• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Good cpu & motherboard combo.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

dude2

hey,

i need reccomendations of a good cpu and motherboard combination. Im thinking in the region of a 1.3 duron amd processor or a step up ro a 1700 athlon. No more though. I want it as cheap as possible but i need it to be nice and reliable so it will run at a decent speed and will last a while.

Thanks

Jonny

Are you planning on overclocking this system? If not, how about an Athlon XP 1600+ with an ECS K7S5A Pro mobo. Even the lowest speed xp processor is better than a duron and its still very cheap. And that mobo is also cheap and reliable. The only problem with it is its not overclocker friendly, but if you're not planning on overclocking then it won't be a problem.

Edit: Better yet if you have a Fry's near you, you can get an XP 1800+ with a K7S5A Pro for like $90 talk about cheap.

Last edited:
I wouldnt get a duron at all...

I'm building a cheap system for my friend to do some light CAD work on and i started out with a 1700 but the 2000 retail version @ www.newegg.com is a deal i cant resist

As for a motherboard, Nforce 2 is a "must" these days in my opinion...you can get one cheap.

Just dont fall into the "cheap is crap" frame of thinking, that is not always the case. Especially if your browsing these boards.

Back