• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Getting to Win10 from Win7

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Silver_Pharaoh

Likes the big ones n00b Member
I find myself wanting to get Windows 10, but I have a few fears about it coming from Win7.
I want to be able to go back to Win7 if I feel Win10 isn't for me. I don't like the forced updates much but I hear it's more snappy vs Win7 and Win7 is almost out of service life sadly :-/

I know I can install Win10 and use my Win7 key, but i'm worried if I do that, my Win7 key will be flagged as "used" or something and I won't be able to re-activate my Win7 copy if I switch back to it. And I'm also worried If I image my new Win10 install, if I restore the image later on, that Win10 installation will be un-activated and I'll be out of luck because I've previously used my Win7 key to initially setup that Win10 install.

I just want to be able to revert back to Win7 but still be able to "upgrade back" to a saved Win10 system image and not have my Win7 key used up or whatever..

Just for your info, you have until 2020.

I upgraded a Windows 7 Laptop to Windows 10 on December 31, 2017 because I heard there will be no free upgrades to Windows 10 in 2018.
Since customers who used assistive technologies could still upgrade to Windows 10 at no cost, I am also interested if anyone here has found out the hard way if that program has ended, or if free upgrades to Windows 10 go through under any circumstances today?
After upgrading to Windows 10, I reverted the laptop back to Windows 7 with no problems.
The laptop now is able to be upgraded to Windows 10 at no cost at any time because it was activated once.

But like I said:

Microsoft Support Lifecycle Windows 7.png

I don't like the forced updates much but I hear it's more snappy vs Win7 and Win7 is almost out of service life sadly

Eh, I don't know about snappy, but test driving W10 before you commit to it is a good idea. It also gives you the opportunity to roll back to your previous OS from within Windows 10. Sort of a System Restore to the previous install.

I upgraded a Windows 7 Laptop to Windows 10 on December 31, 2017 because I heard there will be no free upgrades to Windows 10 in 2018.
Since customers who used assistive technologies could still upgrade to Windows 10 at no cost, I am also interested if anyone here has found out the hard way if that program has ended, or if free upgrades to Windows 10 go through under any circumstances today?
After upgrading to Windows 10, I reverted the laptop back to Windows 7 with no problems.
The laptop now is able to be upgraded to Windows 10 at no cost at any time because it was activated once.

But like I said:

View attachment 198797
I have the Win10 media creation tool loaded up on a USB, so thats the way I'm going to try it. With some luck it'll activate.
Eh, I don't know about snappy, but test driving W10 before you commit to it is a good idea. It also gives you the opportunity to roll back to your previous OS from within Windows 10. Sort of a System Restore to the previous install.
Exactly what I hope. Not totally sold on Win10 quite yet. :-/

I'll spare your thread my views on that OS. They're pretty well documented elsewhere at OCF. It's just fine for a lot of people, and a lot more simply put up with it due the efforts of M$ to make life hard for the rest of us. LOL Either way, it is certainly a functional OS and does a lot of things for the end user. If you find things you don't like about it, the internet and this thread http://www.overclockers.com/forums/showthread.php/773926-quot-Cortana-you-re-fired!-quot have loads of fixes and work arounds. I'm sure Thiddy's thread does, too, but I got thrown out of it so I can't post the link. :rofl: It's the top Sticky in the Microsoft Operating Systems section (as I'm sure you know). Thiddy's thread was much more pro on the subject, mine not so much, but useful stuff in both of them. Mine started out bashing the OS, but evolved in to a pretty helpful guide for fixing things M$ didn't necessarily want you to "fix".

And I would certainly appreciate your input and take on Windows 10, so keep us informed as to how it goes for you. I still have my W10 Pro disc and may someday give it a shot again, so I'm open to any and all input on the subject.:thup:

But like I said:

View attachment 198797

I tested this a few weeks ago and in fact the free Win 10 Upgrade is OVER. The link to the free upgradee is gone etc. Just for those who wish to know.

Z

You can get a Windows 10 Pro OEM license key for under $40 at Kinguin.net and use it to register after installing from a USB flash drive created with Windows Media Creation Tool. I've done so a number of times. Kinguin has had an internet presence for several years and Microsoft has not shut them down. And my definite impression is that Microsoft wants everyone moved over to Windows 10 and they aren't too picky about how it's done.

I'm going to see how a Windows 7 Ultimate key from them goes. If it works I'll probably put that in my main rig and put my W7 Pro in the second rig. :D I'm pretty sure M$ won't let me upgrade to W10 Pro from XP Pro for free. LMAO!

I tested this a few weeks ago and in fact the free Win 10 Upgrade is OVER. The link to the free upgradee is gone etc. Just for those who wish to know.

Z

Damn :(

I wonder if the media creation tool actually contains the Win10 installation media? or if it just preps your PC for Win10?

You can get a Windows 10 Pro OEM license key for under $40 at Kinguin.net and use it to register after installing from a USB flash drive created with Windows Media Creation Tool. I've done so a number of times. Kinguin has had an internet presence for several years and Microsoft has not shut them down. And my definite impression is that Microsoft wants everyone moved over to Windows 10 and they aren't too picky about how it's done.

Would be interesting if it's a legit site, much cheaper

It is the multi GB full installation that will install but may not activate.

I always wondered how assistive technologies installation used to work. It activated when standard did not. But I guess not any more.

just try the win10 without activation, try it for a while on another drive, preserve you win7 install, you'll be going back pretty quick.
I have given up on win10 in every way.
I would be rigging an animation and the rig would bsod and reboot with a message that windows has an update waiting.
I would be in the middle of a week long render, check it one morning and find a message on the screen saying, "we installed an update for you", thanks Microsoft.
the only way to stop this crap is just never let it on the net, you can postpone it 35 days, but are you going to remember over a month from now????
and then there is Microsoft itself, they turned one update out that just bricked a bunch of systems and the only solution was to do a complete reinstall.
yea, hop on the win10 bus........................to hell!!!!!!

MS shutdown the techbench dump site but it was mirrored here:
http://windowsiso.net/
The keys provided are for install only so none of the iso's will activate into a fully functional state.
Not my thing but for those willing to test stuff maybe.
Just make sure you have a backup image and recovery disc beforhand.

I'm still on 7 myself because I demand the upmost reliability and stability in a system.
If I were you Id image your system or use a different hdd, install 10 offline, don't register it and give it a try, you may like it or maybe not.

As for upgrading to 10, I run an IT department for a company with about 100-150 computers. 10 will not make you system faster, if anything it will slow it down. Every system I upgraded to 10 has ran slower or had no change.
Logging into a user account for the first time can take ages. For most this is not a big deal, for a work place or shared system its a pain.

A lot has changed and it will be a learning curve coming form 7. The start menu is complete trash and tabloid nonsense. You will probably want to install classic shell unless if your a big fan of MSN and app stores. I can't stand how they make things so hard to find the control panel unlike in 7 where you can find what your looking for rather fast.

Updates often will brake the system and it will BSOD and have to revert back before the updates were installed.
A lot of older apps form the XP era and back don't always work.
Then we have the mass slew of bad, bad BAD! security practices that 10 defaults to.

Basicity 10 is trash out of the box unless if your a yuppie and like msn, apps stores, live online, and don't care about you safety and security online. It can however be tweaked and made into a much better OS, possibly better then even 7.

Now onto the good, Its cheep, Its newer and will be better supported then 7 in a few years and will be supported after 7. It has DX12 support, better hardware support (looks at kaby lake)
You can now run the CMD in full screen on a 64bit system too. :attn: aside from that I can't think of anything.

View attachment 198797

He can upgrade latter and use 7 after 2020, just no sec updates after 2020 and limited app support.

Last edited:
As far as I knew, the free upgrade for Windows 10 was a limited time offer that lasted 1 year. You can only upgrade to Windows 10 from Windows 7 and above so Vista and below are SOL.

I just went ahead and made the jump to Windows 10. Might as well, It's not 8/8.1 and I don't think that "extended support" is as useful as you might think.

Hi dion256us. 'Extended Support' just means Security Updates are still being made so you can use Windows Update until that date. It doesn't mean actual phone/online support. It just means a date until Windows Updates are available for download: Until 2020 for Windows 7 and until 2023 for Windows 8.

When you say "it's not 8/8.1" what do you mean?

Windows 8/8.1 was bad and that Windows 10 is not that. That's all I meant. Skip ME/Vista/8/8.1. The rest weren't so bad but I do miss XP so.....

What about the co-dependency that skylake has with 10? That is a problem waiting to 'surface' in an ugly manner imo. I will only buy amd cpu's and boards just because of that. MS tries to slip in telemetry crap in all of it's updates with the vaguely and stupidly worded "security update kbblahblahblah". IE11 is a telemetry problem all of it's own (to hell with edge) and I believe even login has been compromised. To say that linux looks better every single day is an understatement.
The slowdown on startup is obviously for telemetry purposes. Newer pc's don't get slower but faster so pretty freakin obvious.
Windows 7 is enough of a problem to keep updated without sacrificing security. The last thing I want to do is install 10 and have a whole new nightmare of updating nonsense coupled WITH a security nightmare on top of it. MS really scrooed the pooch as did google.

Last edited:
Freedom of choice is a beautiful thing.
Windows 8/8.1 was bad and that Windows 10 is not that. That's all I meant. Skip ME/Vista/8/8.1. The rest weren't so bad but I do miss XP so.....
don256us, after a 15 second Classic Shell install, Windows 8 becomes anything you want it to be, without any of the most common Windows 10 complaints.
I am typing this on Windows 8 which has a Windows XP start button I made myself:

Win8-XP.jpg

What about the co-dependency that skylake has with 10? That is a problem waiting to 'surface' in an ugly manner imo. I will only buy amd cpu's and boards just because of that. MS tries to slip in telemetry crap in all of it's updates with the vaguely and stupidly worded "security update kbblahblahblah". IE11 is a telemetry problem all of it's own (to hell with edge) and I believe even login has been compromised. To say that linux looks better every single day is an understatement.
The slowdown on startup is obviously for telemetry purposes. Newer pc's don't get slower but faster so pretty freakin obvious.
Windows 7 is enough of a problem to keep updated without sacrificing security. The last thing I want to do is install 10 and have a whole new nightmare of updating nonsense coupled WITH a security nightmare on top of it. MS really scrooed the pooch as did google.

Im running skylake on 7 amd havet had one problem yet. Even have 3xx series chipsets ans kabby lake systems running 7 at work.
And yes windows logins have longins since been compromised, look up kon boot.

Also with emet no longer supporting 10 your better off wit 7 for now

Im running skylake on 7 amd havet had one problem yet. Even have 3xx series chipsets ans kabby lake systems running 7 at work.
And yes windows logins have longins since been compromised, look up kon boot.

Also with emet no longer supporting 10 your better off wit 7 for now

I haven't had any problems with my Skylake/W7 rig. Maybe meant Kaby Lake? My rig runs like a champ. W8.1 isn't, err, too hideous. How was that? LOL It's Windows 10 Lite if you're in to that sort of thing, while Windows 7 is Vista +.

Back