• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Gigabyte 890FXA-UD5 Temp sensor?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

zexmarquies01

Does anyone know if the CPU temp sensor on the board is screwed up?

I have the 1055T, using the Corsair H50 cooler ( Link here )

Every Temperature monitor program I have ( including AMD's overdrive program ) is saying that my CPU's cores are all idling around 14 - 16 Celsius. Which is around 60 F. My digital thermometer says that the ambient temps around the intake of my case is about 72F or 22C.

I know these temps can't be correct, since typical water radiators can't cool below ambient. But I have no idea how far off the temps are either. They could be 5C off or 15C off. I have no idea.

oh, and in the bios, it reports my CPU's temp to be around 30C, which seems more reasonable. Is there a big difference between the load in the bios, and the load when idling in window? Could i just set my temp programs to offset the temps by about 12C ( at least, for the ones that have the ability )??

Any help? I don't want to start Overclocking until I know my actual temps first.

EDIT: In AMD's Overdrive program, In the temperature section in the board status, It's saying all my CPU cores are 16C, but it's saying TMPIN1,TMPIN2,and TMPIN3 are 30C,27C, and 30C, in that order. Anyone know where those sensors are? Are they ALL ambient / intake temp sensors? Or is one of them my overall CPU temp by any chance?

Last edited:
Your CPU temps can't be below ambient as you noted. The 30C mobo temp is from a thermister below the CPU. It will typically read 5-7 degrees C lower than the CPU core temps. when the CPU is under load. AMD uses a temp offset starting with the Phenom series CPUs so there is no way of knowing exactly what your CPU core temps are even if they were not FUBAR.

As a rough guestimate you could take the current bogus CPU core temp and add 22 C to it to be close to the true core temp. The 22 C comes from 15 degrees offset to get to the 30 C mobo temp and 7 C to compensate for the diff between core and external CPU temps.

http://www.alcpu.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=63&t=892

Does anyone know if the CPU temp sensor on the board is screwed up?

I have the 1055T, using the Corsair H50 cooler ( Link here )

Every Temperature monitor program I have ( including AMD's overdrive program ) is saying that my CPU's cores are all idling around 14 - 16 Celsius. Which is around 60 F. My digital thermometer says that the ambient temps around the intake of my case is about 72F or 22C.

I know these temps can't be correct, since typical water radiators can't cool below ambient. But I have no idea how far off the temps are either. They could be 5C off or 15C off. I have no idea.

oh, and in the bios, it reports my CPU's temp to be around 30C, which seems more reasonable. Is there a big difference between the load in the bios, and the load when idling in window? Could i just set my temp programs to offset the temps by about 12C ( at least, for the ones that have the ability )??

Any help? I don't want to start Overclocking until I know my actual temps first.

EDIT: In AMD's Overdrive program, In the temperature section in the board status, It's saying all my CPU cores are 16C, but it's saying TMPIN1,TMPIN2,and TMPIN3 are 30C,27C, and 30C, in that order. Anyone know where those sensors are? Are they ALL ambient / intake temp sensors? Or is one of them my overall CPU temp by any chance?
There is little to no difference between the BIOS temp and the Windows idle temp but you can compare them directly with programs like HWMonitor, which will show either a "CPU" or TMPIN0 that reads the same motherboard sensor as BIOS. HWMonitor also shows the core temp - and there is only one on-die core sensor regardless of how many temps are shown. Because of variations in case airflow, component placement, and CPU heatsink the difference between the "CPU" (socket) temp and the core temp varies wildly from system to system and is usually worse with water cooled systems like yours. With air cooling there's a fan on top of the CPU stirring up air in the CPU socket region. With water cooling that fan is missing and, often, heat builds up throwing the CPU (socket) temp farther off the core temp.

If the radiator is drawing outside (non-case / room) air the core usually runs 4-6°C above ambient at idle with no OC and no overvolting (vCore ~ 1.35v). If you're showing 16°C with an ambient of 22°C and if the H50 rad is using room air then I'd say the temps were off 10-12°C as you've guessed. :) If you're using case air then you'll need to figure a way to measure the temp IN at the rad and calculate the probable offset from there.

I don't know why some boards have a problem relaying the core temp information but they do (and it is the board - some people have moved the CPU to another board and then get the right temp :shrug: ). Have you updated to the latest BIOS, yet ...?

Back