• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

fx 8350 and overclock? or fx 9370?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Infinite66

long time no see guys. I am selling my old fx 6300 and 990fx extreme 3 to a buddy for cheap since I have recently bought an Asrock 990fx extreme 9. my local microcenter has the amd fx 8320 for $100, fx 8350 for $150, and the fx 9370 for $200. price isn't too much of an issue for me because I am looking for a cpu that will last me some time, but I am not one for spending money stupidly. is the fx 9370 worth the extra $50? Being a 220watt chip, can it even be overclocked beyond stock? Or would it be more worth it to just get the 8350 and lean on it a bit? Same for the 8320? I am hoping to hit a minimum of 4.8 ghz, prefer 5+ ghz.The 8320 being a lower binned chip, is this even possible? Heat is of little issue as I have a custom liquid loop employing thick radiators. 360 and 240mm. input from owners of any of these chips is welcome.

just fyi, this computer is primarily for gaming and I do intend to overclock. thanks in advance guys. it is almost 2 am here and i am headinv off to bed so you may not get an immediate response from me. thanks again!

hello,

they have similar specs except for their operating frequency speeds. for the price, i would purchase the FX-8320 and overclock it.

Infinite66, there seem to be a number of odd things going on with FX processors as they have been FAB now probably for closing in on two years since there was lead time to get the Vishera/Piledriver cpus into the selling chains. Or make that odd since AMD has begun to release the 9xxx FX processor.

Odd how?
1. Most of the FX-9xxx processors do not seem to have a lot more stability as in 2 hours of P95 Blend or More at speeds in the 4.8 to 5.0Ghz range than a good FX-8350 overclocked to that same 4.8Ghz range.

2. There were many who finally realized that buying and FX-8320 and expecting it to perform just like and FX-8350 were off-base to some extent. AMD knows why they have an 8320 and why they have an 8350 and it shows in max overclock speed. By that I mean really mean up beyond 5.0Ghz for benching.

3. Lately we have seen a few FX-8350s coming out of retail that will not do a penny over 4.8Ghz NO matter how much Vcore you ram at them.

4. I have recently made a deal to get a used FX-8350 that I know is not as good as the one I have already, because I am not sure that what I buy in retail today will be stable on good water AND be able to bench over 5.0Ghz. So that may not be anything you are interested in, meaning able to buzz on up over 5.0Ghz but to me it is a thing I like to be able to do.

5. Sometimes I think we get too close to these things. Often too hard to see the forest for all these dang trees. Knowing the cooling you say you have, I likely would get the FX-8350 and clock it to 4.8Ghz and put the other saved money into something else. Oh why did I not suggest the FX-8320? I am not willing to hope that it would actually do 4.8Ghz P95 Blend Stable for at a minimum of two hours. Some will and some will not. The odds favor an FX-8350.
RGone...

I agree with RGone, even though I have seen 8320's come through here that can go up to and above 5.0, it seems of late the binning of the 9xxx chips has made it tougher to get a good clocker. Then you have the 8350 or 9370, most of the early 8350's you could clock the wee out of. Mine has been to almost 5.7 on really good water, but of late, same applying to these as I said above, they're getting a bit tougher to come by. You may get one that will top out at 4.8 at really low voltage which isn't a bad thing. The 9370's from what I've seen will clock just as well as a good 8350's and they seem to have a tad better IMC but that may just be the binning. I know of a few that have been in the 5.6-5.8 range on good water. That all said it's just a silicon lottery and you never know what you're going to get. If it were me I'd get the 8350.

I have an 8350 and a 9370, one will clock as high as the other when benching. My 8350 is a pig and will get up to 4.9 stable but the voltage is closing in on 1.6 way too high for my liking 24/7 so it runs 4.64 @ 1,476 on a daily basis. Now RGone and Manny have decent clockers which would run 5.0 daily with acceptable voltage but neither of them do that on a regular basis. As Rgone said lately the 8350s haven't seemed as "good" as the earlier ones same goes for the 8320.
Now the 9370 I have seems to be one of the "good" ones and from comparisons on other sites seems to be on par with the 9590. It'll run 5.0 with 1.53v stable and will run 4.8G at ridiculously low 1.43v. Now that being said it seems that I got lucky. We have seen maybe a half dozen or more now in the forum that just don't clock like mine does but in defense I'm not sure if any of the users had a full water loop either.
What we did notice from comparing some stock vid's was that mine was at 1.5v and the others were 1.5375v which seems ridiculous for a stock frequency of 4.4 with 4.7 turbo. The majority of 8350 will run 4.7 all 4 cores full out under 1.5v most being the key word. In the end it's up to you I'm just laying out some facts and observations. If you were up to 100 posts there's a 9370 and CHV-z for sale in the classies right now for $425 I think. The user is S_I_N. you might PM him if you're interested.

"johan" he already has bought a new Asrock 990FX EXT9 board. I don't know that S_I_N would break up and sell cpu only. Maybe? But $425.00 for CHV-z and 9370 is full-on retail for the board and cpu. Unless there are some adds in the sale I know nothing about.
RGone...

Ya I thought it was a bit pricey even if it was Canadian. I just figured it might sit a while and you never know he might become negotiable.

thanks alot guys your input sold me on the fx 8350. i figured that the 8350 would be the way to go. I hjust figured it was worth it to ask if the 9370 was as good as it seemed on paper. 4.8+ ghz is because i enjoy overclocking, and rubbing my friend's nose in the fact i can run speeds like that 24/7 without a hitch where as he struggles with anything beyond 4.4. (he used to break my balls when i first went liquid saying it was a waste etc) lol. but honestly, anything above the fx 6300 stock 3.5 will let me see a performance jump in cpu bound games. (skyrim, ghosts, battlefield etc). alrighty, thanks agan guys. when i buy it and flog the wee out of it, ill come back amd post results!

Get the Fx8350 and oc the crap out of it, The 8320's don't get quite as high it seems now
The 9xxx chips are a waste to me its just a 8350 factory overclocked for you

thanks alot guys your input sold me on the fx 8350. i figured that the 8350 would be the way to go. I hjust figured it was worth it to ask if the 9370 was as good as it seemed on paper. 4.8+ ghz is because i enjoy overclocking, and rubbing my friend's nose in the fact i can run speeds like that 24/7 without a hitch where as he struggles with anything beyond 4.4. (he used to break my balls when i first went liquid saying it was a waste etc) lol. but honestly, anything above the fx 6300 stock 3.5 will let me see a performance jump in cpu bound games. (skyrim, ghosts, battlefield etc). alrighty, thanks agan guys. when i buy it and flog the wee out of it, ill come back amd post results!

Unfortunately you won't see a big major jump in games when they are mostly dependent on graphics cards ability first.

Other than that, you will enjoy the 8 core cpu's heat. GLHF

I feel you made the right decision, with the cooling you have you shouldn't have an issue running at least 4.8. If you get a good one you could probably run it higher, that said I think you'll be surprised on how much heat these things churn out. Hence the reason why I only run 4.7 24/7, I have my chip stable up to 5.1 but it takes a whole heaping of voltage to do so and I choose not to run it there for everyday computing.

Additionally depending on the Gpu/s you have you need to also take into consideration what PSU you have. I found out the hard way that when my 8350 at my 24/7 4.7 Oc and my GTX 580 was oced as well, when playing BF3 I didn't have enough power from my Seasonic X-650 gold PSU. My rig was just shutting off when playing and after I bought the 1000w Psu, which is overkill for normal usage, ie not benching. I hooked up a watt meter and saw 710w drawn from the wall playing BF3. They are great chips but eat power!

Unfortunately you won't see a big major jump in games when they are mostly dependent on graphics cards ability first.

Other than that, you will enjoy the 8 core cpu's heat. GLHF

Well I actually will. Games like battlefield 4 are heavily multi-threaded. Skyrim will just benefit overall from the increased clock speed. More and more games are becoming multi-threaded, so them being "cpu-bound" is quite an accurate description.

I feel you made the right decision, with the cooling you have you shouldn't have an issue running at least 4.8. If you get a good one you could probably run it higher, that said I think you'll be surprised on how much heat these things churn out. Hence the reason why I only run 4.7 24/7, I have my chip stable up to 5.1 but it takes a whole heaping of voltage to do so and I choose not to run it there for everyday computing.

Additionally depending on the Gpu/s you have you need to also take into consideration what PSU you have. I found out the hard way that when my 8350 at my 24/7 4.7 Oc and my GTX 580 was oced as well, when playing BF3 I didn't have enough power from my Seasonic X-650 gold PSU. My rig was just shutting off when playing and after I bought the 1000w Psu, which is overkill for normal usage, ie not benching. I hooked up a watt meter and saw 710w drawn from the wall playing BF3. They are great chips but eat power!

I currently have a cooler master v1000 gold cert PSU. Got it for $60 at microcenter brand new. Powering my soon to be hot and heavy 8350, and right now, 2 gtx 670's. Only slightly overclocked with a tiny voltage bump when I feel the game could use it. (rarely use the OC profile). Both cards are 915 mhz core clock @ 0.987v stock. I got them stable at 1070 mhz @ 1.000v. They never go above 56C under 100% load for 20 or so minutes.

I currently have a cooler master v1000 gold cert PSU. Got it for $60 at microcenter brand new. Powering my soon to be hot and heavy 8350, and right now, 2 gtx 670's. Only slightly overclocked with a tiny voltage bump when I feel the game could use it. (rarely use the OC profile). Both cards are 915 mhz core clock @ 0.987v stock. I got them stable at 1070 mhz @ 1.000v. They never go above 56C under 100% load for 20 or so minutes.

You're fine then, keep us posted on how things go.

You're fine then, keep us posted on how things go.

Yes according to his signature of parts and pieces and his knowing what BF4 requires, I don't think we are dealing with a 'newbie' here. Luck man and let us know how that pretty well thought out rig does.

One user two FX-8350s. One good to 4.8Ghz and not a penny more no matter the Vcore given. Sold for use in an air-cooled buddies rig. Second FX-8350 games easily at 5.0Ghz but not liked as well as that users FX-6300 at 5.2Ghz for gaming. Have to run more fans on the rads when using the FX-8350 at 5.0Ghz than he uses to run FX-6300 at 5.2Ghz. User hates fan noise. Humh?
RGone...:screwy:

Last edited:
Yes according to his signature of parts and pieces and his knowing what BF4 requires, I don't think we are dealing with a 'newbie' here. Luck man and let us know how that pretty well thought out rig does.

One user two FX-8350s. One good to 4.8Ghz and not a penny more no matter the Vcore given. Sold for use in an air-cooled buddies rig. Second FX-8350 games easily at 5.0Ghz but not liked as well as that users FX-6300 at 5.2Ghz for gaming. Have to run more fans on the rads when using the FX-8350 at 5.0Ghz than he uses to run FX-8300 at 5.2Ghz. User hates fan noise. Humh?
RGone...:screwy:

well its lookong like I might be waiting a few weeks for my friend to gwt enough money and make up his mind abouthis course of action as to cpu/mobo upgrade, so until then, I will be ocing my fx 6300. 5.2ghz sounds lovely. getting an 8350 soon though. Will post max OC pn my 6300 when i overclock tomorrow

ok guys im back. I managed to get my fx-6300 to 5 ghz @ 1.45v. stable enough to run prime 95 blend for 15+ minutes. i think that was the ticket, but temps got too hot for my liking. (63C). currently running prime95 tests to get the Cpu stable @ 4.8ghz. seems to be doing great @ 1.375v. temps are sub 55C, and i think i can get away with going to am even lower voltage. ill tell you guys, this processor geta thirsty as soon as you hit the 5ghz mark.

so what you guys think? assume that my current clock of 4.8 at the above mentioned voltage is as low as i can get. would that be considered safe for prolonged use. google brings up nothing but conflicting answers when looking for max safe voltage for this chip.

A picture is worth a thousand words, download Cpu-Z and HWmonitor then run prime 20 minutes. Post the following using the in forum attachment tool, additionally adding a signature is helpful so we know whats in the rig without having to go back to the first post.

Temps on these Fx cpu's should be not more then 70c on the Cpu/socket temps and 62 on the package. Safe voltage, here is a performance tuning guide directly from AMD, it's a PDF , just a heads up, on page 18 or 19 it tells you recommended voltages for safe use.

Makes answering about overclocking an AMD cpu easier.

In bios disable C1/E, C6, Cool N Quiet, TurboCore (if there), Disable APM and in windows power manager set to "performance mode". Then do as below.

CPU Tab in CPUz from CPUID com
attachment.php

Memory Tab in CPUz from CPUID com
attachment.php

SPD Tab in CPUz from CPUID com
attachment.php

And this is screen capture of HWMonitor (free version) from CPUID com
HWMonitor has been scrolled enough and large enough to show Min/Max of Voltages and includes the CPU Core Temps; which are n0w called Package Temps, fully visible.

This capture is made of HWMonitor after it has been open on the desktop logging Min/Max temps and voltages while Prime 95 was running Blend Mode test on all cores for at least 20 mins and then the capture of HWMonitor was made and it shows the Min/Max temps and voltages before P95 Blend was started and while running P95 Blend mode and gives much greater insight into how the system is performing without guessing.

attachment.php

In order to attach screenshots of INDIVIDUAL images as suggested, first crop and capture the images with Snipping Tool found in Windows Accessories or equivalent. Then click on Go Advanced, a button at the bottom of every new post window. Then click on the little paperclip tool at the top of the Advanced post window when it opens. Clicking on the paperclip tool brings up the file browser/upload tool and the rest is fairly obvious.

How to actually attach images to the forum and not use a link to some outside location where image is stored. Store the image within the forum.
attachment.php

You can attach more than 3 pics at one time by going back up to browse another file and uploading it.

Back