• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

FX-8350 socket vs core temps

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
What Johan is saying is, when you change the FSB to overclock you are also changing the HT Link, NB Frequency and Dram Frequency. So you need to keep an eye on those, because, especially with the Dram, they can cause instability as well. I usually link my Ht Link and NB frequency together, meaning I'll run them both at the same speed. I usually have them between 2400 and 2600 depending on the FSB I'm using. You may need to increase the Cpu NB V but that will add heat to the system. As far as your Dram these processors can handle higher speeds but you may have to start messing with the timings on them to keep the system stable.

Yeah, this is pretty equal to some of the guides/forums I've read before, thanks for the suggestions! :) Didn't know I could keep temps lower by upping the nb/ht instead of cpu multi though, so that's a nice tip :D
I'll experiment around a bit more and see where I'll land at!

On second thought, upping the nb/ht means I can lower the cpu multi and volt, thus lowering the cpu temps, sure. But at the same time I must up the volts on the nb/ht, which means an increase in nb/ht temps. Am I right in thinking that I can get an overall lower temp because the nb/ht doesn't produce as much heat as the cpu?

Last edited:
Yeah, this is pretty equal to some of the guides/forums I've read before, thanks for the suggestions! :) Didn't know I could keep temps lower by upping the nb/ht instead of cpu multi though, so that's a nice tip :D
I'll experiment around a bit more and see where I'll land at!

On second thought, upping the nb/ht means I can lower the cpu multi and volt, thus lowering the cpu temps, sure. But at the same time I must up the volts on the nb/ht, which means an increase in nb/ht temps. Am I right in thinking that I can get an overall lower temp because the nb/ht doesn't produce as much heat as the cpu?

Not sure exactly where you got that information but the temp difference will or can be so small as to be un-noticeable. The condition where something like this might be seen is when the cpu has quit clocking upward from raising the multiplier only but goes just a little bit further up with an add to FSB/HT Ref and may do so without raising Vcore much so it gives the appearance of running cooler.

So I would never begin to believe what you think you read will make a big difference in temps; whereas it will be just a degree or two drop maybe at the max speed attained.
RGone...

The FSB is a base frequency that affects not only your CPU speed but also your Hyper Transport ,RAM and North Bridge. If you raise the FSB base it will raise the other frequencies as well. They all work off a multiplier just like the cpu.

Edit He got that from me Rgone. I may have been a bit misleading. But sometimes it will allow a little less voltage.

Yeah, we know we have to use FSB and Multiplier to get the 'most' from an overclock but for most of us we are pushing it so far that we never get to see any minor temp drops since we are pushing so hard. I never get to see a temp drop after passing 4.6Ghz it has just plain gotten warm for sure by then.
RGone...

Not sure exactly where you got that information but the temp difference will or can be so small as to be un-noticeable. The condition where something like this might be seen is when the cpu has quit clocking upward from raising the multiplier only but goes just a little bit further up with an add to FSB/HT Ref and may do so without raising Vcore much so it gives the appearance of running cooler.

So I would never begin to believe what you think you read will make a big difference in temps; whereas it will be just a degree or two drop maybe at the max speed attained.
RGone...

The FSB is a base frequency that affects not only your CPU speed but also your Hyper Transport ,RAM and North Bridge. If you raise the FSB base it will raise the other frequencies as well. They all work off a multiplier just like the cpu.

Edit He got that from me Rgone. I may have been a bit misleading. But sometimes it will allow a little less voltage.

I might have been a bit misleading in my writing as well. I never expected to see any major drops in temps, I was just curious if I could achieve any kind of drops by increasing the nb/ht multi and lowering the cpu. :eek:

Yeah, we know we have to use FSB and Multiplier to get the 'most' from an overclock but for most of us we are pushing it so far that we never get to see any minor temp drops since we are pushing so hard. I never get to see a temp drop after passing 4.6Ghz it has just plain gotten warm for sure by then.
RGone...

On the other hand, I'm not trying to do any hardcore overclocking, so maybe I'll experience a slightly bit bigger difference in temp drop? Either way, I'm gonna experiment with it later tonight, when I find some time. I'll report back with my findings! :salute:

This thread kinda brings back memories for me. Here give it a read, when dealing with the heat that can be built up in a case when we step on these FX CPU's ......

http://www.overclockers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=715371&highlight=tamer

After all that, what I can tell you it is a delicate balance of airflow and a cooling system that can handle the heat that you through at it. Lately there have been more people testing their systems here and posting their result and we are getting a better idea what these CPU's can accomplish as well as the heat and voltage they can tolerate. We can thank RGone,CaddyDaddy, ssjwizard and trents for allot of hard work in this testing they have done.

If I was to make any suggestions for you ...... the biggest benefit you can put to best use in your system is to try and get a better airflow in your case. If I am right you have room for another fan up top and I would greatly suggest adding a fan in behind your motherboard to draw some heat away from your socket area. By by adding these two fans and getting that heat being generated in and around the socket area I think you can add a bit more VCore to your OC and get it stable at your target of 4.4GHZ.

Thanks for the read bassnut, I'll delve into it when I'm done with breakfast and my math assignments ;)

As for the fans, I'm not sure if I can fit another fan at the top of the case. From the specs I think there's only mounts for one 140mm. And even if I could, I have no spare fans, and I'm totally broke with absolutely no income, so I can't go and buy new ones :(
Even if I could I'm all out of 4-pin fan connectors on my mobo (and no money = no Y cables).

Aagh, I'm so regretting now I didn't harvest fans from my old rig before it went to the scrapyard :bang head

Their are areas in my house that look like "the" scrapyard from all the saved pieces from previous computer builds that are no longer in use.

After at least a year and half of dealing with the h0t azz FX processors that are overclocked, we still regularly get new users coming into the forum without good cooling. Neither in the case nor for cpu cooling.

Because of the internal hard-wiring of the FX processors, they are continually trying to raise the cpu speed and at the same time lower the cpu speed to keep the temperature down. Then we come along and wish to overclock the cpu and in so doing we turn ALL the cores on at one time which is seldom if ever done in a normal FX processor setup or usage situation when the cpu is run as AMD designed it to run. NOW we have heat and most still seem totally surprised now at least 1.5 years into AMD FX processor use.

When doing real work where the multiple cores of say an 8 core FX processor can be utilized fully, the 8 core FX is a beast at get work done. It will get h0t though. For games the FX processors are 'just' fairly good and need the cpu speed as high as one can get it but only on 1 or 2 cores for many games and likely only 4 cores on most games. But that cpu speed needs to be as high as possible since the IPC of the FX processor is not as high as the IPC of many Intel cpus. So this leaves most with the need to overclock the FX processor pretty heavily or at least such that the system becomes pretty doggone h0t and this seems to surprise many still.
RGone...

Well, I've been playing around some with the nb/ht speeds, but I can't seem to get it stable at all, at 4.3GHz The closest thing I've come to is [email protected] and [email protected]
I'm also quite curious about the two north bridges. From what I've understood, the FX has its own nb built in? So I take it I should raise both the nb and the cpu/nb current if I raise the fsb multi? Or is one of them enough?

cpu/nb voltage is the only NB named voltage that I ever raise. It is closely related to the voltage for the IMC and needs a raise when raising the CPU_NB speed/frequency.
RGone...

If you only could see the amount of extra fans a such I have kicking around after, like RGone has said my 2 years or so of tweaking my FX builds to keep cool and quiet. So you have to work with what you have for now. For 4.3 you should still be able to get by with stock volts or very close to it.

Try some basic settings ..... CPU VCore around 1.35 - 1.365v and CPU_NB 1.275v and make sure your ram v is set properly for your sticks and bring your NB and HT speeds back down to around 2400MHZ max. Keep an eye on your temps when stressing.

I am currently, like you trying to work out an airflow on a build I did with my old FX 8150 to do some tests with my video encodes. I just haven't had the time to do either the case mod or change out my case. Gotta dig out my HAF 932 and see if it is a better choice or just go with what I got as far as I can.

Back