• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

FX 8120 to 8350?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
I'd say you're fine. BD are quite data intensive, plus the different types of software running you were probably just asking too much.

I'd say you're fine. BD are quite data intensive, plus the different types of software running you were probably just asking too much.

I read what was said and then I began to think. And here is what I was thinking.

I am doing some cut-down of Win 7 for a less cluttered bench-mark install. RT Seven Lite is pretty intensive. In fact the say the more cores and ram, the less time it takes to do the deal. App says estimated time to do the deed is like 60 to 90 mins of computing after the choices are made.

Here is the kicker though >> I can do the deal in about 16 mins. Yeah, I know, but I needed to go to the net for some helps in what to deal with and when I tried to open CPUz or HWMonitor they did that slow-azz opening like they did not have a place to wedge themselves into the O/S.

Now I would have been one mad sumbeeatch, if my stuff went to crashing. Know what I mean? So not knowing exactly what caused the freezes and sumouts...well I had rather not see them at all. I know you can run 2 or 3 instensive apps at the same time, but should they crash anything? That is the question. As much hale as I have had whacking these install sizes down for benching...I don't want any crashing. YMMV.
RGone...

Ya I know and some software reallys sucks. Or conflicts with others and will crash a system with next to zero load on it. Take video drivers for instance the wrong one and your getting weird crashes here and there for no apparent reason.
I'm always a bit more paranoid than that RGone. When I compress and write blurays that's the only thing running on my system. A few errors on a bluray and it's a coaster, so all that time wasted.
If I feel like surfing I'll just kick the wife off of facebook and steal her laptop. :mad: Ha Ha good luck with that :rofl:

Lets see if I can keep my thoughts straight without stepping on anyones toes or offending anyone as that is not my intention. I am fighting a nasty bug and my thoughts are a bit jumbled right now.

4.8/4.9GHz is realistic. You might reach 5 if you have a good chip.

Regarding fan speed, it depends on the radage, but with a 360, you set them on 100% when stress testing/folding and can keep them on the minimum under normal use.

I think we have to be carfull with statments like this. How many times have we had new members come into this form with high expectations on big OC's to leave disapointed or disalusioned. As RGone has said before so many times it is so easy to not get your point across with just a bit of text especially to someone new to overclocking thier CPU that really doesnt understand whats all involved with getting these high clocks on thier rigs.

The reaching of an extended use, 5.0Ghz is certainly only with what most of us consider a golden piece of silicon.

The 4.8/4.9Ghz is going to need some serious water though. Not these $100 buck mini-water cooling loops. Not from what I have seen in the forums anyway.

Bassnut has been very busy lately and not posting nearly like he has done previously but I remember this shall we say extensive (and expensive) expedition he took into water cooling for his FX processors. He was serious and got serious results as I remember. I think you can look in his signature and see his FX-8350 is now at 4.9Ghz daily but his FX-8150 was only at 4.72Ghz.

LINK >> http://www.overclockers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=715371&highlight=cooling
Build FX Tamer - Water Cooled Upgrade

Thanks for the priase RGone .. ster. Heres a screen of my FX8150 for those interested, this is 10 or 11 hours stable on prime and yes it is under water as well. I cant say this is an optimal setup but from my results I will take it. What did I use to cool this .... 240 Black Ice extream rad push only GT120's + 200 mm Phobya rad with push pull and an old Swifty GTZ block ambients down here are pretty cool at around 15*C in the basment. There is no chance of these temps with anything less as RGone has been stating now for a bit.

8150OC_tiny.jpg

Last edited:
Thanks for coming bye and giving a shout there "bassnut" and thanks for that image. I knew you had some serious water-cooling and I had completely "forgotten" the basement thing that puts your radiators in a much more favorable situation than most anybody else. 15c ambient is way ahead of being able to remove heat from water passing thru a radiator than most with 24c to 26c or maybe greater in some hot climates.

Plus to top all that off you are many hours P95 stable and not just 2 hours. That is putting a LOAD on that processor and just letting it hammer and it takes a good all around system to do that. Plus some serious trial and error to make it all work. That is only seen by us in here about 10% of the time.

Again thanks for dropping bye and just laying it all out on the table. Again congrats on that rig of today.
RGone...

Yes this 8150 I was never able to get stable beyond this. My temps are good but even at 4.74 I need 1.524v for that. I have been playing a bit with it but still cant get it stable beyond about 20 min on prime. Since I got the FX 8350 this chip had been sitting in a box collecting dust I just brought it out to possibly do some comparisons with my 3 systems , FX8350, FX8150 and PII 1090T with my video encodes, I just don't know if I will have the time to do this as each step will take something like 4 - 6 hours + whatever time I need for the OC steps. This system is a new build out of mostly extra parts with the exception of the 2 rads I used here.

Thanks for that screenshot bassnut.

If I would have watercooling and turned of all the fans of the rad and case, would I hear any other sound like waterflow or pump?

There are some rad's that claim to be at least semi efficient without fans but I don't think you could use this type of a system with any kind of an OC on an FX CPU.

If you are really thinking of water cooling you should go into the water cooling area and read the sticky's as there is a wealth of information there for someone new to water cooling. Keep in mind a properly set up system can run completely silent even with all the fans turning. The system you seen the screen shot for above although not quite that quiet is probably more quiet then most systems you see here being OC'd on air or any of the closed loop systems that have got so popular.

There are some rad's that claim to be at least semi efficient without fans but I don't think you could use this type of a system with any kind of an OC on an FX CPU.

If you are really thinking of water cooling you should go into the water cooling area and read the sticky's as there is a wealth of information there for someone new to water cooling. Keep in mind a properly set up system can run completely silent even with all the fans turning. The system you seen the screen shot for above although not quite that quiet is probably more quiet then most systems you see here being OC'd on air or any of the closed loop systems that have got so popular.

I would use fans of course, just wondered how quiet the rest of the system is.

Like I said a properly set up system can be as quiet as you design it to be.

Joni it depends on a lot of things, how many rads, radiator fin count fans etc... Like Bassnut said it all depends. Using myself as an example I only cool my cpu and I have a 360 rad with a low fin count, which means I don't need really high static pressure or speed fans to really cool my rad. I have everything set up on a fan controller so I can make my system run as quiet or loud as I like. If I'm just running my 24/7 Oc at 4.7 I have everything turned to about half speed and my system is fairly in audible when I'm really pushing I can crank everything up and yes it's a bit load but I have really good temps at high clocks. If you're considering going H2O really spend some time in the waterclooling stickeys you will find a lot of information and learn a lot there.

Thanks. I think I get a proper watercooling system for the summer if it doesn't sound like an aquarium :)

8350 will win any day.

I own both an 8150 and an 8350.

Cinebench R15

8150 at 4.9Ghz=718
8350 at 4.9Ghz=770

The memory controllers also seem better on the 8350s and require less voltage to become stable at higher overclocks.

Back