• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Gaming rig suggestions for 1k?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

crimson1566

I havent built new gaming rig for 6 years. I figure its time to upgrade. What does everyone here suggest for components? It'd be air cooled. Thanks for the help.

Do you want to be able to overclock it?
Do you need an OS?
What Screen resolutions do you plan on playing at?
Do you want all the "eye candy" at high settings?

I would see if you can get into a 4690K

with a midline z97 board such as the x97 AsRock Extreme 4 the Asus equal

If you have a Micro Center near by your money will go a lot further

you can get in under $ 300.00 for the combo

Then I would look at a 780 or 290 for video.

You will need a 550 to 600 watt unit, buy something decent

the rest will be case, stix, cooler and drives. Go with a very low cost case that has decent airflow and see if you have enough left for a small SSD for a boot drive and reuse your old spinners for the time being. look to the 212 Evo and some low cost 1600Mhz memory. You may have to drop into a 280X or 770 to make it happen. if 1080P you will still be fine

Sorry no time to link this up

Do you want to be able to overclock it?
Do you need an OS?
What Screen resolutions do you plan on playing at?
Do you want all the "eye candy" at high settings?

either 1920x1080 or 2560x1440. I haven't bought the monitor yet. I don't need the OS. Yes overclocking would be worth it. I've oc'd all my past rigs. All eye candy isn't as important as getting the best bang for the buck since video cards seem to drop so fast in price. I'd rather have pretty good-really good then spend a hell of a lot more to have the best.

The biggest thing will be that monitor/resolution. If you are at 1080, a 770/280x will be fine. But if you go 1400, you will want nothing less than a 780/290.

No doubt, using that and the case probably will be the difference needed to hit your 1K budget with a 780/290 ......... :thup:

Hi. Given the suggested components and just 1080 res with no OC, what's a good suggestion for the casing and RAM?

Hi. Given the suggested components and just 1080 res with no OC, what's a good suggestion for the casing and RAM?

Casing, do you mean the Case itself? If so it's a personal choice, I usually look for a case that either comes loaded with fans or at least has the option to add them.

DDR3 1866 Ram is the sweet spot for ram these days, with Cl 9 timings. Though the the sticks posted above are a pretty good deal, you're just not going to see much difference gaming at 2133 over 1866.

downsize this sucka and build m-ITX!
Corsair 250D and EVGA Hadron are the 2 most bad arsed cases on the planet.
Phenomenal cosmic power, itty bitty living space.

Not to rain on that guy trying to sell his system, I hope he can find a local buyer that will pay what he wants but its not even close to the same league as an i5 with a 290.

An hr drive is not that far, I'd highly think about it. MC has decent selection and prices on cases also. Your looking at $384 for the above cpu\mb combo. That same combo is $305 at MC almost $80 dollar savings, worth an hr drive to me especially as I like to have my stuff fast.

Personally I would use the savings to move up to a slightly nicer MB.

http://www.amazon.com/Gigabyte-GDDR5-4GB-2xDVI-Graphics-GV-R929OC-4GD/dp/B00HS84DFU

Gigabyte R9 290 GDDR5-4GB 2xDVI/HDMI/DP OC Graphics Card GV-R929OC-4GD

This is the card I got. 100% every game I have tried has been maxed out and run great!

A lot of the reviews complain about failed cards so maybe I got lucky (but comes with warranty and amazon or newegg would replace DOA) but a lot of them it sounds like abused this card with mining and thats why it failed.
Either way mine is still going strong. I got it in May.

The performance is pretty close to a gtx 780 (ofcourse a gtx 780 is definitely better), but at a price that beats a 4gb version of a 770.
I personally picked it because its factory overclocked and has one of the best coolers you can get on an r9 290.

Ofcourse look at other r9 290s, just dont get stock cooler. This one just has the best price and was the one I picked.
Also free games from amd with it isn't bad either.

My computer was $1100 (and will be a bit more when I get a good cooler) but thats because of the ssd I got, but the performance is outstanding!

Last edited:
Back