• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

FX-9590 220watt

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

tcar

Registered
Anyone using this CPU any thoughts on it? building a new system for my wife gave me the bug to update mine, was looking at this CPU but man that's some kinda power hungry chip at 220w. anyone know if the ASUS Crosshair formula-z will support 220w I haven't been able to find a spec on it yet.

Any half decent 990FX motherboard should support it fine. Lots of people have overclocked 8350's and 8320's to the point where they were probably using more than 200w at max load.

Like KMO said. I have a 9370 that I play with and they are hot CPUs I can tell you that much. At the same voltage I would gues the 9370 is about 10c hotter that my 8350. Default voltage on my 9370 is 1.5v depending on the CPU Ive seen a couple that were 1.536 so A good board is a must along with good cooling. I would suggest to anyone who wants to buy a 9xxx series chip to seriously consider a 3x120 rad to go with it.

Any half decent 990FX motherboard should support it fine. Lots of people have overclocked 8350's and 8320's to the point where they were probably using more than 200w at max load.

DUH:facepalm: guess I didn't think about it that way.
still like to here what people think of the chip at about double the price of an 8350 is it worth it?

Like KMO said. I have a 9370 that I play with and they are hot CPUs I can tell you that much. At the same voltage I would gues the 9370 is about 10c hotter that my 8350. Default voltage on my 9370 is 1.5v depending on the CPU Ive seen a couple that were 1.536 so A good board is a must along with good cooling. I would suggest to anyone who wants to buy a 9xxx series chip to seriously consider a 3x120 rad to go with it.

I am currently using an H100i but am considering going to custom liquid cooling when I upgrade the CPU whatever I end up going with.

At twice the price I wouldn't bother. Newegg had the 9370 for the same as the 8350 a while back and that would be a good deal. Just realize that this is an 8350 picked by AMD to do a certain speed Most 8350's will hit the same marks with "good" cooling so it's up to you. I grabbed my 9370 when it was cheap and I like it. On a TT AIO cooler I'm running 4.77 with good temps. Others haven't been so lucky, their CPU was set higher for volts from factory so it really is a crap shoot. Some have an 8320 that clocks as good or better than a lot of 8350s. Technically when you get to the nuts and bolts they are the same CPU and some are good and some aren't so good.

At twice the price I wouldn't bother. Newegg had the 9370 for the same as the 8350 a while back and that would be a good deal. Just realize that this is an 8350 picked by AMD to do a certain speed Most 8350's will hit the same marks with "good" cooling so it's up to you. I grabbed my 9370 when it was cheap and I like it. On a TT AIO cooler I'm running 4.77 with good temps. Others haven't been so lucky, their CPU was set higher for volts from factory so it really is a crap shoot. Some have an 8320 that clocks as good or better than a lot of 8350s. Technically when you get to the nuts and bolts they are the same CPU and some are good and some aren't so good.

^^^^^This, additionally when looking for a motherboard if you plan on overclocking it. There are maybe a handful of motherboards that I would even consider putting andy 8 or 9 series Fx chip on. I have seen so many people come to this forum complaining about how they are having problems running these chips. A CHV-Z will definitely be able to run it well.

^^^^^This, additionally when looking for a motherboard if you plan on overclocking it. There are maybe a handful of motherboards that I would even consider putting andy 8 or 9 series Fx chip on. I have seen so many people come to this forum complaining about how they are having problems running these chips. A CHV-Z will definitely be able to run it well.

I have the CHV-Z thats why I asked about it in particular. just didn't think my question through before I asked :screwy: Lol

I upgraded my mother board earlier this year but I was on a budget so I kept my old CPU so now I want to go ahead and upgrade it.

I used the 8320 in the system I just did for my wife and honestly I'm rather impressed with it (4.5ghz stable) but was thinking to go a little more for my upgrade kinda trying to decide if I should just get an 8350 and hope for a good one or spend the money and go for the 9590.

Get the 8350. The extra money for a few hundred mhz, isn't worth it, imo. Put the money saved towards an upgrade, or put it towards the loop you are thinking of doing.

Or split the difference and go for the 9370 $240 at the Egg get some good rads and you're off to the races. There are a few of us on here who reall ypush these FXs on a regular basis, all are on "good" water , I have the 6350,8350 and 9370 and all have been over 5.5. Do I run them like that 24/7 no! But I have put them all through their paces and they all top out in the same range so as I said earlier they go as high as your cooling can accomodate.

If you already have an 8320 I wouldn't even get another Cpu, It's all pretty much luck of the draw and if you're running 4.5 stable now and want more, invest in a custom loop. If you can do 4.5 now on an H100i you should be able to get a few hundred more stable 24/7 with a custom loop. It will also allow you to push the pee out of it if you really feel the need.

If you already have an 8320 I wouldn't even get another Cpu, It's all pretty much luck of the draw and if you're running 4.5 stable now and want more, invest in a custom loop. If you can do 4.5 now on an H100i you should be able to get a few hundred more stable 24/7 with a custom loop. It will also allow you to push the pee out of it if you really feel the need.

the 8320 is in my wifes new rig that I just built, I'm looking to upgrade mine still running an older 4 core chip. I'm really impressed with the way hers turned out though with the 8320 so I'm thinking I may just go with the 8350 and a good custom loop and see how far it will go. Lol I don't know maybe I'm just jealous that I built her a better system than mine:eek:

I've never done a custom water set up before and so have alot of questions but I guess I should post that over in the cooling section. thanks for the input guys.

I've never done a custom water set up before and so have alot of questions but I guess I should post that over in the cooling section. thanks for the input guys.

Just do you r research first, some in that section can get a bit grumpy when people come in asking questions without doing the research first. Just FYI :shrug:

The 9590 is, for all-intents and purposed, a heavily overvolted and overclocked Vishera chip. It might have marginally more headroom than an 8320, but all-in-all the experience will be similar. The 9590 may be more hand-picked from a particularly solid stepping, but other than that it's like buying an OC graphics card, you're paying for someone else to do something you already know how to do, and enjoy. ;)

All that being said, an H100i or Kueler 240 will be the lowest watercooling you would want if you want to match the 9590's speeds (or use a 9590). I have found this H60 works fine for clocking my Wishera to 4.3 without too much overvolting, but if I go much higher voltage-wise it can start to hit 70C, and I'm not comfortable running it like that long-term.

The 9590 is, for all-intents and purposed, a heavily overvolted and overclocked Vishera chip. It might have marginally more headroom than an 8320, but all-in-all the experience will be similar. The 9590 may be more hand-picked from a particularly solid stepping, but other than that it's like buying an OC graphics card, you're paying for someone else to do something you already know how to do, and enjoy. ;)

All that being said, an H100i or Kueler 240 will be the lowest watercooling you would want if you want to match the 9590's speeds (or use a 9590). I have found this H60 works fine for clocking my Wishera to 4.3 without too much overvolting, but if I go much higher voltage-wise it can start to hit 70C, and I'm not comfortable running it like that long-term.

Nor should you. I believe max temps for AMD is 65 c, you really should be aiming for mid to upper 50's for day to day use.

Just do you r research first, some in that section can get a bit grumpy when people come in asking questions without doing the research first. Just FYI :shrug:

Thanks for the advise guys I already read through the "how to article" here on the site and it was informative but I'll check out the links you provided as well.

I am using the h100i in my wifes new rig with the 8320 and max temps fully loaded is about 52c @4.5ghz 1.4vcore.
I had thought the H100i would do better than that but oh well it's certainly good enough.

Tcar now that you have enough posts you should really consider adding your rig(s) to you signature. It can really cut down on confusion. Just click the user cp up by the menu tabs and edit your profile and signature. :attn:

cool will do.

Back