• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

FX 8150 OC'd beyond 4700 MHZ

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

bassnut

Premium Member
Ok well some of you know of my cooling issues with airflow I was fighting in my case. Well after allot of changes with my fan combos and a bit of tweeking with my Loop it is almost done ..... mostly just wire routing left and a few minor cosmetic things but I couldn't help but take it for a spin early this am.

After all was said and done I was able to reduce my VCore to 1.475v for my previouse OC of 4616MHZ and 12 hours stable which I wasnt quite able to do befor with almost 1.5v. I am currently working on 4700MHZ but it seams to be a little ellusive though I know I am not far off just have a worker dropping off around 20 min in to prime. I'll get some pics up later. I still have some heaadroom for Temps as I was only hitting 48*C ish core temps and 50 - 52*C Socket temps.

I dont know how many of you beside caddydaddy have been able to get up over 4.6 - 4.7 ........ What kinda VCore did it take? I have already bumped it up to 1.5 but that one last worker won't get past that 20 min mark. temps at 1.5 were only getting up to about 50 - 52 if my memory is right so I still have some room ambients are still a little high but workable at around 80*F.

I have pushed my fx cpu's as high as 1.66 vcore.
the powerlines up to my house are very old and rodant eaten so the line voltage is only 103-105 on a good day so to run very high clocks i have to wait till very early in the am when things are very still.
I have also found keeping the northbrige frequency and the ht link frquency between 2200-2600 seems to help.

Well as promised a couple of screens .... first 4.6 which is stable with 1.475v then the current clock I am running which I just boosted my VCore up to 1.5v. I am about 20 min stable at 1.49v not sure if this will do it or not. We'll see. I have some drywall to prime so I'll let this run for a bit.

Attachments

• 4.6 - new.jpg
    4.6 - new.jpg
    296.7 KB · Views: 131
  • 4700 - Run 2.jpg
    4700 - Run 2.jpg
    311.8 KB · Views: 131
The temps are rather amazing after seeing those mini, fabbed, loop systems that just cannot fully contend with the heat of a BD FX processor.

awesome overclock bassnut!!!!

with the fx 8 cores we sure do spend a lot of money and time on cooling.

Last edited:
Yes .... well I am almost scared to add up what I spent on cooling for this beast. I am probobly looking at about $700 just for the cooling in the case. With 4 120 mm Gentle Typhoons (3000rpm) and 2 140mm Prolima Vortex (1600 rpm) and 2 NZXT 120mm Enthusiast fans (2600rpm) all running at full tilt it is not as noisy or at least doesnt seem to be as noisy as my H100 is on high. The nice thing is all the fans dont mind being under volted which then makes the system almost silent when I dont need the extra cooling. Of the 3 different fans I have in the case the loudest is the NZXT.

When I started playing with the cooling the exhaust air coming out the top was warm now when I put my hand over the exaust fans it is coo being able to go back to a more typical airflow and push pull on my top rad made a differencel. I am surprised with the results as well. I just did a prime run about 4 hours and the highest temp I hit was 55*C it went 1 h 15 min before a core dropped off so some progress is made. I dont know if you seen my old run before I tinkered with the cooling but for a comparison ..... I should mention that the ambients were about 8*C ish higher back when I did this run.

Attachments

• 4600MHZ.jpg
    4600MHZ.jpg
    295.3 KB · Views: 116
After all was said and done I was able to reduce my VCore to 1.475v for my previouse OC of 4616MHZ and 12 hours stable which I wasnt quite able to do befor with almost 1.5v. I am currently working on 4700MHZ but it seams to be a little ellusive though I know I am not far off just have a worker dropping off around 20 min in to prime. I'll get some pics up later. I still have some heaadroom for Temps as I was only hitting 48*C ish core temps and 50 - 52*C Socket temps.

Hey Bass, I know I don't have alot of cred on this site, but I feel your pain...
I spent ~$150 re-doing my loop a few months ago (new fans etc..) and the results were decent, but I'm not sure the $$$ was well spent. :eh?:

As to the 4.7 thing, there are alot of opinions as to what people consider stable.
Plus there are so many variables on gear (CPU VID/ Temps/ Mobo/Ram) that it's hard to give hardcore advice that will work for everyone...
The best advice would be to take things slow and see what your gear likes. ;)

There are some of folks who wouldn't consider these clocks stable, and thats fair I guess, but my idea of stbility are clocks that will not crash on the things I do everyday.
In reality, theres no such thing as 100% stable!

You can run Prime/IBT or OCCT for 3 days and it still won't guarantee that you won't crash in the middle of something important... :rolleyes:
Plus, stressing your your system like that adds some serious wear&tear that isn't going to assure your system is completely stable.

FWIW, my clocks are >4.7 (It's nice chip), and it does everything I need it to do.
It's only Primes stable for ~30 minutes, but it'll fold, run RipBot/Handbrake and game without crashing...

082412_8150_stable.png

Thanks Daveburt ......Nice OC

Well concidering I shaved 20*C ish off my temps I will say I am happy with my tinkering though yes the new fans did set me back a few bucks but am happy with the results. I am currently stable aboput 1.5 hrs with Prime and ran a BLU-RAY through X 264 last nigh without issues so for me it is stable enough for now. I have 3 more disks downloading at the momment and they should be done when I get back home Sunday, now that will be a good test for stability as I will do them in batch mode. Should heavlly stress my cpu for about 6 - 8 hours or so depending on the makup of the disk.

I might try and see how far I can push it but I am happy with the results I have now with 115 - 125 fps 1080P with X264 my OC has helped allot. I am, off to my girlfriends this weekend and will have some time on my hands when she is at work. I did take allot of pics of this teardown and rebuild and will probably do a quick build log. You might find intersting if you decide to attack your cooling again in the future though it looks like you have a hold of your temps now ..... 57*C Coretemp is a pretty good temp for 4700MHZ.

Those temps are actually higher than usual, I had the a/c off and the windows open.
It was probably ~80f in the house when I did that run. Prime seems to be the only thing that heats the chip up like that anyway... :)

My fans were actually decent when I did my rebuild, so I didn't have the same great results that you did!

If you get a chance those pics of your rebuild, I'd be interested.... :D

Back