• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Getting to Win10 from Win7

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Sorry. I was referring to the skylake chips full potential not available but in windows 10, as if intel and ms were now full partners. Read it somewhere here. Was no big deal but to me when a chipset mnfctr makes their cpu to specifically only fully support one OS, either the OS provider or chipset provider is crippled somehow and we are all missing out in some tidbit feature. Playing favorites syndrome I guess I was referring to.
As for kon boot, I know you can get the login key. I was referring to telemetry itself. Not that I care if ms has my login details. I have nothing to fear from that. Still, if some facet of their telemetry game is raising it's ugly head when I boot, that is a concern. Snoopy ********. It is a game that is really not worth playing. MS will ultimately win and I will ultimately not install it. Even my tablet... Linux works well there too. But having two devices running windows 7 is like double the trouble.
With the ridiculously confusing update process of xp, to 7, then vista 8, 8.1, 10, in like the blink of an eye it is rather absurd their antics. At least linux has actual timelines they try to adhere to, with the full support as well. MS, hmmm they are off their gord.

W10 is a Borg OS, but people will continue to go to it, so I'm all for finding new and interesting ways to frustrate M$' efforts to assimilate all of our computing with it. Yay third party widgets and under the hood tinkering! LOL
The thing with W10 is it ties so many seemingly disparate things together. Turn one thing off and something entirely different won't work. The best answer I've seen is wagex's solution. Shut it down at the hosts file or firewall. I would probably be using it if it weren't for two factors semi unique to my needs-Media Center and Laziness. :D

Interesting points!
Really not much love for Win10. Honestly I have no use for it, Win7 is perfectly fine for me right now, so I may just install Win10, play with it and see if I can get it activated and then switch back to Win7 till 2020 or so.

The thing I hate the most, and I haven't even tried Win10 yet, is the rebooting after updating. That's a real **** off especially if I start folding again... Is there no known way to disable auto-rebooting for this?

Sorry. I was referring to the skylake chips full potential not available but in windows 10.
Oh, you do know ryzen is the same.

- - - Updated - - -

I haven't had any problems with my Skylake/W7 rig. Maybe meant Kaby Lake? My rig runs like a champ. W8.1 isn't, err, too hideous. How was that? LOL It's Windows 10 Lite if you're in to that sort of thing, while Windows 7 is Vista +.

Well I do have a kaby lake system at work that shipped with 8.1. But we upgraded it to 10 right away. I'll be dropping a 7700 kaby in my system soon and I'm not going to 10. We will see how that work. I bet it will be fine.

10 is more or less 8.1 2.0 and 7 is mostly just vista under the hood.

Back