• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

FX-8350 OC specs

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

ZytheEKS

Registered
I'm going to be upgrading to the FX-8350 CPU pretty soon here and I'm wondering what are some of the more extreme results people have gotten when overclocking theirs? I'm wondering what kind of OC specs I can be expecting on mine. I have the Crosshair V mobo, and my cooler will be running it at subzero temperature so cooling isn't an issue ;p

I have a CHV and 8350 on water. I've had mine 5.1 stable 2 hours prime and benched as high as 5.4. The biggest issue with these processors are the power draw which your motherboard will be fine just make sure you have a quality PSU and good air flow in what ever you are using it in. The VRM section will get hot at high clocks and having good airflow on them is essential. Also removing the dead air from the back of the motherboard seems to help the socket temps. This is a good read on the 8350 with a CHV.

How far subzero is the real question.
The further below zero it is, the higher it'll clock.

Our (overclockers.com) team record so far is 7303MHz.
That's at -196c or so of course.

Not sure to be truthfully honest. I'm getting a 235watt peltier block, and I have a pretty beast liquid cooling system. From what I've read if a peltier has at least twice the wattage of the CPU it will reach sub-zero. I guess we'll just have to wait and see what temps I get XD (But now I know I can at least reach 5.4GHz :p

Liquid cooling system.
Apogee II CPU block + pump 17.5 LPM
4x 120mm radiator with 70CFM fans
3x 140mm radiator with 120CFM fans
2x 80mm radiator with 30CFM fans

:p So not sure how far sub-zero I'll get

(Note: I'm well aware I'll need to waterproof the CPU rig because of the peltier block :p)

Very hard to say how that'll work out, really. Once heavily OC'd the FX chip is likely to be putting out close to 200w, maybe more.

I'll be interested to see your results, in any event.

Damn, 200watts OCed? If I expect any sub-zero I should probably throw in the money for a 400watt TEC -.- this would require a better APU though =/

Damn, we'll see I guess

It's definitely over 200w OC'ed. If you believe the OC power calculators online, just to get anywhere past 5ghz is 210+ watts and my highest stable run was at 5.1ghz and 221w. I can also say it's got to be that high because comparing it to my 4.5ghz overclocked X4 965 is like comparing a pottery kiln to an EZ-Bake oven. I'm running on air though, so you should have far more room to work with- I think you'll be more than happy, especially with that board.

God damn, I'll deff have to get a nice APU so I can get a proper TEC to reach sub-zero

Either way this rig is going to kick *** when I'm done :p

Back