• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Gigabyte x370 corrupt bios

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

bigtallanddopey

Woke up this morning, turned the pc on, all the fans started up but no post on the screen. Checked the motherboard for lights/codes and had what looked like every fault you can have.

Straight away I thought something wrong with the bios/motherboard. Luckily my board (aorus gaming 5 x370) has two bios’s available and just flicking a switch allowed me to boot.

I have then updated the bios to the latest available on the website.

My question is. Will updating the bios have reset both of the bios’s to the new version? What I don’t want is that this is the last chance and if it happens again I won’t be able to recover it.

you have only updated the one bios.
Go into bios and you will find an option to copy bios "B" to bios "A", and vice versa.

Whatever bios the switch is on, should be the one you are flashing. Put the switch in the other position and you'll flash the other bios.

Good luck with this problem, I had this same issue with my gigabyte X470 boards and eventually both bios got wrecked and the boards was dead. I went through 2 different gigabtye x470 boards before I switched to an ASUS board.

I advise next time you get a chance to backup any important data since in my experience things went downhill quickly.

Good luck with this problem, I had this same issue with my gigabyte X470 boards and eventually both bios got wrecked and the boards was dead. I went through 2 different gigabtye x470 boards before I switched to an ASUS board.

I advise next time you get a chance to backup any important data since in my experience things went downhill quickly.

I do hope it’s not in its way out. Mainly because I have a monoblock which would have to go and I won’t be replacing it as I don’t have that much disposable income anymore.

I will try and change the corrupted bios after work and see if it fixes it. If not then I shall start to worry.

It looks like bios "A" was bad.
He switched to bios "B" and was able to boot
Then he updated that same bios.

From reading this, it looks like bios "B" is still used and the only one operational.
Bios "A" remains corrupt? What the OP wants to know is, if he ran bios update, did it flash both Bose, so if he ever has problem with bios "B", the one he's on right now, if it ever goes bad, can he jump back to bios "A", which would be supposedly fixed after he ran a bios flash? Or is it still tacoed, regardless of recent flash?

From reading this, it looks like bios "B" is still used and the only one operational.
Bios "A" remains corrupt? What the OP wants to know is, if he ran bios update, did it flash both Bose, so if he ever has problem with bios "B", the one he's on right now, if it ever goes bad, can he jump back to bios "A", which would be supposedly fixed after he ran a bios flash? Or is it still tacoed, regardless of recent flash?
That is how I understood it as well... just waiting for a confirmation from the OP...

Exactly where I am at. Just tried booting with bios A and the same problems occur. So it either is completely gone or it hasn’t updated.

I then tried resetting the cmos using the button on the board, nothing changed.

My next step is to take the battery out etc and try again. Just need to disassemble the pc to get to it.

If that fails, it looks like I will have a board that may or may not be prone to bricking the bios that only has one working bios out of two available.

Have you tried something like Dad mentioned?

you have only updated the one bios.
Go into bios and you will find an option to copy bios "B" to bios "A", and vice versa.

In the end, it shouldn't be a very big problem being with only one bios. I've had only one bios for many years and never ran into trouble:shrug: unless certain boards are prone to bios problems. Isn't there bios chips you can solder on (replacement) as the last resort?

More specifically, what is the actual model number of the board? Giga makes a number of x370 motherboards.

Hey BT&D, I came across this post on Reddit. Maybe some other users on here could verify or dis-credit the possibility of this working.

TL:DR - Load Bios onto USB stick and plug in. Power off. Unplug CMOS Batt. Pound 'END' key to bring up Q_Flash. Switch BIOS switch to the corrupted position. Select BIOS file from USB. Once complete insert Batt, remove USB and reboot. Per the write-up it should be good.

NOTE: I would wait for other opinions on whether this would work before trying it as you have a functioning system currently.

- - - Auto-Merged Double Post - - -

More specifically, what is the actual model number of the board? Giga makes a number of x370 motherboards.

"Luckily my board (aorus gaming 5 x370) has two bios’s available..."

Exactly where I am at. Just tried booting with bios A and the same problems occur. So it either is completely gone or it hasn’t updated.

I then tried resetting the cmos using the button on the board, nothing changed.

My next step is to take the battery out etc and try again. Just need to disassemble the pc to get to it.

If that fails, it looks like I will have a board that may or may not be prone to bricking the bios that only has one working bios out of two available.
It doesn't seem like you have flashed the bad BIOS? Try flashing as was said or follow what blay said... but whatever position the switch is in, is what BIOS it is supposed to flash.

It doesn't seem like you have flashed the bad BIOS? Try flashing as was said or follow what blay said... but whatever position the switch is in, is what BIOS it is supposed to flash.

I think we are still trying to determine if in fact his giga board has dual bios. If it does not he would need another working computer to get the bios flash file onto a USB stick.

The first post mentions the board.l and blaylock shared it as well. I confirmed early yesterday it has a dual bios by looking at the manual. We're past that me thinks! :)

All he needs to do is what blaylock and I said earlier to flash the bad bios (again, I see he tried once). This time, make sure dual bios switch is enabled!!!!! Boot to good bios, flip BIOS SW switch to flash the other bios, flash, and cross your fingers. See your manual below...

Screenshot_20190729-174405_Drive.jpg

Last edited:
All he needs to do is what blaylock and I said earlier to flash the bad bios (again, I see he tried once). This time, make sure dual bios switch is enabled!!!!! Boot to good bios, flip BIOS SW switch to flash the other bios, flash, and cross your fingers. See your manual below...

View attachment 206783

Ah I think I get it now. Will give it a go after work.

Oh, okay. I was just keying on posts #11 and #12 where OP seemed to indicate he hadn't found a second bios option. It's what happens when you do a drive by instead of refreshing your memory from the entire thread.

Back