• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

FX-8120 tempature sensors????

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
First, check to see that you have BIOS that is up to date for your board (*** ignore as my typo*** ---> version 1402). If not, the temp being reported in BIOS may be different than what HWMonitor would display. HWMonitor will display a more accurate number, unless you have BIOS 1402 - then BIOS and HWMonitor should read the same (if you could view both at the same time).

If you didn't check your CPU to see if it is a high leakage chip, either check it to see or keep your Core temps below 55C under load (reasonably safe thing).

Then, read post #15 in this thread.

If you want to read about my recent overclock safari with the setup in my sig and the help trents gave me, just click this link: http://www.overclockers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=708295

Last edited:
First, check to see that you have BIOS version 1402. If not, the temp being reported in BIOS may be different than what HWMonitor would display. HWMonitor will display a more accurate number, unless you have BIOS 1402 - then BIOS and HWMonitor should read the same (if you could view both at the same time).

If you didn't check your CPU to see if it is a high leakage chip, either check it to see or keep your Core temps below 55C under load (reasonably safe thing).

Then, read post #15 in this thread.

If you want to read about my recent overclock safari with the setup in my sig and the help trents gave me, just click this link: http://www.overclockers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=708295

Thanks! You guys have all been a very big help. I will report back here when I have the correct BIOS version, and all.

Edit: Okay, so I have P1.20 and all seems to go well My ambient is ~ 75 F, and HWMonitor reports ~25C which seems reasonable at an idle temp, still not the exact temp but I feel it is much better than 12C temps. I am running Prime95 atm, and getting 35C on load, once again, haven't done any fine tuning in my OC, but at 4.2ghz @ 1.4, is this a reasonable load temp to you guys? Also, ignore my temps in my sig, other than that, everything is correct! :D

Last edited:
Well, I can only last about 5 seconds when at 4.5ghz at almost any voltage when running Prime... 4.5ghz is a bust across the board, the farthest I got without getting to 57+C was 4.4ghz @ 1.43...I would e curious to see what other have gotten, and also, how to go about overclocking the CPU-NB once i decide to do so?

My Core volts were at 1.41 and my NB was at 1.25 when attempting 4.5GHz. I backed down to 4.4GHz and lowered the Core volts to 1.38 then lowered my NB to 1.19 volts.

Since the jump from 4.4 to 4.5 was so much hotter and the volts had to be adjusted more significantly than prior individual steps, I presume that was the WALL for me.

At 4.2GHz, I had to start increasing my NB along with VCore. At 4.5GHz, I was unwilling to go any higher on my VCore and NB voltage, so I went back to 4.4GHz stable numbers.

I briefly tested the possibility of going further on my overclock by spraying a non-conductive coolant directly on the NB with success. But i Do not currently have a permanent cooling solution I can use on the NB, so until I do - I'm sitting on 4.4GHz.

I believe the record overclock on the Bulldozer is just under 9GHz, but I doubt we can achieve that and still remain stable. Even if my doubts are misplaced, the cost for LN2 and the extra steps would be too inconvenient and likely cost prohibitive.

I haven't googled it yet. I plan on googling it this coming weekend. If there's a cost-effective product that can help me, Ima goin' shopping. If not, I'm heading out to my shop and maybe just maybe gonna make a waterblock for my NB. Depends on what google says and depends on how difficult fabricating may be.

My H100 was only meant for short term use until I implement a geothermal water solution. Not sure I'm ready to go all-in this week, but if it looks feasible, I'll take the plunge and do the CPU, GPU, NB, SB, and RAM.

Last edited:
"C_B" you have plenty enough posts now. I read your post #32 and wanted to answer and you have n0 signature and it is too far to go all the way back to your first post to find out what is inside the case.

Sigs are pretty easy. Signatures follow you in every post in the forum so your system information follows you and people know what is in the box.

Be logged in to the forum.

Across the top of the forum is a button shown as 'user cp'. Click that button.

On the page that loads are a list of options down the left side of the page.

Under the Settings & Options menu area is a Edit Signature listing. Click on that listing.

Clicking Edit Signature opens another page. In the middle of that page is where you Edit YOUR signature.

Enter your information there and at bottom of the window you are entering your signature is button for either Preview Signature or Save Signature. Do save and you will have your signature incorporated into the forum in each of your posts. Of course Preview Signature will let you see 'how' your signature would appear in the forum. But in the end the Save Signature must be clicked to save it to the forum.

You can look at my signature for a template of some good stuffz to put in one's own signature when seeking help.

Good luck man.

if i may make a few comments.
my four 8120s are all stable well above 55c and up to 4.9ghz
all have large voltage steps at 4.0, 4.4 and 4.8
i have roasted a couple above 75c.
all will run at or above 1.66 core volts
none can i cool above 1.6 core volts.
all will run 24/7 stable well into the range from 62c to 68c.
I find staying below 62c and 1.55 volts to keep them all alive.
62c limits me to 4.8ghz as at 4.9ghz it spikes a little to close to 70c for my comfort.
any and all this takes 9 fans.
any and all, or none of this may be of use to you.

if i may make a few comments.
my four 8120s are all stable well above 55c and up to 4.9ghz
all have large voltage steps at 4.0, 4.4 and 4.8
i have roasted a couple above 75c.
all will run at or above 1.66 core volts
none can i cool above 1.6 core volts.
all will run 24/7 stable well into the range from 62c to 68c.
I find staying below 62c and 1.55 volts to keep them all alive.
62c limits me to 4.8ghz as at 4.9ghz it spikes a little to close to 70c for my comfort.
any and all this takes 9 fans.
any and all, or none of this may be of use to you.

Very useful for me, Time to go buy 2 more fans :D

Just for clarity as I know exactly what "caddi daddi" means when he says >> all have large voltage steps at 4.0, 4.4 and 4.8. He is saying that he can get to say 3.8/3.9Ghz without a huge rise in Vcore above stock voltages. BUT to get to 4.0Ghz or slightly beyond, there must be a 'hefty' increase in Vcore and then again another 'hefty' Vcore increase to hit 4.4Ghz and again at 4.8Ghz comes time for some more big increases in Vcore.

This pattern has for me been ever present no matter board or cpu for years. You can get to X overclock with some Vcore, but to hit the next big speed jump takes a pretty good sized jump in Vcore. Now I hope that is crystal clear.

We have them come in all the time and are mini-bumping Vcore and they hit those Vcore walls and cannot understand why it is they seem to have hit a snag. It happens much much more often than not. "Caddi daddi" has 4 FX-8120's that all follow the same pattern and he is in no way alone.

Clear I hope.

Rgone bees da hamma man again.
he is exactly right.
the trend applys to all cpus
these exact numbers apply only to my cpus on my board, your voltage bumps may be 100mgz-200mgz from mine.

Well, while I find this to be true, I can't get above 4.3ghz without a huge bump in voltage, and even there're I have troubles. My question now is, OCing the NB. Should I start a new thread for that? Also, what are the benifets?

Back