• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Gigabyte 890FX-ud5 problem/help.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

EYS

Registered
Hey guys, I have this motherboard and would like to know about the BIOS settings. But here's my issue.

Well about a month ago I put together my first build and everything has been working great so far (Fast, plays all games I throw at it greatly) except the only problem is if I play a game it will randomly shut down maybe 15-30 mins into game play to a black screen and a few seconds later and my monitors will read "No DVI signal". And then I'll have to reboot my system. Although if I get to the task manager fast enough before it completely shuts down I can get to my desktop where it will read "AMD driver has stopped responding and has recovered".

Sometimes it wont do it for a while, but other times it will do it often when I'm playing games. Although it has done it twice when I was just browsing the Internet and it then lead to the bsof only those two times.

Here are the specs.

Monitors: ASUS VH242H Black 23.6" (3, I have an Eyefinity setup)

Case: COOLER MASTER HAF 932 BE

CPU: AMD Phenom II X6 1090T BE

CPU cooler: COOLER MASTER Hyper 212

GPU: GIGABYTE Radeon HD 6970

PSU: CORSAIR 650W

Motherboard: GIGABYTE GA-890FXA-UD5

RAM: G.SKILL Ripjaws Series CL7 4GB http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820231303

SSD: Mushkin Enhanced Callisto Deluxe 2.5" 40GB SATA II MLC SSD

HDD: Western Digital Caviar Blue 320GB 7200 RPM

All the temperatures are fine so it's not overheating.

I've uninstalled drivers, I've installed the latest drivers multiple times. Used Driver sweep in safe mode as well.

I've Updated the BIOs on the motherboard.

Happens with just one monitor running too.

I've messed around with the vcore voltages, DRAM voltages, and north bridge voltages, still no success.

And I have never over clocked any of it.

I don't know what else to do, so I have these pics of my bios so maybe someone here can see if I have something set wrong.

CIMG0033.jpg

CIMG0035.jpg

CIMG0036.jpg

CIMG0037.jpg

CIMG0038.jpg

Thanks a lot if you can.

Is the gpu overclocked? I would suggest making a signature (by going to your user Cp) so that we can easily see your settings.

I will say two things though:

1. Cpu overclock settings will result in bluescreens and hardlocks, but not driver errors.

2. I've never gotten a driver error at stock clocks (on the gpu).

Here's my suggestion. Find the driver version released before the latest drivers and install those instead. I'm willing to bet the "latest" drivers are a beta version with a few bugs.

Is the gpu overclocked? I would suggest making a signature (by going to your user Cp) so that we can easily see your settings.

I will say two things though:

1. Cpu overclock settings will result in bluescreens and hardlocks, but not driver errors.

2. I've never gotten a driver error at stock clocks (on the gpu).

Here's my suggestion. Find the driver version released before the latest drivers and install those instead. I'm willing to bet the "latest" drivers are a beta version with a few bugs.

Nope, haven't overclocked anything at all on this computer. (Due to the problems I've been having).

And I've tried multiple drivers, older ones and up to the newest 11.1. (also tried the hotfix).

And also it only went to the bsod twice out of countless times it just showed the driver issue.

Try to run everything at all stock speeds (cpu included). Play your games, and see if it still happens. If so, maybe an operating system install will fix it. If they don't error, we can work your overclock up in steps to find any new problems. :thup:

Try to run everything at all stock speeds (cpu included). Play your games, and see if it still happens. If so, maybe an operating system install will fix it. If they don't error, we can work your overclock up in steps to find any new problems. :thup:

Everything is at stock speeds, I've never over clocked anything at all.

So I should reinstall windows then?

Do you see any problems with my bios settings though?

Don't reinstall just yet. You have overclocked things before (according to your bios shots)... Three questions:

1. Why is the cpu-nb multiplier at 12?

2. Why is the cpu voltage increased, but the core speed not overclocked?

3. Why are some settings on auto, and random ones manually set?

Don't reinstall just yet. You have overclocked things before (according to your bios shots)... Three questions:

1. Why is the cpu-nb multiplier at 12?

2. Why is the cpu voltage increased, but the core speed not overclocked?

3. Why are some settings on auto, and random ones manually set?

Oh oops sorry I forgot about that, it used to be set at 2000 (although computer still had issues, it's had this certain issue since day one before I ever even entered the BIOs in the first place to mess with anything.) and I switched it to that because someone told me I should try that.

And I was messing with a lot of the voltages because some one is another section was telling me that my voltages could be set wrong and to change them a little bit. And I've increased voltages and decreased voltages multiple times to different parts to see if it would fix the problem.

Alright, here's the deal. Go into the bios and find the reset to optimal defaults button. Save and exit then rerun your barrage of tests.

Alright, here's the deal. Go into the bios and find the reset to optimal defaults button. Save and exit then rerun your barrage of tests.

Alright will do, thanks for helping man. I'll be back later with results, hopefully good ones haha.

Hmmm.

If can, save your data (back up) and then do one of two things:

a. Use Windows restore to go back to a previous date where settings were stable, or

b. Reinstall Windows completely.

Hmmm.

If can, save your data (back up) and then do one of two things:

a. Use Windows restore to go back to a previous date where settings were stable, or

b. Reinstall Windows completely.

Alright, I'll try that, thanks.

I'm suspicious that you may have a video card problem. If you can put another video card in (if you don't have one, maybe you could borrow one from a friend) and run your tests it may come clear.

I'm suspicious that you may have a video card problem. If you can put another video card in (if you don't have one, maybe you could borrow one from a friend) and run your tests it may come clear.

Every time I've ever encountered an AMD/ATi recovery error like this, it's been because of either an overly ambitious overclock, or a bad video card right out of the box. Happens once in a while to even the best manufacturers and system builders.

Yeah I'll probably have to rma it, nothing has worked so far...

Thanks though.

I had similar issues with my computer till i got my voltages set right. Remember AMD boards are rated for 1333mhz with stock volts, not 1600mhz.

Before you RMA your vid card you need to get your mobo voltages and timings set right. Ive looked over your bios screens and you have a major problem. You are running RAM on the 1600mhz divider and you have not upped the IMC voltage. You did up the cpu volts which needs to be set to auto if you are not overclocking. Your northbridge voltage needs to be auto as well.

First go to the 1333mhz divider and leave every voltage at auto save the dram voltage that is manually set. Now run your machine with these settings and see if the issue persists. If it goes away then the next step is to get your RAM running on the 1600mhz divider. I have the same mobo as you and i needed to up my cpu-nb voltage (IMC) to 1.125v to make my machine stable. This was one bump past auto as auto on this board is 1.1v. You might need to bump it a little higher if things still are not stable.

I had similar issues with my computer till i got my voltages set right. Remember AMD boards are rated for 1333mhz with stock volts, not 1600mhz.

Before you RMA your vid card you need to get your mobo voltages and timings set right. Ive looked over your bios screens and you have a major problem. You are running RAM on the 1600mhz divider and you have not upped the IMC voltage. You did up the cpu volts which needs to be set to auto if you are not overclocking. Your northbridge voltage needs to be auto as well.

First go to the 1333mhz divider and leave every voltage at auto save the dram voltage that is manually set. Now run your machine with these settings and see if the issue persists. If it goes away then the next step is to get your RAM running on the 1600mhz divider. I have the same mobo as you and i needed to up my cpu-nb voltage (IMC) to 1.125v to make my machine stable. This was one bump past auto as auto on this board is 1.1v. You might need to bump it a little higher if things still are not stable.

While this is great advice (I won't argue that), I will however say that is more Dependant upon the ram. My ram will run 1600 @ 6-7-6-20-20-1T @ 1.6v all day. :shrug:

Chance, if you look at the link to the RAM provided it is stock 1600mhz RAM. He stated everything was stock and he is having issues but he is running on the 1600mhz divider which is not normally able to run with all stock settings. We have the same board and i know that the 1333 divider works fine at stock settings but needs a cpu-nb bump to get stable at the 1600 divider. I saw he tried to bump the actual NB and that can appear to work but it will still be unstable. Even if your RAM is rated for 1600mhz that doesnt mean your board or cpu can handle the memory subsystem running that fast with stock volts. His RAM will run 1600mhz as that is what he bought but when he runs on the 1600mhz divider he over taxes his IMC on his CPU and has instability. He tried upping the NB voltage which appears to make things ok, i know cause i tried that to, but it wasnt stable. Once i found out that the NB was the actual NB and not the IMC (cpu-nb) i changed the nb back to stock and upped the cpu-nb a notch and then it was stable at stock settings with the 1600mhz divider. This could be the instability causing his compy to crash not his vid card. Im fairly certain of it tbh.

I suppose that may be true. However, I mentioned before, ram rated for 1600 means it ran at the factory. A proper rating for ram would be if they sent someone to your home and found out the settings it ran. My current ram, running at 1600 6-7-6-20-20-1T, is 2000mhz 8-9-8-24-30-2T stock ram. I am willing to bet that 1600 @ 6-7-6-20-20-1T is probably a bit more taxing on the IMC than 1600 @ 8-8-8-24-30-1T (like yours) so I come back, to my point of the ram being a possible factor.

I'm a huge fan of slow speeds and tight timings, so by all means drop to the 1333 divider and run for stability. If it passes, drop some timings. Possible Memtest x86 is on order?

Back