• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

FX-8350 socket vs core temps

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
hey bassnut
stalem those ideas I posted actually came from bassnut.
I wouldn't get my hopes up with the AI suite. You're seeing almost exactly what I saw.
This was my very first post, give it a read , it'll sound very familiar.

http://www.overclockers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=723442

I got alot of help from bassnut and Rgone.
There's a lot of good people here always willing to help.

:welcome: to the forum

Nice read! Glad to see you got your temps right at a nice oc!

I think I will have to call it a night for now. I had P95 running on blend for about 20 minutes when my 620 started emitting some quiet, but high-pitched whining/grinding noise. Almost like metal against metal screeching. :shock:
Got me a bit scared so I shut down the test, and the sound stopped. Redid the test and the sound came back at around the same time in. Not sure what is going on here. :shrug:

I maxed out my temps at 64/43 though, so that feels quite alright for now.

As for Ai Suite I wouldn't install it if it isn't already. It threw my PC into a tizzy when I had it installed. It wouldn't allow my pc to shut down completely, windows would close but everything else stayed on. Ai Suite removed and problem solved.

Bassnut nice to see you pop your head in, it's been a while.:thup:

you guys are so on it!!!
we much prefer airflow to go from low in the front to high in the rear but, you gotta do what you gotta do.

Nice read! Glad to see you got your temps right at a nice oc!

I think I will have to call it a night for now. I had P95 running on blend for about 20 minutes when my 620 started emitting some quiet, but high-pitched whining/grinding noise. Almost like metal against metal screeching. :shock:
Got me a bit scared so I shut down the test, and the sound stopped. Redid the test and the sound came back at around the same time in. Not sure what is going on here. :shrug:

I maxed out my temps at 64/43 though, so that feels quite alright for now.

Keep an eye on that squealing hopefully just a fan but could be the pump.
Glad I could give you a little hope. Just FYI my rad is 2x120

I'm back with a new fan setup! And I managed to shave off 3 degrees from the socket temp, by sacrificing 4 degrees on the gfx card. I think I can live with that :p
So what I did was, I took on you guys' advices ( ;) ) and moved the bottom front fan up to the side of the case as intake right on the CPU/NB. I also switched my push/pull from intake to exhaust.

Now, the ART was 24 degrees today, compared to 26 yesterday and my core/socket temps are still the same. Am I right in my guess that the rise in temps are because I now have the push/pull as exhaust?

Anyway, here's what I got after 20 min of blend in P95. Looking good?

bNT0b21.png

Keep an eye on that squealing hopefully just a fan but could be the pump.
Glad I could give you a little hope. Just FYI my rad is 2x120

I tried locating the source by putting my ear close to different parts, and it definitely seems to be emanating from the pump. It could also be the gfx card fans, seeing as they're pretty close, but listening from behind the mobo the grinding could still be heard pretty clearly right behind the CPU :(
Definitely, I appreciate your help! I'm feeling pretty pleased with the temps I've got so far, now to see how far I can push this CPU on stock voltages :D

I'm feeling pretty pleased with the temps I've got so far, now to see how far I can push this CPU on stock voltages
If my memory serves me right, which usually it doesn't these days, I believe I had mine at 4.5 at stock. Anyhow my point is see if you can push it any higher you may be able to get 4.4?

That sepends on the chip a lot though Mandrake. You have a pretty sweet one compared to me. I really had to work at it to get 4.5 at 1.4v now for 4.65 I'm up to 1.45.
@ stalem the small fan on the back is what made the biggest difference for me. Did you turn the rear fan for intake?

I think I have to agree with you, johan, in that mandrake got a lucky chip. I can't seem to get it stable at 4.4GHz. Just now ran a test with [email protected] 210FSB@ i think 1.21v. One core failed within the first minute. Gonna try again with the vcore bumped up one step.

Yeah, my current fan setup is rear top intake, side intake, top exhaust, push/pull in front exhaust

Good good like I said that rear one dropped my temps huge. I put it blowing directly on the back of the cpu socket. Huge difference. Mind you I may have been tricking the sensor a bit but never had anything blow-up on me either.

I hear you! Putting my fan to blow directly over the cpu/nb shaved off 3 degrees! Tricked it how? And why?

Update: One core failed after 7 min of blend. [email protected] FSB210 @ 1.2 something volts. Temps were at 66/48 and no sign of stopping. I guess 4.4GHz is but a dream for now! Unless anyone has any suggestions/directions? :rolleyes:

Last edited:
I meant the 50mm on the back of the board gave me almost 10 deg. Mad it think it was cooler than it really was I'm sure that my power section was still quite warm

Yeah I got that, I just meant I got what I wanted as well by using a somewhat similar technique ;)
You tricked it because you didn't want it to autoshutoff the system or am I missing something?

Having this setup with the fan blowing on to the CPU back

Capturefan.PNG

Can fool it since the CPU socket temp is usually a calculated number using socket and vrm I was only really cooling the cpu base,

Yeah you posted that pic yesterday ;)
Oh ok, fooling it in that sense, I get it! But are you really fooling it, seeing as you are actually cooling it, which should result in a lower temp reading?

4.4GHz seems impossible without getting uncomfortable temps. 4.3GHz is the new goal!

Like I said it was this fan that made the difference. And I had no idea how hot the power section was.

I do wish I had a spare laying around!

Anyways, just ran blend for about 15 minutes, so far so good. 4.3GHz [email protected] [email protected] and temps maxing out at 60/48 with an art at 21-22 :D

update: i even managed to drop the nb voltage down a tick, iirc it should be at 1.206 now

vNgaXDJ.png

Last edited:
:thup: good work so far. Usually raising the fsb creates less heat than the multi but you have frequencies to keep an eye on.
Just for reference I'm at 250x18.5

I'm headed out for a few hours just carry on the way you're going you're doing fine.

Last edited:
Thanks! What do you mean by 'frequencies to keep an eye on"? FSB freq? Or CPU? :eh?:
Hm, so you mean I could get the same speed with higher FSB, lower multi and lower temps? I have got to try that out! :clap:

Back