• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Gaming PC/ College Workstation

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Actually go to the page, that's after MIR.

The OCZ ZT 650 is only $10 more and fully modular, plus with the $15 combo with the RAM it ends up being a better deal.

Newegg reviews aren't anything reliable. First of all, there's only 23 reviews, which is too small of a sample set to prove anything conclusive. Second, just due to human nature, you're more prone to go online and complain about something when it works than go online and praise it when it works well. Therefore, you get a disproportionate amount of people complaining that makes products seem worse then they actually are. Therefore, I'd rather make decisions of trustworthy reviews than the laugh riot that most people here consider Newegg reviews to be.

http://www.jonnyguru.com/modules.php?name=NDReviews&file=print&reid=262

That's true. Eh, worst comes to worth I can RMA or return it albeit that would be unfortunate.

Not really, not at your budget. Plus I mean, somethings can only open so fast (you won't noticed the difference if a word document or MP3 is on a SSD vs spinner). The majority of the benefit is had with the OS on the SSD.

What if I was able to salvage some old HDDs? I have one from an older PC, a more modern 7200rpm 500gb, and the one in this laptop if needed. I found I was a benefactor of my step-mom's uncle and got his old computer. The only things I can really steal are the HDD and case fans, but it cuts the budget some.

That is a massive CPU cooler. Wouldn't a Hyper 212 work just as well for my purposes like a Mild 4.0ghz OC?

4.0GHz is like stock cooling range, lol. The TS 140 isn't considered all that big either. Hyper212+ is 4.5GHz on Sandy Bridge, 4.2GHz on Ivy Bridge, the TS140 will get you to 4.5GHz on Ivy.

That was the rough line up of pricing. The only reason I went with that PSU was that it was one of the 3 600W PSU in the guide on here and it received a good rating on that website. I will go back and check through all of the recommendations again and see what pops up to save some money. Seriously though, thank you very much for your time and help.

Meh, that's why I don't like PC Part Picker, they give a false impression of "best price".

The PSU itself is mediocre, not terrible, it's probably fine. The thing is, you need 500W to run that rig and at least 650W if you want to go CFX in the future. 600W is kinda in between, overkill for what you have now but not enough if you want to add another card...

Would it be powerful enough if I were to also upgrade to a more proficient single card set up?

Yup. The newer cards are more power efficient. You might be able to do dual 7850s on a 600W, as they actually draw less power than the 6870.

Ok, cool. It may be a bit overkill, but for my first build, I'd prefer to have that extra bit of safety.

500w for that system? I would absolutely LOVE to see him get anywhere near 500w. I hit 350 from the wall during bf3 on a 580 and 2500k at 4.5ghz. He could easily run two HD 6870s on his psu providing it has the connectors. Goodluck with your install :).

Back