• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

good mobo for phenom ll x4?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Thanks, now will the Gigabyte one support SLI, if I wanted to upgrade in the future?

I could be wrong but I dont think there are going to be any more SLI boards for AMD in the future after the ATI-AMD merger.

+1 on the MSI 790FX-GD70

I did actually buy the asus m4n82 deluxe before buying my msi 790fx-gd70, it is a 980a (rebranded 780a) sli chipset capable of 3x sli. Even though the board had a 8+1 voltage regulation it had really bad vdroop. It may have been just my particular board, but I ended up rma'ing it back to newegg.com and buying the 790fx-gd70 at a local store for about the same price. The asus m4n82 deluxe does get good reviews but i figured that sli is more complicated than it's worth especially considering the potential heat buildup in a case and I did'nt want my case sounding like a airplane, I have almost all fans on low on my antec 900 and any louder is too annoying.

With that being said the 790fx-gd70 packs alot of feature for the buck, the other day I tried to see what was max htref clock, and I booted up at 325. Plus to only have 4+1 regulation the voltage's are really stable under load.

Get the MSI 790FX-GD70 after reading these two:

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/...-am3,2277.html
http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum...tml#post204094

The GIGABYTE GA-MA790XT-UD4P AM3 DDR3 AMD 790X ATX AMD Motherboard is pretty good too. My cousin is running a Gigabyte 4870X2 and a Phenom II 955 on it and says it's really good.

I'm running an Asus M4A79T Deluxe with a Phenom II 955 at 3.7GHz and an OC'ed Sapphire Radeon HD4890 and got over P11000 with it so it's pretty good too. You can pump the HT all the way to almost 300 with a voltage increase. Mobo temp doesn't go above 37C. Whilst the Phenom II 955 is a Black Edition (unlocked multiplier) I found you get better performance by overclocking the other components and leaving the multiplier standard. You need a good board to do this.

Also this:

http://www.trustedreviews.com/mother...III-Formula/p1

It comes with a PCI Supreme FX card and the price is really good. This is an ROG (Republic of Gamers) board but obviously it would do well in video editing/workstation situations too. You can add on Republic Of Gamers OC Station too. It's basically (as they say in the article) an Asus M4A79T Deluxe with free extras.

It all depends on what you want to use your PC for. I would say the Asus Crosshair III Formula would be good but it is fairly new so may have a few issues; nothing bios upgrades can't fix.

790FXT-UD5P!!!!! Woo woo! And to the sli thing, I would switch to ati, the 4890's have been looking pretty sexy. I will be switching in the future, just not ready for ati yet.

+1 for the MSI

And I'd go with the 4890. Seem to be pretty insane for the $$, specially since they are dirt cheap now.

hi, do any of you know how good the msi board is for overclocking? or are you guys saying this is a good mobo purely for gaming?

I got mine to 3.6 at 9 hours prime stable with 1.55 volts. My old board was the asus m4a78t-e. And I could not get that board stable if my life depended on it. That board I had only 3.5 at 2 hour prime stable with 1.5 volts. For me personally the upgrade on the board was a huge difference.

I'm in love with the crosshair III. Also the Gigabyte MA790FXT-UD5P, Asus M4A79T Deluxe and MSI 790FX-GD70 are pretty decent boards. Many times good O/C boards are good gamer boards and I think this applies to all of the boards mentioned above.

ASUS has great customer support, but I am not too keen on my last few motherboards.

That MSI board is uber sex@h, and the performance reviews I have see nshow it doing fairly well.

The gigabyte board mentioned also seems to do pretty well in the performance department, I personally am just not to keen on the company. Lots and LOTS of people are going gigabyte anymore though as they seem to have better price/performance ratios.

+1 vote for the MSI board.

I could be wrong but I dont think there are going to be any more SLI boards for AMD in the future after the ATI-AMD merger.

+1 on the MSI 790FX-GD70

What about nVidia chipset mainboards?

The Gigabyte GA-MA790XT-UD4P is a nice mainboard if you don't need the additional features of the UD5P, ie 2x NICS etc etc It still has firewire, cross fire (2 but not 4 cards) etc. I simply decided the UD5 just had more features than I either wanted or needed.

Last edited:
MSI sucks. They are on bios revision 25 for the GD70...lol that is how great they are at shipping a product before it was even close to release to the public. MSI always has this problem, ship board, then bios updates galore come down to fix all the problems that end users find with the mobo's cause MSI's testing is crap. So what if the board looks good, i would go with an Asus or Gigabyte way before MSI. The only way you could make me buy MSI is if i had to choose between it and ECS.

MSI had a pretty bad track record before, but in most reviews they came back up with this board. I don't work for MSI, and I'm not super defending it or anything. But this board is worth a look for AM3 CPUs.

What about nVidia chipset mainboards?

The Gigabyte GA-MA790XT-UD4P is a nice mainboard if you don't need the additional features of the UD5P, ie 2x NICS etc etc It still has firewire, cross fire (2 but not 4 cards) etc. I simply decided the UD5 just had more features than I either wanted or needed.

There are still Nvidia chip mainboards for AM2+, but none so far for AM3. I have a geforec 275 myself and would love SLI

There are still Nvidia chip mainboards for AM2+, but none so far for AM3. I have a geforec 275 myself and would love SLI

Lol, I will never ever run dual cards. My next upgrade will be with whatever is the best value DX11 card once out. I daresay I won't bother upgrading until GPGPU is more common in apps though.

I tend to like ATI chipset boards based on low heat output and low power draw. Heck, board efficiency is the only thing keeps AMD anywhere near Intels these days for system power draw. Their CPU's chew power like its going out of fashion.....

To be perfectly honest, if I were to buy a system right now with the intention of overclocking it'd be a Core i5. Thing is, I built my system a month ago :bang head

Yea I totally agree with you, the i5 is kickass in benchmarks and fairly cheap too. Just gotta wait for the geforce 300s to come out in the next few months. I wish I didnt build my system in April or else I would be getting the i7 or i5 right now =( and a 4890.

Back