• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Gaming PC/ College Workstation

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Knu, is there any reason that you picked out the 7850? It's almost 100 dollars more expensive and I think it may be too much for my preferences.

I simply maximized performance within the budget you provided. An AMD A8 APU + 6670 could probably max out all of those games, to be honest. I can edit my recommendation for any price range you'd prefer.

Also, would a Samsung 128GB SSD be worth it at 90? And would a PC P&C MKIII 600W be any good? Newegg is going to have a sale on it shortly so I was wondering if it would be worth it to pick up. I've generally heard that they are quality.

Is it the 830 series? Those are some of the best drives on the market.

PSU wise, depends whether or not you plan on ever adding a second video card as a cheap upgrade.

Yeah. It's 15 dollars more expensive than the drive I picked out, though I doubt I could ever use more than a 100G anyway on a SSD. No, Crossfire/SLI seems like too much hassle IMO.

I'm not sure. I may add one down the line. I've been using a 5400rpm Laptop drive for a while so a regular 7200rpm should be an improvement for me. I think it may just be easier for me to buy the GPU that I'm going to stick with and add an SSD down the road, less money wasted.

Well, less powerful would be a 6870, more powerful would be a 7850, both would plow through those games no sweat, it's just the 7850 would last longer/play newer games longer, etc, since it's just more powerful.

I think the 6870 would be fine. I have a 360 for FPS and other games and I'm hoping the 6870 would plow through those games fine for a while with DX11.

Actually, the only other requirement I have is that the PSU be 80+ Bronze. I forgot that. That's why I thought I heard they were bad.

I don't agree with personal preferences based on zero data, but I'll redo the cart for a OCZ ZT 550. Efficiency only changes how much power you draw from the wall, it doesn't make any difference beyond that.

Capture.JPG

Hmmm. Now that there is a daily deal on the Silencer 600 for 50 bucks, that with my RAM of choice is cheaper. I think I may go with that as it gives me slightly extra headroom for more case goodies. I'm a stickler for some reason when it comes to opportunities and deals.

Back