• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Gigabyte X99 Gaming 5p / 5930k - Bios OC help

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

toran0x

Hey guys. You have been so helpful in the past, thought I'd come around and get some pointers on overclocking my new setup.

My build:
Motherboard: GA-X99-Gaming 5P v1 (version F2f)
CPU: i7 5930K @ 3.7 -- 125mhz bus -- x30 multiplier (CPU was overclocked auto by XMP Profile 1 for the memory)
Memory: 16GB G.Skill F4-3000C15Q-16GRR @ 15-15-15-35 @1.2v
Graphics: EVGA 980Ti Hybrid @ stock
Power: Corsair RM1000i

Currently in my BIOS I have XMP Profile 1 active to get my memory where it should be at 3000 Mhz. I'd like to start pushing this a bit since I have a Corsair H100i offering hybrid liquid cooling - doesn't ever go past 35c regular use. Load is 55c.

This board has some nice preset overlocks, but naturally I don't trust those. What do you think I should adjust first to start inching things higher?

For more info, I've attached my CPU-Z info. Thank you!

Attachments

• rig.txt
    175.9 KB · Views: 78
Last edited:
I would start at 42x using 1.25V on the CPU. Run Prime and post a pic of your temps in HWMonitor after 20min :thup:

I would start at 42x using 1.25V on the CPU. Run Prime and post a pic of your temps in HWMonitor after 20min :thup:

Do I keep the XMP Profile active or turn that off? Thank you for the kick in the right direction - will try.

Btw, 42x won't work bc base clock ratio has to be 1.25x for the memory frequency to reach 3000. 42x would put it upwards of 5.5ghz with the 1.25 ratio. Do I just run the memory at 2400?

If you're on 1.25x then run either 33x or 34x... that simple.

If you're on 1.25x then run either 33x or 34x... that simple.

Perfect. I assume there's no way to run the memory at 3000 on a base clock of 1x instead of 1.25x? I think I recall reading that it's more stable to increase just the CPU clock ratio rather than the base clock ratio? Also, not sure how the system memory multiplier helps/hurts overclocking - that seems to be necessary to get my memory to 3000.

Here's my Prime95 for 20 minutes at 33x (4ghz) 1.25 vcore. I had to bump the SA voltage a tiny bit as I was having boot issues - this also happened when I was at 3.7 and the bump up fixed any boot problems.

Capture.PNG

Decent temps for the speed/voltage. How's the stability out for a few hours?

This board has some nice preset overlocks, but naturally I don't trust those.
You don't trust them without even trying? I've had two Gigabyte X99 boards, the UD4P when X99 first came out, and now a bargain UD3P. The CPU Upgrade settings worked well in both motherbooards. One click and my i7 5820K is running rock stable in the UD3P at 4.3 GHz at 1.25 VID. Plus, why are you playing with the clock speed, just leave it at 100 MHz. There's really no need to dork with that anymore. I think you're over complicating something that has been made pretty simple these days.

BTW, I also used the one-click OC in an ASRock Z170 mATX board to get an i5 6600K running at 4.6 GHz with a little nudge to the CPU offset voltage also.

No problems at all so far. Played a few games for several hours and no issues. Think I should drop the vcore a little? I can get temps lower if I turn up the fans on my H110i but I'm trying to keep it on the quiet side.

- - - Updated - - -

You don't trust them without even trying? I've had two Gigabyte X99 boards, the UD4P when X99 first came out, and now a bargain UD3P. The CPU Upgrade settings worked well in both motherbooards. One click and my i7 5820K is running rock stable in the UD3P at 4.3 GHz at 1.25 VID. Plus, why are you playing with the clock speed, just leave it at 100 MHz. There's really no need to dork with that anymore. I think you're over complicating something that has been made pretty simple these days.

BTW, I also used the one-click OC in an ASRock Z170 mATX board to get an i5 6600K running at 4.6 GHz with a little nudge to the CPU offset voltage also.

I've been trained that auto-anything when over clocking shouldn't be trusted. I'll try the presets.

I tried the Auto OC and selected 4.0 ghz. Booted fine, but something didn't take. Was still at 3.7. Do I need to do anything special to get the auto OC thing to work?

Trying some new settings that seem to be great so far.

4ghz overclock
1.11 vcore
1.06 RING volt (up a smidge from 1.05 default but prob not needed)

Tried uncore at 3.9 but it didn't like that, so left stock.

Running AIDA64 and temps are at about 49c. Guess the 1.25v was a bit overkill for my overclock. Will report back results and other settings that work well since I'm guessing others might be interested too.

stabilitytest2.png

Last edited:
Circling back to this - went a bit higher.

4.37 ghz @ 1.2 - everything else as is.
Bumped up SA offset to 0.15, but will toy with this and try to bring it lower again. Helps with memory being overclocked.

Memory still running at 3000, so kept XMP in place. I hear some are having better OC success by not running memory at 3000 - instead at 2666 or something. Might try that to push further.

Stats below are after a 2hr stability test in AIDA 64.

stabilitytest-4-37 2hrs stable.png

Back