• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

New Gigabyte GA-990FXA-UD3 R5 Rev. 1.0

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
I see it now. My bios defaults to manual mode and I never bothered to explore it further, since that's what I use on pretty much all of my boards. Thanks for straightening me out. :)
Old dog got schooled a little today.

It's all good, normally I learn from you, it's nice to return the favor sometimes! :)

Do you think overclocking the CPU will allow me to hit 1866?
Nope, if you want to bump up your memory you will need the correct timings and dram voltage as Scott pointed out. Overclocking your cpu won't really affect this, it's a matter of whether the cpu IMC / mobo will allow the memory to run faster.

I'm actually having the same issue. I bought this same motherboard and 32GB G.Skill ddr3 1866 memory which is underclocked to 1600. If I try XMP it won't post so the memory overclocking has to be manual. According to Gigabyte - I've asked them - the board will support 1866 with only two memory modules. Since AMD IMC's don't support 16GB modules 2x16GB is out of the question and running 32GB in a 4x8GB configuration is limited to 1600. From my understanding if you want 1866 the highest you can is 16GB in a 2x8GB setup.

However, ShrimpBrime seems to think 1866 is still possible with 32GB @ 4x8GB so I'm going to see what he says. If you want, Megaman, I'll update you with the results after I try what he suggests.

Nope, if you want to bump up your memory you will need the correct timings and dram voltage as Scott pointed out. Overclocking your cpu won't really affect this, it's a matter of whether the cpu IMC / mobo will allow the memory to run faster.

I'm actually having the same issue. I bought this same motherboard and 32GB G.Skill ddr3 1866 memory which is underclocked to 1600. If I try XMP it won't post so the memory overclocking has to be manual. According to Gigabyte - I've asked them - the board will support 1866 with only two memory modules. Since AMD IMC's don't support 16GB modules 2x16GB is out of the question and running 32GB in a 4x8GB configuration is limited to 1600. From my understanding if you want 1866 the highest you can is 16GB in a 2x8GB setup.

However, ShrimpBrime seems to think 1866 is still possible with 32GB @ 4x8GB so I'm going to see what he says. If you want, Megaman, I'll update you with the results after I try what he suggests.

Hi Blackheart,

I came across the same info, 1866 and up is only supported using 2 DIMMs.

Did ShrimpBrime mention anything new?

Hi Blackheart,

I came across the same info, 1866 and up is only supported using 2 DIMMs.

Did ShrimpBrime mention anything new?
It should still be possible to reach 1866 with a 4x8GB configuration by overclocking the memory using the right settings. It's a project he and I are going to tackle once I get my rig back up and running because my gpu is currently on RMA. It's going to be a while, at least a week or so, before I get the card back.

If you don't want to wait on me to see how it went you could try it yourself. Launch the program CPU-Z and at the tabs up top right next to memory click on the SPD tab. On this page look down to the Timings Table. You will see a bunch of JEDEC profiles, but what you are looking for is the XMP 933MHz. Right down all the timings from top to bottom including everything from RAS# to CAS#, CAS Latency, tRC, command rate and the dram voltage.

Then create thread here seeking a little assistance because this is where it gets a little tricky. I have been inside the 990FXA-UD3 R5's UEFI dual bios and inside of the advanced dram timings menu it's not so easy to decipher which of the settings correlate to which timing [i.e. there isn't a RAS# to CAS# setting]. Someone should come along and help you figure out the settings, but keep in mind you may even need to raise the CPU-NB voltage a little as well to get the overclocked memory to POST and stay stable.

Definitely seek help before diving into the bios and trying it on your own. That's about as much as I can help until I'm trying it myself.

Back