than do the Phenom II CPUs.

That makes sense Trents.

I noticed offset mode and manual mode raise the voltages differently.

Offset raises it by 0.006250 then 0.012500 is next.

Manual raises it 0.67500 and 0.681250 is next. Raises it in 0.006250 increments.

So I'm gonna stay in manual mode and up the vcore until I achieve 4.4 stable.

Back