• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

FX 8350 CPU temps

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Johan45

Benching Team Leader Super Moderator
[Resolved] FX 8350 CPU temps

Hi all,
New to the forum but not my first rodeo.
I recently got the 8350 and I'm having trouble getting the CPU temp down. :bang head
I,ve read through some other of the other threads and came up with an improvised cooling solution for the heatsinks around the cpu but it has little effect. I have the rad installed in the front of my case and have reversed the cade fans front and back.
I made something out of card paper for now to direct the airflow from two 120 fans directly onto the VRM's only gives me a couple of degrees. Capture wirflow.PNG
I'm at 4.5Ghz and 1.43v to cpu. any insight would be appreciated here are some shots, Capture speed.PNG
Capture temps.PNG
And this is after Capture temps after.PNG

Last edited:
johan, how the board running besides cpu temp?
im building the same but CH5Z board

are you super happy with performance?

by the way, from what you are saying, have you seated the cpu down all the way in socket and really have good contact with your cooling base....have you got the good stuff for your thermal compound.....
comeback

Interesting problem ....... I had a similar issue a while back and solved it with a couple minor Mods and rearanging my fans. However I am not sure they will work with your case. So .... What I would do to start.

1) First things first direct some air across your VRM's ......This should be easy for your case which you can use 2 120mm fans as an intake on the back. Go to a rona or home depot in your area and look for some cheap dryer vents. Specifically ones that have 4 or 5 little ducts to direct the air from the fan. Tear these apart and just keep the vent part at the end and glue these to your fan inside to direct the ait towards your motherboad. I paid $4 for mine it came on the end of a galvanised steel pipe that goes through the wall ..... bellow is a pic to give you an idea what I mean .... of a similar vent though it is not the same as the vent closes when not in use ..... you want a static version. This will alow you to get rid of the cardboard and help with air circulation. I can post a pic of what I did but not till late Sunday as I am not at home right now.

2) Exhaust your case through the top 200mm fan.

3) If you can and are comfortable with cutting your motherboard tray? Remove your motherboard and cut out a square behind your CPU area and get a fan positioned on the backside of your socket pulling hot air away from the back of the socet area. This probably will help the most for your high socket temps. Below is another pic of how I did it with my cosmos II case. I already had a CPU cutout so I ust showed a pic of the fan I cut out to vent the socket area.

ou can check out my thread I made for coolling my case and the FX 8150 ......

http://www.overclockers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=715371&highlight=tamer

Any more questions just ask though with the hollidays not sure how often I can pop in to answer but there are allot of knowlegeable people here to help.

Attachments

• DSCF0168.JPG
    DSCF0168.JPG
    293.2 KB · Views: 1,240
  • BLH4WZW_4.jpg
    BLH4WZW_4.jpg
    7.3 KB · Views: 1,214
The OP does not know it but the master at CPU temp cooling has wandered in and given some tips. I was in pure awe when reading his thread in the cooling section. Bassnut did not stop until he whipped his cooling issue. Hehehe. RGone...ster.

Hey guys tried a few things. Ya I read a few threads this week and you guys in this forum seem to have been at this a while that's why I joined up. Koodos to you!:attn:
So back to work. I stuck a 50 mil fan on my cooler bracket ans it's cooling the socket quite well. Iv'e been able to run it long enough for the cpu to really heat up now and I'm wondering if I so need to reseat the heatsink.:(
Definitely not my favorite so messy. If you have a closed water system doesn't that temp seem high for 4.5GHz at 1.43v.this is my first so don't know what to expect.
[/ATTACH] Capturefan.PNG
I have no headroom left
@Erixx ya so far so good. This board is still being evaluated not as robust as a cross hair. Was gonna get the sabre tooth but this was quite a bit cheaper:shrug: It's 6+2+2 phase still think it'll be enough for me everyday. Just trying to see what this is capable of.

Attachments

• Capture temp wonder.PNG
    Capture temp wonder.PNG
    29.9 KB · Views: 1,160
  • Capture speed.PNG
    Capture speed.PNG
    32.3 KB · Views: 1,277
Last edited:
The one thing we have found with the FX CPU's is they draw allot of power and thus generating allot of heat. While the closed loop systems are good to a certin point there comes a point where they can't keep up. I am not sure if the H80 has reached its limit quiet yet though my feelings is that it's preformance is possibly getting held back a bit because of warm case temps. I am sure trents or RGone might have a better thought on this as they spend way more time here helping then I do.

What I can say for sure is my Antec 920 was able to get me only 4.5 - 4.6ish GHZ on my FX8120 though it did generate more heat then the FX 8350 I have now so you might have a litttle head room to play yet if you are looking for a max OC.

Something we never asked yet ..... what is your ambient temps? Something else to concider you may be able to get 4.6GHZ but beyond that..... There is a big step needed in VCore soon which means higher temps ..... for some chips it is around 4.5GHZ and others is 4.6GHZ. Just something to think about before you try and go higher on your OC.

Good morning bassnut,
I got up early and redid my paste. It's arctic silver I have had it a few years but it wasn't separated. Managed to shave off a couple degrees. I know it has a curing cycle and this was immediately after I reapplied it. I'm using the thermaltake cooler 240 rad with 2 120's pushing also sits up to my 2 exhaust fans on my case pulling air away from it. The Antec 1200 is a full tower case lotsa room to breathe. I have wondered if the orientation of the rad makes a difference. The manual had it hanging from the top horizontally and I have it in the front vertically?
Capture 12=23 reseat.PNG

umm. i gained about 5C on my k920 just by adding some Scythe GT-AP31`s

Yes some better fans will probably help if we are only dealing with high core temps but with mid 60*C socket temps the gains might be negated ..... I had my H70 with Ultra Kaze 3000 s on as well which was worth a few deg but was loud enough I had issues watchin a move in the same room over the fans. But is that gain of 5*C enough to help the OP to a better OC that he can use 24/7 and be noise tollerable. For sure a good fan controler might be in order.

Hi Tungureaunu,
Are those a higher airflow fan? The though has crossed my mind

Good morning bassnut,
I got up early and redid my paste. It's arctic silver I have had it a few years but it wasn't separated. Managed to shave off a couple degrees. I know it has a curing cycle and this was immediately after I reapplied it. I'm using the thermaltake cooler 240 rad with 2 120's pushing also sits up to my 2 exhaust fans on my case pulling air away from it. The Antec 1200 is a full tower case lotsa room to breathe. I have wondered if the orientation of the rad makes a difference. The manual had it hanging from the top horizontally and I have it in the front vertically?
View attachment 120823

Most people when they have the H70/H80/Antec 920/ TT Bigwater ..... they are all the same style will hang thier coolers off the back 120mm exhaust fans. The biggest problem with doing that is because the unit with the 2 fans and thick rad is about 4" or so thick it hampers airflow to your VRM Socket area. By you mounting it off the front is probably a better sollution for airfloww to the socket area ..... my olny suggestion is to make sure the inlet and outlet are orriented at the bottom of the rad not the top.

You're right on the money bassnut. Things are already getting loud on this end. Luckily this is not a HDPC it's my playtoy. Got a good sound system and the explosions will cover it.
What I'm hoping to do is find something reasonable for day to day would like to have all the energy saving reactivated when finished.
Right now I just wanna make it beg for mercy to see what I can get out of it.:clap:

I tried keeping the inlet at the bottom but my Big a** vid card wouldn't let me

I tried keeping the inlet at the bottom but my Big a** vid card wouldn't let me

What I meant was have your rad orriented so the tubes are at the bottom of the rad not the top. The closed loop systems do have some trapped air in them its best for preformance to keep the air pocket at the top of the rad.

Tried it out bassnut.
I knew what you meant but not keen on the tubes dragging over the end of my card. In the end with the inlets top or bottom made no real difference. I switched it around and ran prime for 30 minutes this is what I got.

Capture invert rad.PNG

the h80 is a bit underpowered... so i'm not sure how much better you can expect... however.

First thing is first. How much do your CPU temps vary with the side panels off? If it's 5C or more, you have a massive airflow issue inside the case and likely won't see better temps until that is fixed.

Tried it out bassnut.
I knew what you meant but not keen on the tubes dragging over the end of my card. In the end with the inlets top or bottom made no real difference. I switched it around and ran prime for 30 minutes this is what I got.

View attachment 120826

Good as long as it is working right. Some of those units will have aquite a big air bubble in them and really hurt your preformance.

attachment.php

1. Many are finding that 'pulling' air away from the bottom of the board works better.

2. I have looked at what has been written to you and all was the most excellent of advice as I see it.

3. REdoing the heat sink compound produced good results. So we can consider that not a problem any longer.

4. You have a hot cpu period. Others can run cooler. Yours would be considered a leaker and good for LN2 or DICE.

5. The only thing I can see is to push a lot more air thru that closed loop cooling system radiator. I don't really think blowing air on top of the mobo at the VRMs and socket area will do any good. However in all things not yet tried...it is an idea.

6. I did see you write that you knew this mobo was n0t a CHV and you were trying it out. That it is a play toy. Don't know if that is hours of gaming but not HTPC anyway. So I say this: do n0t let the CPU temp exceed ~70c and the Package temps would be nice at no more than ~60c. Push it upward until you get those temps during a couple of hours of P95 Blend and whatever speed and whatever Vcore it takes to get there will be the end of the trail with what you have for parts and pieces and my gut tells me it is your cpu mainly that is a 'hotty'. Then play with your hotty because P95 Blend is probably the hottest you will see when only using 'regular' apps. Maybe video rendering could equal the heat of P95 Blend but no other type of work comes quickly to mind.

Back