• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Gigabyte GA-X38-DS4 loves the FSB!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Good Day, guys

Just a question in relation to the -x38-ds4 board BIOS losing saved profiles?

I am a newbie and have been playing around with different setups with my RIG, because im just trying to see what combination will get me the best performance. So, I was constantly going into the BIOS, making a change, seeing if it would boot - if it did, run some tests and see what the performance/heat was like. If it didnt go back into the BIOS and load a previously saved working profile. Only to reboot and find none of my profiles where there? This was after about a week of testing. Could I have possible corrupt the BIOS ? And all I would need is to clear it?

Have you guys ever expreinced this or am I being a total noob? Any help would be great....

Anybody trying to overclock this board with a Q6600 and OCZ Reaper RAM? Had much luck?

Thanks once again...

Hi Guys
Ive got a problem and require some help, I have just bought a new rig, obv. bought a GA-x38-DS4 and also bought 4x 1GB Crucial Balistix Tracers DDR-8500, tried x64 and x32 editions of vista and everytime i add more than 2x 1GB i get BSOD memory_management, now i know this is a continuous problem with many users (as per the posts all over the web) and have figured out that there is a way around this by altering the timings and i think reducing the 1066 to 800 etc (excuse me if im wrong). i just wondered how i go about doing this.

Also i have a problem with the connection from my PSU to the mainboard, so i have a paperclip in the back of the connecter to keep a always on connection, this isnt a massive problem because i always keep my pc on, however if i have to power my computer off, when i switch it back on it recovers the bios everytime, i wondered if you can stop it from recovering the bios each time.

hope this makes some sense
--
chopper

You guys have great results! Problem for me is I cannot get my comp to stay at 9x multiplier and with any FSB higher than stock. If I bump up the FSB to 10 above the norm, it does the double reboot and sets it back to default. I can however bump up the FSB to 450 right not on 7x multiplier. This is what I have so far:

GA-x38-DS4 F3 BIOS
Q6600 G0 Stepping
Zalman 9700 Copper Cooler
G.Skill pc8000 2x2GB
XFX GeForce 9800GX2
Antec Trio 650W
WD Raptor 150GB

Any Ideas on what is up with my board and chip? Could it be the CPU that's bad? Had problems overclocking on a 680i board before I upgraded to the x38 chipset.

You guys have great results! Problem for me is I cannot get my comp to stay at 9x multiplier and with any FSB higher than stock. If I bump up the FSB to 10 above the norm, it does the double reboot and sets it back to default. I can however bump up the FSB to 450 right not on 7x multiplier. This is what I have so far:

GA-x38-DS4 F3 BIOS
Q6600 G0 Stepping
Zalman 9700 Copper Cooler
G.Skill pc8000 2x2GB
XFX GeForce 9800GX2
Antec Trio 650W
WD Raptor 150GB

Any Ideas on what is up with my board and chip? Could it be the CPU that's bad? Had problems overclocking on a 680i board before I upgraded to the x38 chipset.

CPU is hold ing you back then

e_8c395_213e88e6_oJ.jpg.thumb

What do you guys think of this OC?

Should i push her further?

Ok so a little update. I changed the multiplier to 8 and was able to get to 3.6 no problem except for the fact that my temps were reaching the 60s and decided to drop it to:
425x8 @1.375V (3.4Ghz)
and now my system is in the 50s at load. Didn't bother trying to bump my multiplier to 9 and trying to overclock. Had too much problems with that.

Unfortunatley the shots werent taken at load. At load my temps are up to 70'c. With the same voltage i guess i could push further.

I run about 80c on some cores some cores under load. Many may ocnsider this unsafe, most that I have seen like their temps under 70c. Its been like this for awhile now and no issues, at least a few months. Any more voltage and it becomes unstable.

Hey guys! I got a swiftech 220 water cooling kit yesterday and I was able to OC like a madman! I originally had it at 3.4 and was hitting 42-44 idle but now with this I'm getting 33C idle and under load its hitting 45C! Unbelievable! Now I've gotten the multiplier all the way to default 9 (before this I had to use lower multipliers because default would reset the bios for some reason) and running at 3.8GHz. I wonder if I can take it higher but what would be the recommended voltage? currently have it at 1.4v and I don't think I want to take it any higher. Any thoughts?

Back