• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

FX 8350 or 9370

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
I'd go for the 9370 but be warned they need A LOT of cooling and a very stout motherboard to run. Default voltage is 1.5v+ just so you know. If you go into this lightly it will be a disappointing experience for you.

We have one user in the forum that has the FX-9370 and a pretty stout FX-8350. The only real difference he found between the two was that at just 4.8Ghz stable, his FX-9370 used a little less VCore. After 4.8Ghz the Vcore needed for either of those cpus tended to equal out and IF I am not mistaken he has gone back to his FX-8350 for most of his benching escapades which are not just a few.
RGBobertone...ster.

EDIT:
Air is "johan45" of whom I was speaking. Dun beated me to it with his own pozt.
END EDIT.

I just don't know if I could live with myself if I killed the 9370. I'm afraid of feeding it too much.
But seriously I'm a lot more comfortable with the 8350, I found the 9370 a bit unpredictable at the high clocks and very finicky about what I was giving it as far as voltage. It will come out and play again, on that you can count. If you get a nice one that will run decent clocks at low voltage you're lucky. We had one poster who returned it because of the high voltage it needed just to be stable at stock settings.

I have a H100i and a Crosshair V Formula-Z. The reason I asked was because I was discussing this with a friend and he was pretty hell bent on saying that I should stay with the 8350 and just overclocking it but I though it would use just as much power overclocked as the 9370 would use stock. Am I correct in this assumption?

I think the change to the Vishera architecture at all would be significant. If you are going for top-of-the-line AMD, and have the gear you have, I see no reason not to get the FX-9 chip. If nothing else you can undervolt and downclock it. All it gives you is free headroom.

I have a H100i and a Crosshair V Formula-Z. The reason I asked was because I was discussing this with a friend and he was pretty hell bent on saying that I should stay with the 8350 and just overclocking it but I though it would use just as much power overclocked as the 9370 would use stock. Am I correct in this assumption?
So many variables involved, so, who knows really.

I'm sorry just to be clear I haven't ordered the processor for this build yet. I'm trying to decide on the 8350 or 9370 but leaning heavly toward the 9370 unless you guys can give me good reason not too.

Knowing it was a typo above when you said 8150 when you meant FX-8350. Yes they both draw about the same power/current, at the same cpu speed over 5.0Ghz.

Here in the Usa the FX9370 is about a $100.00 Usd more. IF and it is a giant IF, I intended to run at 4.8Ghz as often as possible, I might give in to the other $100.00. But if I really planned on much better cooling than an H100, then I would go for the FX-8350 since I truly beleive it will take to overclocking above 5.0Ghz easier and maybe even better.
Bobert...ster.

EDIT:
They both run HOT as heck and an H100 is only going to handle sub 5.0Ghz or maybe even a little less, as I am serious as hale that these 8 cores run HOT. No Lie. If you never been there then you are in for a rather quick wake-up when you push an 8 core FX processor.
END EDIT.

Knowing it was a typo above when you said 8150 when you meant FX-8350. Yes they both draw about the same power/current, at the same cpu speed over 5.0Ghz.

Here in the Usa the FX9370 is about a $100.00 Usd more. IF and it is a giant IF, I intended to run at 4.8Ghz as often as possible, I might give in to the other $100.00. But if I really planned on much better cooling than an H100, then I would go for the FX-8350 since I truly beleive it will take to overclocking above 5.0Ghz easier and maybe even better.
Bobert...ster.

Yes it was a typo. Sorry about that. Right now Newegg has the 8350 and 9370 for the same price.

And I understand overclocking the 9370 will always be a temptation but I have no plans of doing that. We will see.

It always the luck of the draw as far as the silicon goes. I was under the impression that with the binning that AMD does the 9370s would be very similar. My slice had a default volt of 1.5 where the other I spoke of was 1.536. That's a huge difference when it comes to cooling it. Mine runs stable at 4.8 with 1.47v where the other one couldn't go below stock and remain stable. Same goes for the 8350 some good some not really bad they just need a lot of power for the same clocks.

Same freeken price? H*ll yes get the 9370 since you say you will not be doing overclocking. Well not like about 5 of us that help in regular overclock. WE do it at the hint of a sunrise. Hehehe. Luck man.
Bobert...

If they're the same price the 9730 would be my choice, though running all 8 cores at anything above 4.6 might be a tough task for the H100.

It always the luck of the draw as far as the silicon goes. I was under the impression that with the binning that AMD does the 9370s would be very similar. My slice had a default volt of 1.5 where the other I spoke of was 1.536. That's a huge difference when it comes to cooling it. Mine runs stable at 4.8 with 1.47v where the other one couldn't go below stock and remain stable. Same goes for the 8350 some good some not really bad they just need a lot of power for the same clocks.

This post is interesting too me and maybe a little confusing. Are you saying I should try turning the voltage down to the cpu a little at a time to where it's stable in order to keep it cooler? Hum, I think I just learned something.

You can if your CPU will let you, not all of them will. That was the point I was trying to make.

This post is interesting too me and maybe a little confusing. Are you saying I should try turning the voltage down to the cpu a little at a time to where it's stable in order to keep it cooler? Hum, I think I just learned something.

Tweaking and then testing is always the order of the day. It might be stable at a little less than the default Vcore that the cpu tells the mobo to set.
Bobert...

You can if your CPU will let you, not all of them will. That was the point I was trying to make.

Point well made. And thank you for throwing it my way. This is going to be a good site. I'm learning already.

Well thanks for the INFO guys, it's back to work for me. I guess the next thing for me is to try to consider how how to keep the VRM cool. I do have a 200mm fan on the side window that will blow on the MB but I have a feeling that it won't move enough air to do the job. Anyways thats again for the INFO

Blessings,
Jaredjosh

So, just as an addendum:

People are saying the H100i is barely enough to run an 8-core at 5 GHz.
So does that mean with my H60 / 8320 I shouldn't expect any more than 4.5 GHz?

Back