• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Gigabyte AM3 Board Opinion?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
That board should be fine. I don't foresee any real issues other than the 890GX chipset. I prefer and FX, but it's just me.

Can you take me to chipset school? What is the major difference between them...is there a place I can go to read about all available chipsets or anything? Is assrock a decent company, or are they gonna go in the tank like dfi did to me lol

Asrock is alright. Their latest Sandy Bridge boards have been solid.

As for chipset school, the main differences in the GX and FX boards are the number of x16 pci-e lanes. Obviously this isn't quite as important in this case. The not-so-well-known upside to the FX, however, is the increased ability to overclock. Typically, the FX label means high performance. On motherboards, FX means they are a much better quality of product because GX boards aren't "supposed" to be overclocked on.

ah...ok.....Well I was reading regarding the assrock board it has overclock ability and it has a overclock built in function or quick 50 or whatever they call it.....also, just while I have ur attention is any dedicated video card gonna be better than ati radeon 4250 onboard....this is the one I was lookin at because it was in my price range..
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814131360

Well basically, all dedicated cards are better than onboard. Most onboard use system ram to process video so dedicated gets its own ram. You might try looking in the classies for a card. They are sooo cheap.

Ok...cause I will tell you...just like with newegg first i looked for bit...which I was under the understanding never go with less than 128 bit and never less than 1gb of memory....now as far as rather to go with ddr3 or 5 or even 2 has me mindboggled......and trying to figure out what the onboard video is equivilant to in regards to a video card is enough to make me beat my head on the desk

Lol, for what you want to do, just about any card will do. However, if you shop used, you could easily get two or three times the performance, with the same money. And that's not a joke.

I need a little animation as my profile picture of a guy beating his head on the keyboard....You guys are playing in the pros on here and I just now got out of little league

Lol, I used to be right where you are now. In fact, of my 5000+ posts, probably 2/3 are questions of my own since I'm still a noob by some standards. The benching team really helps though. You get a feel for the limits of your hardware, and how to get that last ounce of performance. :thup:

So if you have 2 boards...and one of those boards has a heatpipe across the bridges and whatnot is it considered better because of better and faster heat loss?

Well, I'm not sure what you mean by "bridges" but most times, the motherboards that have beefier cooling systems will be more efficient and overclock farther, and more stably.

ok one more question......If I have a 4gb chip right now of ddr3 and I get a 4gb chip later can I run dual channel or does it have to be a kit of matched memory to be able to run in dual channel?

Yeah...that's where my big "uphill" is going to be...Now hearing about the possibility of a X2 becoming an X4....Do I tell the brother to spend the money on the X4 955 or do we chance the X2 565; I realize it's only $40 more but that's money he could spend on the power supply.....Decisions decisions decisions
Most games won't use more than two cores. That being said, there are more games every week that do. I'd get the X2. It'll be plenty for now and if it doesn't unlock for some bazaar reason you can upgrade later.

ok one more question......If I have a 4gb chip right now of ddr3 and I get a 4gb chip later can I run dual channel or does it have to be a kit of matched memory to be able to run in dual channel?
It doesn't HAVE to be a matched kit but you'll have better overclocks if they are. In the mean time your whole system will slow down because the RAM is running at half - NOT a good idea.

Well basically, all dedicated cards are better than onboard. Most onboard use system ram to process video so dedicated gets its own ram. You might try looking in the classies for a card. They are sooo cheap.
Actually, a lot of GX boards (including that one) have 128 Mb of Sideport memory that doesn't eat up system RAM. IGP's still aren't as good as must discreet graphics cards but at least some of the newer ones don't dig you twice. ;)

Thanks agent Q......I think personally as well as my brother I am going to go with that biostar board....it appears it gets decent reviews and doesn't break the bank, as I am not trying to build us nasa computers, just a ton better than the current.....I wish I would have waited instead of buying the x4 so him and I both could have got the x2...Also, one more question is it possible to run 1 ddr3 chip thats say 1333 and 1 thats a 1066? I would think they would both in turn run at dual channel 1066 but once again, i have been wrong alot! lol

Lets assume for a moment that with an x2 b.e. and the biostar motherboard and ripjaws 1066 with a $60ish video card could I get away with a 430w PS and still have overclocking ability, and its a antec if that helps?

If it's a cheap Antec I wouldn't buy it.

What's your NEW budget? Obviously you're trying disparately hard to spend a lot less so what's the deal???

And if you're only getting a $60 video card you may as well use on-board video and save your money for something good later on. Better that than gimp the whole system trying to buy more than you can really afford.

Last edited:
This is on a system I am working on for my brother...Just a general question really It is a certified 80% I do believe...bronze level I think

Back