• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

fx-8370 thermal throttling at ~40.5°C

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

roberto rossi

Hello.

I have a mobo gigabyte 970a-ds3p, and a amd cpu fx-8370 4.0ghz. If the cpu temperature gets up to 40.something°C, the frequency goes down to 1400mhz...

I've easily managed to overclock it into stable 4.72Ghz and 1.488V, but it reaches 50°C, even with my water cooler... and its just not worthy... its better to keep it at 4ghz than 4.7-1.4 fluctuating ghz...

I wish to know if any of you know a way to disable thermal throttling or change the limit temperature, because its kindda annoying. The BIOS, updated, has no thermal throttling option. I havent encountered hidden sections with ctrl f1 kkk.

Thanks

Well, first off that motherboard's VRM is horribly inadequate for an 8370 at pretty much any clock speed, and most of your throttling is likely caused by the VRM overheating rather than anything to do with CPU temps. Run prime for 10 minutes and take a screenshot of the temps and post them here, and we can point out exactly which temperature is causing the issue.

This old thread basically will give you a run down of what's happening. http://www.overclockers.com/forums/showthread.php/745146-OC-with-GA-970A-DS3P

post those screens mentioned above. If your CPU is dropping to 1.4GHZ that is not thermal throttling but AMD Cool and quiet turning your chip down when not being loaded to save on power and heat. I am not familiar with that Motherboard but most likely it is under powered to run the FX8XXX chips when overclocked. Again run prime for 10 min while HWMonitor is open and get a screen shot so we can see what is going on.

As rescuetoaster and bassnut said open Hwmonitor "non pro" and run prime blend, I prefer 20 minutes but 10 will do. If the Cpu or Package temps exceed 70 or 62c respectively stop the test. Then post back here screen shots of Hwmonitor and the following tabs in Cpu-Z Cpu, Spd and Memory, using the in forum hosting tool.
Capture4.PNG

This
Well, first off that motherboard's VRM is horribly inadequate for an 8370 at pretty much any clock speed
This
Run prime for 10 minutes and take a screenshot of the temps and post them here
This
This old thread basically will give you a run down of what's happening. http://www.overclockers.com/forums/showthread.php/745146-OC-with-GA-970A-DS3P
This
If your CPU is dropping to 1.4GHZ that is not thermal throttling but AMD Cool and quiet turning your chip down when not being loaded to save on power and heat
And here's my experience with a 125w cpu in an even less capable board than yours. Just so you know it can be done, but expect to put way more effort into getting far less of a result. http://www.overclockers.com/forums/...houghts-on-my-Overclock-System?highlight=6200
First things first, you should comb through the stickies in the AMD CPU and Motherboard forums.

Hi there again... stress.jpg

I've overclocked from 4000 to 4522MHz, and the max temperatures of aproximately 20 min primetest95 are 54.8°C for cpu and 54 for motherboard... when this happens, cpu frequency falls to 1406mhz... cpu temp falls to 25°C even at max usage, and mb temperature falls to +- 35°C... and then the cpu returns to 4522mhz (22.5x multiplier), reaches +- 50°C w the motherboard, and falls again to 1406mhz......... look at the image. thanks

We did understand what you were saying and our answer is still the same. You won't be able to overclock using that board. You might not even be able to run the CPU properly at stock. The ONLY fix is a different motherboard!

best 140w motherboard to overclock fx-8370

Hi there.

Ive been noticing that my current 4+1 motherboard 970a-ds3p is not good for overclocking mainly because of the vrm stuff.... (i have a fx-8370 oveclocked to 4.5Ghz but it throttles to 1.4Ghz when the mobo and cpu reached +- 54°C)

Someone knows a good 140W (because its cheaper than a 220W (but if its not worthy tell me)) with a good cost-benefit, and good heat dissipation for overclocking my fx-8370 w/o getting to hot, and then not throttle?

I have a watercooler corsair H55.

In this section they are saying I cannot overclock properly with my 970a-ds3p.
http://www.overclockers.com/forums/showthread.php/765783-fx-8370-thermal-throttling-at-40-5°C

So... whats a good motherboard for me? I need sata3......usb3.0....pcie 2.0 (does not care how many slots)...am3+ (fx-8370 125W)... atx... and 8+2 stuff i think..... I have a 500W power supply (i just need 450W with my videocard gtx960 4gb)

Thank you

I did say you didn't need a new thread it'll be all the same people any way. The M5A is a good board but the Giga I linked will be cheaper. If money isn't the issue the get the Sabertooth. It's not so much chipset unless you plan on running multiple cards. It's all about power and heat dissipation

when i purchased my sabre i was overclocking my cpu and it worked wonders probs one of the best 990 boards ive used if not the best but i guess everyone has there own view on boards

The 990fx boards generally get you a better feature set and better stock mobo cooling. That being said, a budget is a budget. If you can only get the 970-ud3p, just know that compared to other boards, like the saberkitty, your board will hold you back from your highest potential overclock. Bear in mind that with the FX 8-cores, your overclock is generally determined by your cooling. The saberkitty can help some there with its granular control of the VRM section, but it won't make much of a difference if you are on a stock cooler or something.

At this time, until I have a better cooling solution, I wouldn't recommend d my board as the saberkitty is superior in all regards except price. My board should share the same VRM section with the 970-ud3p and the 990fx-ud3 r5, and works well for a moderate overclock for sure.

Again the sabertooth is better.

Your budget will dictate your choice. The sabertooth is your best choice if your budget allows. Understand though with only an H55 for cooling that will hold you back as well, probably not much better then the stock cooler. First priority is get your motherboard sorted out and down the road if you need to you can deal with your cooling.

Your budget will dictate your choice. The sabertooth is your best choice if your budget allows. Understand though with only an H55 for cooling that will hold you back as well, probably not much better then the stock cooler. First priority is get your motherboard sorted out and down the road if you need to you can deal with your cooling.

Another food for thought: without granular control over the LLC/vcore, you may end up applying more vcore to achieve stable which would possibly limit your overclock in conjunction with your cooler. Spring for the sabertooth if you can. If you cannot, that is understandable, but as long as you are aware of the limitations implied by your board and cooling, the better place you will be with regards to happiness with your overclock.

Not really... LLC just prevents droop. Whether you hit 1.5v with or without llc is still 1.5v... assuming power savings enabled. ;)

Last edited:
Back