• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

FX 8120

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

hennessey86

Firstly I am having no luck when trying to overclock this Cpu, I ran the auto tune feature and then set it to the maximum it allowed and games ran like crap. Is there a different way to overclock a CPU. MY SYSTEM IS

cpu: fx8120 black edition
GPU: Power color 7850 2gb
Ram: 8gb cossair vengance
PSU 550 watt cossair
motherboard: Asus M5A97 R2.0

Secondly I ran a benchmark test on GTA 4 and it said it was using only 35 percent of my CPU, it isnt running very well even on just high settings, I am getting 55 fps tops and 26 low. yet I can run bioshock infinite on high settings and get a steady 60. Is there any way to get the game to use more CPU power.
Any help would be greatly appreciated as I am a noob to all this :D

I doubt you will find many here that will recommend OC Genies or software OCing as they just introduce to many instabilities. Here's a quick guide on how to OC your FX CPU, give it a read and then come back and ask any questions that you might have. Some of the terminology used in the bios in the guide will be different then what you will see in your bios but use a little common sense and I am sure you can figure it out ..... if not there are plenty of people here that can and will help.

http://www.overclockers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=688663

Overclocking via software or even Auto Overclock wizards in bios seldom gives satisfactory results. They generally don't give both high and stable overclocks or they give an overclock that's poorly balanced between CPU and memory. If you are willing to learn to do it manually from the bios we are here to help you but if not you likely won't get much help.

Back