• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

General Cooling Help!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

conor1123

Hey guys, was searching around for a site that could give some advice and here i am!

-Build-
Case: Currently I am running off a workstation based case without a top or a side panel sitting on my desk.
CPU: 3930k stock speeds
CPU Cooler: Corsair H80
RAM: 16gb at 1600mhz
GPU: 2x EVGA 580 3GB SLI (6 total if i can add)
Mobo: Sabertooth x79
Fans: Stock Corsair fans with the radiator(push/pull config) running at around 2200rpm (i think :/) on the medium setting. And 1 extra 120mm blowing on my second 580 which seems useless.

First question: Are my idle temps/load temps alright?
Ambient temp - 23-27c
Here's a screenshot of my temps at idle after a boot for almost 30min
WHFSd8P.jpg.png

Now when i run prime95 on the maximum heat test my temps will almost instantly shoot up to around 63-70c. Is this normal? or am i being unrealistic because im running that "maximum heat" type of scenario? Basically i want to know if i can easily get 4ghz very safely and how to do it. I've read through some of the SB overclocking guides and they just go too in depth and past my knowledge. All i want is that 4ghz :p Should i ditch the H80 for a nicer air cooler? Im not used to how hot these run i guess! Let me know if you want any more info! Id appreciate the help :)

-Thanks, Conor

Last edited:
OK... personally I think 70C load temp for stock clocks and voltage is high on water. If that 70C was a load temp for an overclock I'd say you are good to go. You could always try to reseat the heatsink with fresh TIM.

The H80 is as good as a top air cooler. Might check your fans on the H80, add better/more fans. Also case blockage is there a lot of mesh where the H80 fan is?

I'm sure you installed it right? If your not sure install it again. You might have a hot CPU too.

The H80s have a pretty high return rate also, mass manufacturer at the lowest cost.

OK... personally I think 70C load temp for stock clocks and voltage is high on water. If that 70C was a load temp for an overclock I'd say you are good to go. You could always try to reseat the heatsink with fresh TIM.

Yeah thats why im here :p I'm probably going to try and reseat it.
Forgot to mention that i put it all together like last week. People were saying id have to let the TIM break in? Not sure if that has anything to do with it.

Yeah thats why im here :p I'm probably going to try and reseat it.
Forgot to mention that i put it all together like last week. People were saying id have to let the TIM break in? Not sure if that has anything to do with it.

TIM "cure time" / "burn in" varies from brand to brand. Some say a few minutes, some say up to 200 hours (Arctic Silver 5). I've seen temps drop during the first 3 or 4 power-up/full load/cool off period but not noticed any changes after that.

Your temps are very high for a stock CPU under an H80. My guess is either you either don't have it seated properly or you have a defective H80... and there are a lot of defective Corsairs out there.

Last edited:
Back