• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

FX 8120 to 8350?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Joni

I was thinking of buying FX-8350 to play with on easter. Is it worth upgading from 8120, I currently run it at 4.2 GHz with Noctua NH-D14 as stable 24/7 OC. How far does 8350 approximately go on air?

AMD FX-8120 @ 4.22 GHz (1.272 V) = is that speed tested to be stable for at least 2 hours using Prime 95 in Blend mode?
RGone...

AMD FX-8120 @ 4.22 GHz (1.272 V) = is that speed tested to be stable for at least 2 hours using Prime 95 in Blend mode?
RGone...

Yes, ran blend for couple of hours back then. Temps did get on the high 60's on socket, can't remember the cores but on normal use I doubt I get near that.

I don't think it's worth to change. I actually changed FX8120 to FX8320 lately and I see no difference in performance ( it looks much better on paper than in real ). What more, FX8120 needed lower voltage for the same clocks. FX8350 is about the same as FX8320, just higher ratio which is unlocked anyway so I see no point to pay more for FX8350.

@ Joni. This AMD FX-8120 @ 4.22 GHz (1.272 V) has to be one very very very good cpu based on the many we have seen come thru the forum here. 4.2Ghz said P95 Blend stable at just 1.272 volts is just about not heard of happening. So for that reason I would say the upgrade to FX-8350 would not be such a good idea. I doubt you will get that sort of speed and be Prime 95 stable at only 1.272Volts to the cpu with an FX-8350. I wish mine needed only that low of a voltage to be stable. I need about 1.375 on my FX-8350, for 4.2 to 4.3Ghz P95 stable and I have quite a bit 'more' cooling than you are using.

All that said I dealt a very good running FX-8120 for an FX-8350 and I am very glad that I did. My FX-8120 did a very good job of video editting and rendering, but my FX-8350 is at least 15% faster doing the same work. So for me going back to the FX-8120 that I had prior to my FX-8350 would make no sense at all and certainly not for the work that I use that computer. But to move away from a 1.272Vcore FX-8120, it might not be the best idea with you on air-cooling. That is the part of the equation that is very iffy or questionable to me.
RGone...

Thanks, so it might not be such a good idea. I bought 8350 last night online, but I still have about 12 hours left to cancel the order.

I wouldn't mind having some more power on compiling with Visual Studio though + I have had a huge urge lately to get a new chip for OC. But I have to think if that's really worth the 200 € :/

If you have a golden 8120, a 8350 is not an upgrade, and the OC method is the same for both, so not much extra fun.

I'd squeeze this 8120:D

If you have a golden 8120, a 8350 is not an upgrade, and the OC method is the same for both, so not much extra fun.

I'd squeeze this 8120:D

Yeah, that 1.272Vcore for 4.22Ghz P95 Blend stable, makes his FX-8120 very golden hued for sure.
RGone...

I did let it come, should arrive tomorrow. Atleast I can get the power consumption little lower with 8350 if nothing else and I can always sell it.

I think you'll find the power consumption will actually go up.

I think you'll find the power consumption will actually go up.

F***. I thought Vishera draws less power? Atleast on some tests, 8150 vs 8350 (clock to clock) Vishera has much impoved power consumption.

F***. I thought Vishera draws less power? Atleast on some tests, 8150 vs 8350 (clock to clock) Vishera has much impoved power consumption.

Well there is truth to the statement that the FX8350 at stock setup does draw more power than an FX-8150 at stock settings. The reason is that the stock speed of the FX-8350 is 4.0Ghz and not 3.6Ghz, so power consumption goes up at stock speeds.

Plus I think that phrase "much improved power consumption" is more in line with a lot of pie in the sky. Both the FX-8350 and the FX-8150 are listed to have the same TDP. How is that lessening real power consumption?

AMD held the TDP of the FX-8350 to the TDP of the FX-8150 with the increase in stock Frequency of the FX-8350 but that in no way indicates that when overclocked the two cpus are very different in how much power they want to run at X overclocked speed.
RGone...

I was going to return this but couldnt resist trying it. Both at 4.2 GHz, 8120 runs 15 C warmer on Prime.

What were the max temps people go by nowadays? I remember many said, about 62 C (core) back when I got 8120. 8350 @ 4.4 GHz after 20 minutes of prime I get to about 68 C for socket and 57 C on package. I have my NH-D14 fans at 700 & 900 rpm though so that those are inaudible.

IIRC (more than a year ago) my 8120 was maxing@58°C on the [email protected] and 62/63@5GHz, but that was with a 360rad with 6 fans P/P@2000rpm. Can't remember the precise vCore, but was something like 1.52/1.53v@5GHz.

Sorry for being blurry.

Today generally we use 60c Core and 70c socket as high temps we try and stay below. Hopefully we see those peak temps under the full load of P95 Blend test or other serious stressor so that in most normal situations, we hope not to see such elevated temperatures.
RGone...

I usually dont push over 60c core just because i have no need to push it that hard. How far you can go on air really depends on the chip and how thirsty it is. I can do around 4.9 give or take when i had my noctua on it, at 1.52vcore and i was running 62-64c after an hour with 18.3c room temp and good case airflow. With my 8320 i couldnt do over 4.5 without dumping 1.55 into it.

As for is it an upgrade? Yes

Is it worth it? No, unless the 8120 isnt providing the performance you need. Piledriver will give you a bit better performance but isnt worth the price to upgrade. Wait for steamroller to come and see some benches on that to see how much better it is..

In the mean time, to keep the itch away, start playing with some benches and see what that chip can do! Whenever I feel like building a new rig or swapping to something different, I just load up Superpi or something and take it out on the poor 8350. If it goes up in flames its time to upgrade! I think it likes it though as it always begs for more.

I was thinking of buying FX-8350 to play with on easter. Is it worth upgading from 8120, I currently run it at 4.2 GHz with Noctua NH-D14 as stable 24/7 OC. How far does 8350 approximately go on air?

I would also make sure you pass a 10 minute Linpack test.

Hello everyone just joined and I have questions. Freshly upgraded and everything is stock right now. I learning about overclocking and I need to upgrade the cooler first.
I need to know what the best OC speed I could hope to see with my new 8350 is with the best air cooled heat sink.
Please let me know what heat sink that would be.
What's the best I could expect with water cooling.
The new cooler must look cool. lol
Bigblue, what you should do for starters is start a new thread with that question, it is not proper etiquette to hijack another post. You would also need to list the specs of your system, including the make and model of your PSU. These 8350's draw a lot of power from the VRM sections of a motherboard. Most users who are un-educated about overclocking do not realize that just because a motherboard say it can overclock a cpu doesn't mean it will OC one of these FX 8xxx series chips very far or at all. After we have the specs of your system, determining what Cpu Heatsink is best for you, can be made.

Back