• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Gigabyte 890FX-ud5 problem/help.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
So you're overclocked at DDR3-1600 (800 MHz) instead of running the JEDEC 667 MHz (DDR3-1333) values?

Yeah, but I though I was suppose to set the ram at the settings the package says.

I've had the same mb for a few months now and have tweaked and benched it up and down. It is very picky with ram speed and timings. The timings in your first post ss are all over the place. Here is ss's of my timings and maybe if you tried those it might work for you. One at 7 8 7 and one at 8 8 8. I'm assuming 2 sticks of ram in slots 1 and 3, same color slots, the white slots. Ram speed/timings seem to cause bsod's later after running awhile whereas cpu problems happen earlier, imho. Copy not just timings but write recovery and all, leave auto what is. Good luck.

View attachment 92706View attachment 92707

Alright I'll try that and my RAM is actually in slots 2 and 4 due to my Hyper 212 cpu cooler that blocks the first slot.

I still get an F7 BSoD every now and again. That is purely memory related and it has happened with multiple chips with this board. I know it's not board related because this board clocks my other chips like mad. I'm pretty positive that the ram support list isn't just there for show. :rolleyes:

Ram support list? Like as in my ram isn't compatible with this mobo?

Yeah, but I though I was suppose to set the ram at the settings the package says.
Not if you're having problems and using those numbers means overclocking the RAM, which it does in this case.
Ram support list? Like as in my ram isn't compatible with this mobo?
Yes, that's possible. As I mentioned above ...
I'm not saying this is definitive but neither the RAM motherboard test list nor the Gigabyte QVL for that board show these products as compatible. It wouldn't be the first time G.Skill RAM rated to run 800 MHz on an Intel system would not run it on an AMD system. I'm not saying the RAM won't run at it's advertised speeds, either, just that there is no proof from either manufacturer that it will. As such, if the system is having problems it would seem more prudent to turn the RAM speed down until the problem is resolved than to try and force it to run overclocked.
There are similar sticks to yours listed in the QVL but that doesn't mean much. For example, Kingston HyperX is good RAM but the HyperX model numbers ending in 'X' are rated for Intels, not AMDs. That 'X' at the end is the only difference between some model numbers but it can make all the difference in the world.

Not if you're having problems and using those numbers means overclocking the RAM, which it does in this case. Yes, that's possible. As I mentioned above ... There are similar sticks to yours listed in the QVL but that doesn't mean much. For example, Kingston HyperX is good RAM but the HyperX model numbers ending in 'X' are rated for Intels, not AMDs. That 'X' at the end is the only difference between some model numbers but it can make all the difference in the world.

Oh I see, So I guess if nothing else works, I should just try to get some new RAM and try that.

I think at the very least, until your problem is resolved, you should run your RAM at the JEDEC 667 MHz spec instead of overclocking it.

Last edited:
I think at the very least, until your problem is resolved, you should run your RAM at the JEDEC 667 MHz spec instead of overclocking it.

Well the problem still occurred even when I didn't even mess with the settings when it was at 1333mhz. Although, yeah that's what I'm running it on now.

I run my g. skill at 1.65v. Voltage makes a difference when at higher clocks speeds. At 1600Mhz or faster I usually have the ram at 1.65v, minimum 1.635v. The AData 2000mhz has been over 1.7v with the Gigabyte 890fx mb at 2100Mhz. Don't be afraid of volts with the ram, it affects stability. Also mb voltages; ht link and nb voltage control are all pushed up a notch on my system, which runs at 3640Mhz/ram @1733Mhz@8 8 8 20 2t normally. Here is my cpuz with ram at 1.65v.

cpuz3640.jpg

I run my g. skill at 1.65v. Voltage makes a difference when at higher clocks speeds. At 1600Mhz or faster I usually have the ram at 1.65v, minimum 1.635v. The AData 2000mhz has been over 1.7v with the Gigabyte 890fx mb at 2100Mhz. Don't be afraid of volts with the ram, it affects stability. Also mb voltages; ht link and nb voltage control are all pushed up a notch on my system, which runs at 3640Mhz/ram @1733Mhz@8 8 8 20 2t normally. Here is my cpuz with ram at 1.65v.

View attachment 92832

Yeah I've tried many voltages for my ram but it would still have the problem, I think I may just try to order some different ram.

Try replacing the button battery (may be bad battery), it's cheap enough and worth trying before rma' ing the board... a lot cheaper than return shipping :attn:

Are you talking about the cmos battery? If he is not retaining bios settings when the computer has been without power for a time then I would agree with that but I don't think that is the problem he is having.

So, I'm going to weigh in on this 1600 mhz ram thing. Most 1600 mhz ram is actually extra good 1333 that will run stable on some AMD systems if it is given extra voltage and/or the timings are relaxed. If you look at the "SPD" tab in CPU-z the JEDEC tables usually show that "1600" ram when run at 1600 frequency needs 1.65v, up from the 1.5v which covers it all the way through 1333. And even then the CPU-NB of many current AMD CPUs or the motherboard electronics won't really play well with it set to 1600.

Back