• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

FX 8350 CPU temps

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Thanks man, he kindly PM'd me his settings but I've not had chance to start my in depth testing yet, it will probably have to wait until the weekend now.

Sadly someone else's settings seldom work exactly. I have friend who has same board as me and my settings seem not workable on his at all. You would think same type cpu but different ram and cooling would not make much difference, but they must. Luck man. RGone...ster.

Thanks man, he kindly PM'd me his settings but I've not had chance to start my in depth testing yet, it will probably have to wait until the weekend now.

Well my plan was to test +/- VDDA with my current config and then try a few alternatives. My config uses more multi and less FSB but I'm going to also try the opposite. I just figured I would cherry pick his FSB / Multi and go from there.

His cpu was such a 'dog' it seems that I would certainly hope your parts and pieces would do much better. I was convinced by how is cpu wanted to overclock that he might have gotten the worst 8350 I had heard of yet.

By the way your parts and pieces?
How to put up Sig at OCF.

New Shortcut method for putting a Signature with your system information following your every post so people can know what is in the case that they are trying to assist with. You can use something like what is shown in my signature as a good template of needed information Thank you.

His cpu was such a 'dog' it seems that I would certainly hope your parts and pieces would do much better. I was convinced by how is cpu wanted to overclock that he might have gotten the worst 8350 I had heard of yet.

By the way your parts and pieces?
How to put up Sig at OCF.

New Shortcut method for putting a Signature with your system information following your every post so people can know what is in the case that they are trying to assist with. You can use something like what is shown in my signature as a good template of needed information Thank you.

Well I don't think my FX is that bad, I have made it to 5GHz and 60 minutes of prime with the use of some fans pointing into my sideless case! With the sides on and normal airflow 4.7-4.8 is the limit with this Thermaltake Water 2.0 Extreme which I have on loan. A little later when I've recovered from the financial hit of Christmas I look at a custom water loop.

I'm still looking for the balance of CPU and CPU/NB voltage to achieve higher clocks without hit those higher temps hence some playing needed with multi / fsb.

Weird thing is with my signature, when I post via mobile its not included, where as from desktop it is :S

Last edited:
Yeah that phone thing. I wish the forum would post note at bottom when from and iphone or whatever instead of leaving us to wonder. Oh well. Sorry man your sig when showing is pretty darn elegant.

Well it is certain you can lower CPU_NB speed some and get a little Vcore relief but you will give away a little performance and can get slow enough the ram does not have a fast enough buss to talk to cpu over.

My FX-8350 seems to run just a little cooler than my FX-8120 did but it is nothing to write home about.

Have you looked in 'ssjwizards' thread comparing his FX-8120 vs his FX-8320? You probaby should since many of us found the sweet spot for BD 8 cores was about 4.3Ghz and everything above that was some slight extra performance with a hefty penalty of the added need of Vcore and temps that were rediculous for the small performance gain in doing work.

I did some looking into overclocking my CHV at rog and found one memory timing that I could change and then I could run my Gskil DDR1866 at tight timings and DDR1866 or higher and run 4.3Ghz @ only 1.38Vcore and most likely at that speed could have cooled the CPU 24/7 in a good case with a CM 212 EVO. I don't have the CM 212 EVO to do that test but my temps were oh so much better when I left off my 4.8Ghz speed and dropped to the more economical and sweet spot for performance of 4.3Ghz.

Leaving my fixation with high cpu speeds on the FX-8120 made my life oh so much more enjoyable with computing. Right now my FX-8350 is running 4.5Ghz at the very same settings for ram and all that I used with the FX-8120 and I do not have nearly the temps nor need more than that 1.38Vcore. Again what a relief.

I don't game much but if i did, I have thought about what I would do with FX-8350 I have now and am pretty sure I would go into bios and Disable 2 modules to get rid of heat rise and might bump my cpu speed up a little more then but with 2 modules Disabled for gaming, the heat should still be managable. We used to disable Intel Hyperthreading to push cpu speed back when I was using Intel to push the CPU speed but keep temps lowered.

I think testing and thinking outside the box based on how few games can use all cores anyway, is perhaps the domain of a more pleasurable experience. I have enough cooling for my FX-8350 to run the hot 5.0Ghz numbers but find 4.5Ghz much more rewarding overall. And after another round of tests with the FX-8350 with rendering my self-made videos, I may drop the 8350 to the same 4.3Ghz of the 8120 and am guessing the temps will fall again like a rock. More testing is in the offing for sure.

Good luck man and hope you find a managable config that is more a pleasure to use.

RGone...ster. ______________:chair:

Yeah that phone thing. I wish the forum would post note at bottom when from and iphone or whatever instead of leaving us to wonder. Oh well. Sorry man your sig when showing is pretty darn elegant.

Thanks RGone, I can't possibly take credit though as I borrowed it from another forum member :sly:

Leaving my fixation with high cpu speeds on the FX-8120 made my life oh so much more enjoyable with computing. Right now my FX-8350 is running 4.5Ghz at the very same settings for ram and all that I used with the FX-8120 and I do not have nearly the temps nor need more than that 1.38Vcore. Again what a relief.

Yeah I have no intention of running any more than 4.5-4.6GHz as the norm, I've just been playing with my new components to see what they are capable of :D

I think actually I'm pretty lucky with my FX, at 1.356 vcore I can run 4.4GHz on multiplier alone with a slightly increased HT and NB (2400), RAM running at a full 2400 (pointless I know!), thermaltake fans running in silent mode and full load under P95 temps are 54 degrees.

I think testing and thinking outside the box based on how few games can use all cores anyway, is perhaps the domain of a more pleasurable experience. I have enough cooling for my FX-8350 to run the hot 5.0Ghz numbers but find 4.5Ghz much more rewarding overall. And after another round of tests with the FX-8350 with rendering my self-made videos, I may drop the 8350 to the same 4.3Ghz of the 8120 and am guessing the temps will fall again like a rock. More testing is in the offing for sure.

Good luck man and hope you find a managable config that is more a pleasure to use.

I do play games when I get time which is less and less these days. Over the festive period I managed to a few sessions with a few newer titles and none of them showed any lag on my FX even with a graphics card which is three generations out of date, thats running at stock 4.0GHz (turbo disabled).

Thanks for your time and help, its much appreciated.

I'm pretty lucky with my FX, at 1.356 vcore I can run 4.4GHz on multiplier alone = Yes, that is pretty freeken good for sure. But these darn Visheras seem all over the doggone map for what they will act like. Or it is the boards.

Ain't nothing short about the Sabertooth for sure. When the first FX-8150's came out there was a skilled user with a Crosshair lV in the forum that bought CHV and sent it back since the FX-8150 ran better on his CHlV. So you just never know for sure. I know buying on price alone is no way to run a 6 or 8 core AMD FX and you have two g00d mobos.

RGone...ster.

Well Rgone you're right I do have a dog for a chip.:bang head
I was playing Prototype 2 and it has a bit of a bug and the only work around was to disable two of my modules. Too bad Radical went bankrupt so there won't be a patch. Really fun game if you just want to destroy everything. :mad:
Any way I remembered you pondering the 2 module thing and started playing around. I got it stable at 5.0 but it took nearly 1.52v can't leave it like this but just had to know.
Capture 5.0sp.PNG

Capture 5.0.PNG

I guess I shouldn't have bought one that was on sale. :temper:

I have a nice gaming OC profile for 2 modules now though. 4842 MHz at 1.44 VCore hits 47 degrees.

Back