• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

FX-8350 CPU/DIE Orientation + Raystorm Mod

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Thanks that works fine now. Nice work for a trial. When are you gonna hook it up?? I'm just curious how the "extra" travel on the one side is going to affect the temps on that side of the CPU.

Thanks that works fine now. Nice work for a trial. When are you gonna hook it up?? I'm just curious how the "extra" travel on the one side is going to affect the temps on that side of the CPU.
Yup, thts exactly what I will be looking out for.

Unfortunately the motherboard didnt arrive this week so next day it could be delivered is Wednesday.

Fingers crossed!

:)

-- EDIT --

If somebody happens to have a non functional AM3 motherboard please PM, I only need the socket !

Thanks

Last edited:
Well unfortunately for me and those of you waiting for some results I wont be receiving my motherboard for sometime still.

Apparently there is a huge delay with items being sent from Germany to Cyprus using 'DHL German Post' and the reason being given is the following.

Deutshe Post has informed us (The Cyprus Postal Service) that the delay is caused by the unavailability of space on air carriers from Germany to Cyprus

Huh, come again !

Yup that right in the year 2014 DHL German Post were not able to secure carrige space on flights from Germany to Cyprus.

Unbelievable, it gets worse

Therefore items posted until 21 January 2014 are expected to arrive on 8 February 2014. Cyprus Post will make evry possible effort to deliver the items as soon as they arrive.

So I have no idea when the motherboard will arrive as I am not holding my breath that it will arrive in Cyprus on the 8 Feburary date that has been documented.

:bang head

... Well that sucks.

Sorry to hear but what else is there to do other than wait?
Hi!

well yeah had to wait.

I say had as I received a replacement motherboard!

When the company I bought the motherboard from saw the delay they shipped another one with DHL I had it in 2 days!

Right now I am just working my way up to my old overclock on this new board.

There are different settings than the non Z version I had before.

Ive left it on stock BIOS for the time being, once I am happy with the board and am up to scratch will move onto the testing.

Currently the waterblock has the modified slot in.

Well after playing around with the new motherboard for abt 4 hours it looks like it is a dog.

:-(

I cannot even get prime95 small FFT's to run at 5Ghz for more than a few minutes.

The previous crosshair would run for at least 20-30 mins.

This one just fails after 30 seconds.

Tried with the stock BIOS 1601 and then updated to 1902.

Will continue probing, but I do not have much faith that I will achieve anything.

Most of the stuff I read wast pointing to the Crosshair Formula-Z being a better board than the non-Z for CPU overclocking.

Just my luck.

Do you think it could have anything to do with moving the slot location? P95 is hard on the IMC/Mem and you've directed the flow away fron it and off to one side. Or another possibility is the bios not setting up the memory correctly, how was P95 at lower clocks??

Do you think it could have anything to do with moving the slot location? P95 is hard on the IMC/Mem and you've directed the flow away fron it and off to one side. Or another possibility is the bios not setting up the memory correctly, how was P95 at lower clocks??
Hi Johan,

its the first thing I thought may be the cause so I put the original slot back in.

I am going to try a early BIOS such as 1403.

I need to do a 'flash back' ??

Whats the procedure ?

Cheers

-- EDIT --

OK, worked out how to do the flashback, just put on BIOS 1403, exactly the same rubbish.

Regards the memory, running small FFT's should not take into account the memory, but will look at the advanced settings in the memory timings.

It just very annoying in that I am wanting to test the new slot, but instead have to find the new baseline of what this motherboard can run, then to have a look at comparing the 2 different slots.

ERROR: ILLEGAL SUMOUT Gggggrrrrrrrrrrr....

Im sure IBT will happily run for hours.

Last edited:
I just recently started trying different bios ver. on mine. I'm currently using 508, it's a beta but I haven't had any issues and I kind of like it to date. We have found that a lot of these boards work better with a very early bios.

Most of the stuff I read wast pointing to the Crosshair Formula-Z being a better board than the non-Z for CPU overclocking.

I have heard that over and over as well. And if not better then not worse. Have a good friend who had non-Z board and then got the Z board and just about hated the Z board. He finally put his framing hammer back in hammer loop and got out his cabinet hammer and all worked much better. Just saying he was using brute force instead of finesse. Finesse served him much better.
RGone...

I just recently started trying different bios ver. on mine. I'm currently using 508, it's a beta but I haven't had any issues and I kind of like it to date. We have found that a lot of these boards work better with a very early bios.
Thanks for bringing the BETA BIOS to my attention.

As soon as I saw you post I decided to flash to it and to my surprise the Z motherboard is now acting like my old NON-Z motherboard.

What do I mean ?

Well, before it was almost always CORE5 that would be playing games with prime95 stability.

All the other BIOS I had tried it would be CORE7 failing, followed by CORE6.

They would fail after 30 seconds or so.

Well with the BETA BIOS you posted, prim95 is running ok for several minutes then CORE5 is failing, yipee I am now in familiar territory!

What I think I will do ,is put the original slot back (yup I switched it again) and do some long IBT runs to sort of 'break in' the new motherboard.

Then will return to testing at a late date.

I have heard that over and over as well. And if not better then not worse. Have a good friend who had non-Z board and then got the Z board and just about hated the Z board. He finally put his framing hammer back in hammer loop and got out his cabinet hammer and all worked much better. Just saying he was using brute force instead of finesse. Finesse served him much better.
RGone...
Yes finesse is all and good, but we like to hammer

:D

I tried the finesse root, dropping voltages, tweaking obscure settings, but at this present time I don't have the patience!

Oh, there goes CORE8, just as before with the non-Z, first CORE5 goes a walk about followed by CORE8

Wish they could just get newer BIOS's to improve on 'on the edge stability', rather than the other way round.

:bang head

:p

Glad it worked for you, bios revs don't always work for everyone but I was happy with it as soon as I started using it. Just seemed all around more stable to me.

mongoled, try the stock raystorm, but set it so the inlet and outlet ar across from each other rather than over each other, (oops, I let a little secret out)

get 2 6mmx6mm tungston bars cut and drilled to fit the rastorm mounts, mount ontop of plastick mount, it takes the flex out and gives more equal pressure. (damn, there I go again!!!!)

take a whet stone and profile the cold plate like a koolance sa370 or 380, (shoot, why dont I just send him the spare 8 core cooling rig i have laying around)

Last edited:
gotta 380, just work on the mounts a little to get the pressure even.

how do you think i got my fire breathing 8 core over 5.0 on a 27mm thick, 3x120 rad?

Glad it worked for you, bios revs don't always work for everyone but I was happy with it as soon as I started using it. Just seemed all around more stable to me.
Well, I will return to the latest BIOS once I am more comfortable with the erks of this 'new' system just to see if I can get more stabilty out of it.

mongoled, try the stock raystorm, but set it so the inlet and outlet ar across from each other rather than over each other, (oops, I let a little secret out)
I cant get me head round what you are describing. Could you please clarify

get 2 6mmx6mm tungston bars cut and drilled to fit the rastorm mounts, mount ontop of plastick mount, it takes the flex out and gives more equal pressure. (damn, there I go again!!!!)

Yeah, havnt done this but it is already in the list of things to do

:p

take a whet stone and profile the cold plate like a koolance sa370 or 380, (shoot, why dont I just send him the spare 8 core cooling rig i have laying around)

Actually, was looking for a disfunctional AM3+ motherboard so that I can use the CPU socket to secure the CPU and then use a surface grinder to remove the nicket alloy and flatten the IHS.

Then do the same to the waterblock.

gotta 380, just work on the mounts a little to get the pressure even.

how do you think i got my fire breathing 8 core over 5.0 on a 27mm thick, 3x120 rad?

Yes, I had my fire breathing 8 core stable on the 'old' Crosshair NON-Z motherboard. But with this Z varient Im far from stable.

:eh?:

Back