• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

FX 8350 CPU temps

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
I have to agree with you Rgone. I've reached the ceiling for this chip.:bang head
Just for sh*ts and giggles and my own curiosity I pulled the rad outside of the box and set it up as though it was mounted in the top. Horizontal with the heatsink well below it and made sure the air wasn't restricted to it.
Didn't make one bit of difference. Still hitting 54C.
That small fan on the back did bring the socket temp down to about 8 deg above the core where it was almost 20 before and causing me to abort testing. I wasn't able to let the core get up to temp.
I'm still tweaking a bit I've bumped up my HT to 260 and lowered the multi to 17.5 which has allowed me to drop the volts a tad and gain a few Mhz to 4565. Still ~ the same temps
When finished I'll probably settle for 4450 ish to keep things safe. I do know that when that vid card gets going it'll heat the board up as well cause I do some BD ripping with DVDFAB which will use the card and CPU to the max.

Thanks a lot guys :attn:
You've been a lot of help :salute:

We always want more but sometimes the end...

Johan45, I like your recognition of things. Yes it seems close to the end but there are a few more things to try from the bios. Sometimes there are a couple of things overlooked that can heat the cpu.

1. You can try and up CPU PLL aka CPU VDDA. 2.5V is the standard voltage give or take how the bios writers did their thing. Often a bump to 2.56 or close thereto can get a little more cpu speed with less Vcore. Just what you are needing. It is completely trial and error and close monitoring of what is what to know if such will do any good. I have gone to 2.6V on my FX-8350 when trying to reach 5.0Ghz at only 1.5Vcore. Did not quite make it since i only got really what i call stable at 1.512 Vcore but I got c00ling and about a 7.5 cpu on 1 to 10 of FX-8350s so far as I can tell.

2. BD and PD come with HT Freq of 2600Mhz and I don't see where that much HT Freq does any good. Know that I have not completely wrung out my FX-8350 by a very long shot. Try and equal out CPU_NB and HT Freq to about 2400Mhz and see if you might get another 50Mhz with the same Vcore. Any CPU_NB for me that got much over 2550Mhz HAD to have a CPU_NB voltage increase and that adds CPU heat. The lower you can stand to go with CPU_NB the less heat and Vcore. Giving away too much CPU_NB gives up some Oooomph though. Either setting up or down I would try and equal out CPUNB and HTFreq.

As said before P95 Blend is a torch to an already hot cpu. So once you know your cpu/system, you can probably run 4.4Ghz at a good temp and do BD rendering with Ooomph at a little less Vcore and certainly then less temps.

RGone...ster.____________:chair:

I've been playing with the CPU/NB volts and ya wow just a slight bump and I'm getting like 5 degrees, so I backed off on that. Any time I've tried to match up the NB_CPU and the HT my board resets on me. Which is ok it's better than clearing the cmos like the old ones. I'll play around a bit more and report back.
Thanks again

I've been playing with the CPU/NB volts and ya wow just a slight bump and I'm getting like 5 degrees, so I backed off on that. Any time I've tried to match up the NB_CPU and the HT my board resets on me. Which is ok it's better than clearing the cmos like the old ones. I'll play around a bit more and report back.
Thanks again

Even if you are taking CPU_NB down and HT Freq down and yet equal, you are having issues?

I guess I know why I feel like my CHV non-Z is a gem of a board. I can do just about anything I can dream of to try and do it. Like I said CPU_NB over 2500Mhz and I had to bump CPU_NB voltage to almost 1.3 V but that isn't shett for Voltage to it.

And such problems as you are seeing is why I seldom give my settings to others, since the parts and pieces vary so dang greatly. AMD cpus from one to the next are the worst I have seen in 4 years or so. Just crazy crap.

Hope you can find a decent happy medium. RGone...ster.

I think I've got my happy place.
I took your advice Rgone and set the CPU_VDDA to 1.26 and matched up the NB and HT @ 2470. I found that over 2500 and under 2300 is where my board would lose it(literally) so I had to change my HT to compensate.
My goal was to keep the volts down below 1.4 and get as close to 4.5Ghz as possible. So I closed up my case and went to work. Here's where I ended up.

Capturetheend.PNG

Capture this is it.PNG

Prime95 ran for over three hours while I sat with my neighbours enjoying some Christmas spirit. I was quite pleased with the results. Ive turned on Cool&Quiet and balanced performance now she sits and purrs like it should.
My last Cpu was a PII 965 and I couldn't touch the HT so compared to this new FX was quite boring to OC. It's been a fun couple of days,

Thanks again :ty:
Cheers :clap:

Merry Christmas Johan45 and happy holidays. One question right up front when you write >> set the CPU_VDDA to 1.26 << I take that is a typO. Default is 2.5 unless my memory has been deleted. Hehehe.

I must say it was a pleasure to work with you on your configuration. Breath of fresh air. I just felt like you had skills and is why I continued to pull some more 'things' you might try for a really decent clock speed and yet lower the Vcore. And you took it to heart and did the deal.

57c/49c is much better than what we were first seeing and the Vcore you were able to get down to is great man.

Looking back at your signature that is up and visible without having to ask 3 or 4 times, it appears you have a nice setup and now it should do the things you want with applications and not be a pain.

That over or under of CPU_NB and HT Freq has only showed up for a very few users. That was a good catch on your part using your computer skill sets and trial and error. Had you given up; the 1.4ish Vcore would not be yours to use. That over/under is hard to find not at the computer your end and trying to type in a forum. That was smart on your part to find, verify and get going.

I was 4:00 AM here the other morning finishing some video rendering in NCH VideoPad Editor the free version. I was shown something astounding to me about the speed of a render and since I had had no time to verify...well only one other person has heard about it. I keep a running tab of what time it takes for each of my rigs to do a render and when I sit at that rig I know about how long it will take me to render a particular length video file. My video files are taken by me and not TV type rip/renders. I put video snips together for family that is out of town for the very first time this fall and holiday season.

Anyway, early AM Saturday morning the FX-8350 was rendering at a speed of minute per minute. One minute of file size was taking just a little under a minute to render. I was surprised for sure.

I moved to the FX-8120 rig just to see how fast it would do my video editting and it was twice as fast as my 4.0GHz Intel rig and was taking about 1min 20 secs to do a minutes worth of video. Now with the ONLY change being to take the FX-8120 out and replace with the FX-8350 at the same speed, same ram same mobo...you see the pattern. I am now rendering at ~ 55 sec per minute of video. That speed difference amazed me. So unless I have confused what you do with someone else; your BluRay video stuff should be surprisingly better with your new system.

Happy Holidays. RGone...ster.________________:chair:

PS: Again thanks for the breath of fresh air as we/mostly you tweaked to the nth degree and got what seems awesome results.

P.S this goes out to you bassnut.:attn:

Capturevents.PNG

Just thought you might like to see this. :salute:

Don't worry Rgone you haven't been deleted I meant 2.56v

I've had so many numbers floating around lately I tend to get a little confused. :confused:
I just blame it on the Youngtimers setting in.
Thanks again man your advice was awesome :ty::salute:

Thanks Johan for the update ....... looks good have a great holliday and be carfull this hobby can become addictive.

Cheers RGone ...... Merry Christmas to you and and your Family ...... now I have to run I am being yelled at .:chair:..... I guess suppers ready.

Merry Christmas everyone .......

It's way too late for those kinda warnings bassnut I've been hooked for years. I just couldn't wait for steamroller. :screwy:
Thanks for the help and have a great Christmas. :ty::salute:

It's been a few days and I felt an update was in order. It's a two part story and I'm sure you'll get a kick out of it. :eek:
Since I thought I was done with my OC'ing attempt I decided I should get my HTPC finished off. It was already assembled just needed an OS and some tuning.
Once the OS was installed and updated all drivers and such I went into the bios and set a few things to get it to 3.4 Ghz wasn't planning to OC this x4 965 since I'm going for stealth on this one.
Started it up and HWMonitor was reporting 50c idle temp so I shut it down, I had squeezed all the TIM out of the tube and obviously it wasn't enough.
So off to the store on boxing day what an event that was. They didn't have my usual silver so I picked up Ceramique 2. Reapplied and started up my HTPC again to see what's happening. Still the temps are sky high. Opened up CPUZ and that's when I noticed I hadn't swapped chips. I was running a Phenom 9850 at 3.4 Ghz :facepalm:
In the end all worked out on that one but I have new paste. What if I redo the water cooler. :shock:
AT my old settings it dropped 6 degrees.:bday:
I did a little more tinkering and I broke the 4.5 on the same volts by upping the CPU_NB voltage a bit and upping my HT.
So now I know the lifespan on Arctic silver is about 4yrs.
I just knew deep down that water cooler should perform better and I was right.:rofl:
Here's what I've got now.

Capture new pastesp.PNG

Capture new paste.PNG

That was one story for sure. A good story too since it allowed you to jockey the speed a little and keep good temps. A story with a good ending it seems for sure and thanks for sharing the rest of the story.

Go into your very first post of this thread and in the Title put [RESOLVED]. That way people can actually use the [RESOLVED] as a search phrase and find posts with a finished ending.

PS: My 8350 is a workhorse at 4.5Ghz where I run it all the time on my CHV at 1.38Vcore set in bios with just High for LLC. Still doing about 55sec renderng per 1 min of video for the longer videos I tested on. So I am pretty happy with my 4.5Ghz.

Thank you. RGone...ster.

Thanks again Rgone. :ty:
Ya gotta love it when a plan comes together!:clap:

RGone;7373241So unless I have confused what you do with someone else; your BluRay video stuff should be surprisingly better with your new system. [/QUOTE said:
That would be me RGone ...... I have finally got all my stuff back together again. My sister in law needed a new system so I had ripped apart a couple systems. Decided to upgrade some cooling parts and it is getting windows as we speek. Once all is done in a few days I will have 3 systems for comparisons with my BLU-Ray encodes ..... FX 8150, 8350 and an older PII1090T all at stock settings right now.

Its gonna take some time but I will work my encodes as I OC them all and tabulate some comparisons when I have time to do so. I'll post the results as I go along for those interested.

I will have 3 systems for comparisons with my BLU-Ray encodes ..... FX 8150, 8350 and an older PII1090T all at stock settings right now.

Its gonna take some time but I will work my encodes as I OC them all and tabulate some comparisons when I have time to do so. I'll post the results as I go along for those interested.

Well my CHV is using the same bios and ram and cooling and every setting is the same as my FX-8120 was at 4.5Ghz. The FX-8350 is just plugged in and run @ 4.5Ghz like FX-8120 and it appears about 12% faster as C_D and I calculated it. Not sure if my head and his head together equal to one good head since when we get talking we wander one heck of a lot and surely at the holidays. Hehehe.

Heck yes I have the desire to know some real numbers and not all these freeken benches that everyone wants to live and die by. Let us know. RGone...ster.

You were right Rgone,
I do rip Blurays and just for curiosity I redid Priest. It's 17Gb and compressed it to 8.5 to fit on a Dual layer. Took ~35mins on the 965 it was 55mins.
This thing is an animal when it comes to video, I'm loving it so far. :popcorn:

As a side note stay away from Verbatim LTH. They're quite a bit cheaper but they won't last. I've had a 100% failure rate after ~ 6 mnths they start to get glitchy I've gat half a stack here but won't use them anymore :rain:

Have a great newyears you two.

You were right Rgone,
I do rip Blurays and just for curiosity I redid Priest. It's 17Gb and compressed it to 8.5 to fit on a Dual layer. Took ~35mins on the 965 it was 55mins.
This thing is an animal when it comes to video, I'm loving it so far. :popcorn:

As a side note stay away from Verbatim LTH. They're quite a bit cheaper but they won't last. I've had a 100% failure rate after ~ 6 mnths they start to get glitchy I've gat half a stack here but won't use them anymore :rain:

Have a great newyears you two.

Johan, are you running your rig at 4.5GHz full time?

Would it be possible to get your precise settings please? I have a test I want to run with VDDA :)

"MediaJunky" I am going to give this a bumpie to mvove to top again so "Johan45" can see it. He maybe tied up here at the onset of New Year.

RGone...ster.

"MediaJunky" I am going to give this a bumpie to mvove to top again so "Johan45" can see it. He maybe tied up here at the onset of New Year.

RGone...ster.

Thanks man, he kindly PM'd me his settings but I've not had chance to start my in depth testing yet, it will probably have to wait until the weekend now.

Back