• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Getting back into watercooling, need help choosing parts

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Take a look at my sig, you should find my build log there with the Maelstrom 35x2 setup. I didn't really mod anything but still made a build log and enjoyed doing it as well for others to join in for the adventure.

Yeah I looked at it, nice build log. By the way, what did you think of the fans? They have the right color scheme so if I don't lose too much performance, I think I'd rather go with those and save the pain of painting the gentle typhoons and possibly unbalancing them. I'd have to order the gentle typhoons anyway and at 20ish a piece, I don't want to scrap too many...

The single rad will be a backup plan if the 2 120.2 aren't sufficient.

What do you guys know about the Swiftech Lok-seal compression fittings? Are they any good? I could get them around 8$ from a canadian supplier so lower taxes, no duties, cheaper shipping.

I'm glad to see that my initial list didn't change much, I wasn't that far. I mean I switched from dual loop to single loop, changed the TIM from indigo to MX-4, possibly dropped 1 pump and changed fittings.

I might grab the 2nd pump anyway 'cause I can't seem to find a 35x nearby, only a 355 and with the shipping, etc. It would cost a small fortune to get a second one later, I'd rather pay a bit more upfront and have it sitting there either as a backup or as an unnecessary booster than having to pay like 200 for a single pump later.

Speaking of pumps, is the heatsink for the 35x necessary? Though I don't see how I could fit it with my current res/pump combo.

A 355 with the 35x top is a great performer. You can put a 35x top on a 355. I used two 355 pumps for over a vear. Worked great. Used the XSPC restop. Back then there was no 35x though.

A 355 should be enuff for your loop, but since you want that pain in the *** res, you can mount two 355's to it instead of the 35x pumps.

There were a few problems some had with the XSPC restop. More like bad moudling, messing up pump impellers. I never did have an issue till finally removing them to change to the 35x and go to single loop. After cleaning etc I discovered a teeny seeping leak where the acrylic was glued.

I still have both 355s in the boxes, one has the XSPC res, I haven't sold anything yet, Heck I got a D5 vario, A original DD res given to me by DD for the 355, and other sorts of goodies I need to sell someday.

Thanks! :thup:

I went with those fans cause A. they were like 10 bucks a pop and B. they are just under the AP-15s in performance/sound etc. For 10 bucks more it wasn't worth it for me as I was going waaaaay over budget as usual and wanted to get 2 fans for 20 and they were PWM as well. Went great with the theme of my build which is black/white and whatever color I set on my LEDs which is great.

If you need a new reservoir go grab a Maelstrom-35X2 which is the reservoir with the 2 PWM Pumps (MCP-35x). Make sure you get the pump wire split so both pumps are sync'd and you can control them via MB since the power for the pumps is a molex straight from the PSU. Only issue is dealing with priming and bleeding. If you're up to the task I would grab that and call it a day. Its up to you but once you get it going you'll love it.

If you want to go budget than do as con said which is grab some MCP-350s, or 355s and switch the top on them with the 35x top which will increase pressure/flow on them but won't be controlled by PWM. Make sure to keep this as a one loop and pump in series if you go 2 pumps. Best performance imo with redundancy. Dual loops were huge back in the day but since then new tech WC toys are out nowadays and in single loop its as good or better than a dual loop not to mention it costs much less.

In the meantime I've been reading about the swiftech fans, they seem to a bit quieter or at least have a more pleasant sound than the typhoons. I'm gonna have to check if I can get these locally, they sound pretty good for my purpose. Right now my fans enter a resonance mode once in a while, I couldn't find which one exactly and it's rather random but I'm pretty sure it started when I swapped 2 Noctua NF-P12 for the GT on the corsair H80. They seem to perform well enough but I have some concerns about the noise.

Ok I was looking at that Maelstrom res, same price than the XSPC but it looked like it was limited to single loop setup. I like the idea of a thermal indicator but I'm not a big fan of the green display. How's the build quality on that one?

Conum, any alternatives for the res?

Oh and I'm not arguing with either of you, I wasn't sold on the whole dual loop thing to begin with, just wanted to experiment with that a bit if possible. I'm gonna start calculating the tube lengths tomorrow and guesstimate the restrictions. I want to see if I can evaluate how close to the pump's limit I'd be. I'm not saying I don't trust you or anything like that, it's simply a side effect of the engineering training hehe, I like math and numbers.

I'm not saying I'm not willing to change the res either, I was simply thinking about plans B, C and D, in case plan A doesn't work quite as well as I hoped. So some flexibility is nice.

Slightly out of topic but importing stuff is a pain. So far, most of the stuff I like is only available from a few retailers in the states.

Ex. the replacement 35x (I know I can make the equivalent with a 355, simply explaining my point with a concrete exemple even though it's not the best one). $99 for the pump; $30 for the cheapest shipping available; duties $6; taxes $8; conversion $3.2; brokerage $33; disbursement $6.67. Final cost : $185.87 so an increase of 87.7%

Now do the same procedure for a larger order. Initial cost : $977.63; cheapest shipping $102.11; duties $58.66; taxes $68.30; conversion $26.99; brokerage $70.17; disbursement $6.67. Final cost : $1310.53 an increase of 34%.

See how some items don't scale as much? So making 1 big order makes more sense and therefore I'm trying to avoid splitting them as much as I can.

I'd rather not have to order more than once for the stuff I can't get locally (by locally I mean anywhere in Canada, 'cause there's definitely no store within 400-500km from my city with that kind of material).

That's why I prefer maybe spending a tad more, even if it means I'll end up with spares than having to deal with multiple orders.

Like I said, I'm evaluating options.

Everybody is pushing for 120.5 total, ideally 2x 120.3 and I see why, basic rules of the thumb, experience, etc. Those GTX670s push a lot of heat, the cpu isn't that much better (when it can transfer the heat which it seems to be having a hard time to do with the H80). But when I consider the desk I'm using now, the available airflow, the room's limited space and my goals, that are a few conflicts there.

External rads would be in the limited space between the desk and the wall, not that great or too close to the heater.

Internal rads would require heavy case modifications (and I can't say I'm too confident about my personal skills) or a different case (I can't go with dual width cases, it wouldn't fit the desk; can't be much higher either I have maybe 2.5" of clearance on top of my current Fractal XL R1).

So there are going to be tradeoffs here and there. I believe the first one is to start with 2 120.2 rads and possibly add a 120.1 or 120.2 later on. Minimal risks, easy to fix, fits into the case I like. Logical.

Speaking of goals, I just want to reiterate what I'm looking for : I want something clean looking (maybe even classy as far as computers go anyway... but you understand what I mean), stable, quiet, allow a bit more OC'ing than the standard GTX670 fans would but nothing extreme that will be a future build. A small project to keep me busy during my holidays (because that's where my budget will come from, no trips this year).

When I decide to go all out, you'll know about it haha. Now THAT would make a great build log. But not this time.

Sorry if this post seems a bit confusing, I think I just spent like 30 minutes writing all this and it's getting late. And sorry for another wall of text.

Ok quick update. I found a new supplier who has most of the stuff I was looking for at approximately the same price than the us supplier, so I'd save a lot of money and possible issues with customs by going that route.

Now I have 4 small problems :
1) Their res selection is rather limited, they pretty much only have XSPC so I'd end up with the split res with 2 pump mounts I started with or I can get the Maelstrom from NCIX but it ends up a bit more expensive.

2) Their pump selection is abysmal, they don't have most of the "normal" brands. They seem to rebrand Laing pumps themselves. I'm guessing this is the closest to the MCP35X:
https://www.dazmode.com/store/product/dazmode_storm_ddc_3_2_pwm_18w_pump/

I can't use those 3/8 barbs with my tubes so I'd have to go with a custom top, how about this one? https://www.dazmode.com/store/product/ek-ddc_x-top_csq_-_acetal/

Alternative pump (not pwm :( ) http://www.ncix.com/products/?sku=20141&vpn=MCP355&manufacture=Swiftech&promoid=1294

3) The reservoirs I selected where custom painted white by FrozenCPU, this new supplier has the same models but only in black. This is not really a question, just pointing out that it's gonna have an impact on the theme I had in mind and I need to think about it. Price wise, the black versions are around $20 cheaper (and from a "local" supplier)

4) There seems to be a bit of a controversy about killcoils and nickel plated blocks/fittings. EK apparently voids the warranty if you use killcoils. Should I revert to pure copper or consider an alternative biocide/corrosion blocker?

On the bright side, they have reasonably priced Bitspower compression fittings so I think I'll grab those instead. Not the same look than the chrome/carbon fiber monsoon I was gonna use but basic black should work well enough.

If the pump is "good enough" and I drop the killcoil, I may avoid ordering from the states.

Ok quick update. I found a new supplier who has most of the stuff I was looking for at approximately the same price than the us supplier, so I'd save a lot of money and possible issues with customs by going that route.

1) Their res selection is rather limited, they pretty much only have XSPC so I'd end up with the split res with 2 pump mounts I started with or I can get the Maelstrom from NCIX but it ends up a bit more expensive.

Go with what you believe you want. Its not up to us but up to you. Peronally I'd get either or but would slant a little more with switech's reservior.

2) Their pump selection is abysmal, they don't have most of the "normal" brands. They seem to rebrand Laing pumps themselves. I'm guessing this is the closest to the MCP35X:

Its close enough. Thats basically the MCP-355 modified with PWM. Thats right behind the MCP-35x with out the top. You could go with that pump and grab the - MCP-35x Top - but you'd have to look around to see if they have it at your local stores/sites. If you're going with the XSPC reservoirs here are some good choices - Single Pump Res. - - Dual Pump Res. -
With those you can plant the MCP-355s or any DDC pump really.

Heres a Martin review of a - MCP-355 - with different tops.

Unfortunetly the price on those older pumps seem to be pretty close to the price in the states for a 35x. Choose wisely and with your pocket or let loose. Up to you. :p

I can't use those 3/8 barbs with my tubes so I'd have to go with a custom top, how about this one? https://www.dazmode.com/store/product/ek-ddc_x-top_csq_-_acetal/

That top is good but if you're mounting the pump(s) to the reservoirs you won't need these tops. Thats also if you get the Maelstrom with the single or dual top.

Alternative pump (not pwm :( ) http://www.ncix.com/products/?sku=20141&vpn=MCP355&manufacture=Swiftech&promoid=1294

3) The reservoirs I selected where custom painted white by FrozenCPU, this new supplier has the same models but only in black. This is not really a question, just pointing out that it's gonna have an impact on the theme I had in mind and I need to think about it. Price wise, the black versions are around $20 cheaper (and from a "local" supplier)

No worries. You can rethink the whole theme and make adjustments. Sometimes you need to compromise from your original plan to move forward. It happens to the best of us.

4) There seems to be a bit of a controversy about killcoils and nickel plated blocks/fittings. EK apparently voids the warranty if you use killcoils. Should I revert to pure copper or consider an alternative biocide/corrosion blocker?

Some guys can throw some insight on the arguement about that. Some folks were upset with EK if I recall correctly in the past with the whole flaking issues.

I'd use the killcoil and don't bother with EK.

On the bright side, they have reasonably priced Bitspower compression fittings so I think I'll grab those instead. Not the same look than the chrome/carbon fiber monsoon I was gonna use but basic black should work well enough.

If the pump is "good enough" and I drop the killcoil, I may avoid ordering from the states.

Even better and you'll save more $$$ or you can take that and add it to the build.

Get a tube res. 150 mm tall minimum. They bleed easier and are so much easier to fill. Bay reses are a pain. As you have been reading about. Or read what I used on my two DDC 3.2 below.

That's a standard Laing 3.2 DDC pump with the stock top. Pretty decent. Enuff for your loop. It's not PWM, or having the custom (very well done top by Swiftech) But you can voltage control it, my 3.2's were pretty quiet with the XSPC restop on them.
And you get standard G 1/4 threads.

This is the restop without the pump.
IMG_0799.jpg

Find me pics on this top, Daz is lazy.

You never tell them, they will never know. Even Swiftech has a warrenty disclaimer about the Hydrix they sell with a premade loop. It's to protect them from stoopid people, your not one of them. Use Petras PHN Nuke. Or IANH Dead water, or Mayhems biocide. You look at the price of the liquids vs distilled? Remember we recommend you drain/refill every 6 months. I drain, fill, run for a day, drain again and fill every 6 months. Since I use killcoils and PHN, it probably costs me ... wait for it... $3. Now you look at 2-3 liters every 6 months with the magic fluid. $$$

Bee ohh so careful, to the point of putting something on your pliers/wrench etc. They scratch and the plating is thinner than the hair on my head.

Yeah, I'm checking out the possibility of painting acetal, if that's possible then I'll simply grab the black rads and paint everything (rads, cpu block, gpu block, sli bridge). Of course I'd take all the necessary precautions. It'd fit the theme even better because right now... black case, black motherboard, black cpu block, black ram, black vid cards, we wouldn't see much.

For the pump, I also found this one : https://www.dazmode.com/store/product/dazmode_storm_ddc_3_25_18w_pump/

It looks like a 3.25 version, like a 35X but cheaper and no mention of PWM, that's kinda weird, right?

I did read the review, I was simply checking what you guys thought of the "rebranding" which is more like a debranding because it's a simple Laing pump with no visible modifications.

I did find the MCP-35X top but it's like $25 and it won't add pwm (obviously) so I end up with a slightly inferior product at a higher price.

For the res, yeah I was looking at the dual pump res, that's what I meant with the "split res with 2 pump mounts"

As I said, I'd need to order the killcoil in the US because I can't find it anywhere around here. So far I managed to find an equivalent for everything except THAT. (and the vid card backplates which are back order but they can be added later)

@ Conum
It's not PWM? It says so on the label? What about the second one I just linked? the 3.25 version, which one would be better?

I couldn't find a good pic for the EK DDC X-top, ek's website only has 2 pics (including the one on daz's website) but as GTX said and you suggested, I'll probably end up mounting it straight to the res so I won't grab a custom top at all.

As for bay res, that's what I had before and it didn't seem too hard to bleed. I was thinking bay res simply because it would've been a bit easier to install near the top of the case. Dunno how clean I could make the setup if I use a restop like yours. I'm not saying it's a bad res or anything, just trying to see where I'd install it.

Thanks for the warning about the fittings. Geez are there any good fittings out there? Monsoon, hard to use. Bitspower, scratch easy and thin plating.

Yeah, I'm checking out the possibility of painting acetal, if that's possible then I'll simply grab the black rads and paint everything (rads, cpu block, gpu block, sli bridge). Of course I'd take all the necessary precautions. It'd fit the theme even better because right now... black case, black motherboard, black cpu block, black ram, black vid cards, we wouldn't see much.

For the pump, I also found this one : https://www.dazmode.com/store/product/dazmode_storm_ddc_3_25_18w_pump/

It looks like a 3.25 version, like a 35X but cheaper and no mention of PWM, that's kinda weird, right?

Nope, bit better than the 3.2. Been out for a few years. You ever use Martin or Skinnee for reads? I think they tested it. Basically the same, neither is PWM. Swiftech is the one who had Laing make a PWM pump for them, the 35x, and the engineer at Swiftech made an awrsome top for the pump for flow/pressure. Alll Laing did is make the pump and the impeller, Swiftech makes the top. It's the first PWM. They also contracted Laing for a PWM d5. A D5 is a MCP 655. A 355 is a 3.25 all the same stuff. Swiftech took it up a notch and made their own top for the 35x. And it's a winner winner chciken dinner.

I did read the review, I was simply checking what you guys thought of the "rebranding" which is more like a debranding because it's a simple Laing pump with no visible modifications.

There are 2-5 companies that buy Laing pumps and rebrand, even Danger Den did it, Alas, they are closed, I have met the DD guys in RL, great folks. Well is as Gabe from Swiftech.. Glad you haven't got a laugh at the Koolance site yet.

I did find the MCP-35X top but it's like $25 and it won't add pwm (obviously) so I end up with a slightly inferior product at a higher price.

For the res, yeah I was looking at the dual pump res, that's what I meant with the "split res with 2 pump mounts"

As I said, I'd need to order the killcoil in the US because I can't find it anywhere around here. So far I managed to find an equivalent for everything except THAT.

Well then you go to the jeweler and show him a pic of a kill coils and say, 'make me one from .999 silver or some close approximation. Or you buy a small ingot of silver and have fun with a hammer.

(and the vid card backplates which are back order but they can be added later)

ok found the killcoil, it's just not in its usual form... https://www.dazmode.com/store/product/uber_pure_killcoil_99_9991_silver_wire_0_25mm_-_250mm/

And yes, I read Martin and skinnee. That's in part why I was looking at that EK DDC top, it was used in Skinnee's review of the 35X and he got slightly better results than the standard 35X top.

It gets a bit confusing trying to figure out all these variants of the same pump. Skinnee's review mentioned that the 35X was a DDC 3.25 with PWM so that's what I was trying to find. Instead I find a 3.2 with pwm (according to the seller and the Laing sticker on the damn thing, look at the pic) and a 3.25 with a tach (probably voltage control instead of PWM). I was hoping either of these would be roughly equivalent to the 35X (excluding the top if I use a bay res, with a restop it's another story). Otherwise I can buy them from the states at around 100$ each (plus shipping duties, blah blah blah so closer to 300 for 2 before I'm done, at that price I'm grabbing 2 and have a spare, I don't want to be down for 2 weeks should something happen to pump A).

But after your comment I checked back Martin's and he includes a comparison with a 3.25, so yeah they're definitely not the same.

After a quick search, I couldn't find a definitive success story about painting acetal but there were a few tricks (like sanding and using a flexible plastic adhesion promoter before painting with regular plastic paint). I think I'll order an extra gpu backplate (it should have the same coating than the waterblocks) and run a few tests on that. Worst case scenario? I waste $30.

Last edited:
Awesome and will be following up on your log. :thup:

Only thing I noticed is you ordered two seperate heatsinks for the pumps but unfortunetly from my understanding they specifically made a heatsink as one piece for 2 MCP-35xs with a MCP-35x Housing on a maelstrom or not. I don't think those heatsinks will work together but only one of the pumps.

This is the heatsink I'am talking about - MCP-35X2 Heatsink -

Yeah unfortunately I didn't notice that until I opened the box today, the single HS is also a bit wider than the Maelstrom's base, there are metal brackets that block it.

The heatsink itself is rather large, to the point where it would overlap almost to the screws on the 2nd pump.

I can't find it locally so I would've to reorder from the states. Instead I'm gonna ask some help from my father (he's a bit more handy than me) and we'll try to salvage them by removing 1 fin on one side of each heatsink and cut the corner blocked by the metal bracket. Won't be as pretty but should work anyway.

Honestly though, even if I knew they had a special X2 heatsink, I might've tried 2 singles anyway. I'm keeping my options open so if I want to try dual loop, I simply remove the pumps from the res, add tops or use a different res and voila, I can have a dual loop system. Having the 2 heatsinks seperate will allow me to have one on each pump no matter how I redesign the system.

Back