• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

GIGABYTE GA-990FXA-UD3 - Black Screen

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

bulfen

Registered
Hi Guys,

Did get my GIGABYTE GA-990FXA-UD3 today as first step in my upgrade plan for the winter. Everything put in and connected but just get a black screen. No bios or anything signal to the screen. Could it be something wrong with it?
I keept all my hardware from the old computer so I know that work.

Here is the hardware list that I tested with the GIGABYTE GA-990FXA-UD3

- AMD Athlon II X4 630 AM3
- Kingston ValueR. DDR3 1333MHz 4GB, CL9
- Western Digital Caviar SE16 500GB SATA2
- Silver Power SP-SS500, 500W PSU
- GAINWARD GeForce GTX 560 Ti Golden Sample - 1 GB GDDR5 - PCI-Express 2.0

Any suggestions? Just send it back or?

Any lights on the mobo? fans spin? If so, are you certain you plugged everything in? Power to the GPU, the video cable from the GPU to monitor... etc?

And to be clear, your monitor doesnt have a signal? Or does it catch a signal but still no picture/bios?

Any lights on the mobo? fans spin? If so, are you certain you plugged everything in? Power to the GPU, the video cable from the GPU to monitor... etc?

Sorry, I should have told that everything is running. Fans spin, Hard drive starts, DVD player runs. But no signal coming up on the screen. Tested some older gainware card I had but same with that one also. Have tried to disconnect on thing after the other but nothing seem to help.

Have you tried the card(s) in a different PCIe slot?

And again, you plugged the monitor cord into the GPU, not the motherboard, correct?

If some of EathDog's suggestions don't work, I suggest removing the CPU and checking for bent pins.

Have you tried the card(s) in a different PCIe slot?

And again, you plugged the monitor cord into the GPU, not the motherboard, correct?
Yes, did try both cards in diffrent slots. And yes, I plugged the monitor cord into the GPU. :p

If some of EathDog's suggestions don't work, I suggest removing the CPU and checking for bent pins.
Did allready check that. Also the CPU together with everything else works 100% with my old mobo.

Just to make it alittle clear it's not the first time I change the mobo. :)
Also found while googeling someone who seem to have the same problem but no solution for it.

B

Last edited:
Quick update. All is now up and running. Seem to be a problem with these mobo. After taking out and put the GPU in again sevral times it suddently started to work. The other guy who had the problem with the UD5 had done the same thing to get his to work.
Now everything seems fine. :)

Very strange. I hope the problem doesn't repeat itself.

I wish I didn't have to post this, but yeah, it repeated itself. I bought the board and everything turns on, no picture, I hooked up a case speaker, and it gives 3 long beeps, 1 short, then repeats. The manual confirms a vga problem. I've had it out of the case, hooking up any variety, or lack of, that I can think of and nothing changes. I was gonna return the board this morning and admit defeat, but I'm gonna keep plugging my video cards in til the damned thing posts for me too :)), I also bought a brand new Corsair AX 850 PSU for this build, the power works great, but the fan doesn't even turn.Just my luck..........

The fan isnt supposed to turn for that PSU until it reaches a certain temperature or load... You could have easily gotten away with Seasonic X560 PSU (unless you planned on SLI of course)

Nice first line of the signature there....may want to remove that before someone gets upset. ;)

It seems like it's a common problem with these boards. Also spoke with a friend of mine who told me that one of his pal's had exactly the same problem with his GIGABYTE GA-890FXA-UD3. Everything running but no picture on screen. Removed the videocard sevral times and suddently it started to work and never had any problems after that even when he did buy a new GPU and put it in.
Just an wild idea but wonder if there can be something inside the PCI-E port from the factory? Or the mobo just having a hard time registering that there is a GPU connected?
Anyway, mine is running smooth now. :)

If it blacks out again I would RMA it right away. I wouldn't continue fooling with it when something is obviously wrong and this is a confirmed defect in this series. I would RMA it and then turn around and sell the replacement without using it. Sell it as a NIB warranty replacement and use the proceeds to buy a different board.

Hmmm I guess I'm just lucky :) 5 Gigabyte builds and not 1 problem with video,
2 GA-880GA-UD3H Rev 2.1 and 3.1
2 GA-990FXA-UD3 Rev 1.1
1 GA-990FXA-UD5 Rev 1.0

GTS450 for all but 1 of the GA-990FXA-UD3

Also add 1 Sabertooth 990FX with GTS450 :comp:

Edit: Could it be the GPU that is faulty? Have you tryed a different GPU?

Last edited:
In my case I did try 2 diffrenct GPU's. Same problems with both. I tryed both also after it started working and both work perfect.

i had this issue with the 990FXA UD-5 when I installed my 2nd graphics card. I just switched the cards in the x16 slots and it fired up without a hiccup. Haven't had any issues since.

Since then I've swapped the cards places again because gigabyte put the x16 slots way to close together and my top card barely has any room to breath. Given that there EVGA GTX 550ti FPB models, 1 card has a higher voltage under load than the other so I wanted that card to get the best cooling. So it's at the bottom. Still running strong with no issues.

Try to reset BIOS couple of times, jumper + battery. This error happens when BIOS is locking after some hardware changes. That's why switching gfx card sometimes helps.
I had almost the same on my 990FXA-UD5.
Also try some other BIOS version when you make it work ( or beta ).

Early version of these boards didn't have Bulldozer support so if you get it with BIOS F1-4 then probably it won't boot with FX cpus and you will need to flash BIOS to newer version using older cpu or just ask support for help.

Thank you all for your helpful suggestions. I was finally able to clear CMOS by removing the battery, placing an ATA HDD jumper on the posts, disconnecting every external connection that could possibly supply ANY voltage to the board, and letting it sit overnight. after i got into BIOS, I set "Optimized Defaults", made sure SATA was in IDE mode (I was using my Corsair SSD (IDE Mode), I knew it worked), saved and rebooted to the same black screen. I returned it to Frys Electronics, when I went to choose another board, the guy told me all the ASUS and Gigabyte boards were repackaged(somebody had already taken them home, screwed them up, and returned them), so I bought the only board they had that was actually new, the MSI990XA-GD55. It booted right into BIOS, I set Optimized defaults, saved and exited. I connected my SSD and the POST failed, i had forgotten to change SSD mode to IDE. I cleared CMOS (the first board out of the last five that actually did clear CMOS by removing the battery and jumping the terminals). I booted into BIOS again, flashed the newest BIOS version, and it was smooth sailing, finishing the build. I think my problems were a combination of very old BIOS version and probably not even the default settings after someone else had already tried, failed and returned it. I learned a valuable lesson from this, make SURE it's a NEW m-board. And, somebody said MSI boards aren't that good. I have to disagree now that I built one.

Back