• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

GPOs apply on some PCs and no on others?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Local policy will never override any sort of group policies from a domain. While it is true that local policies are processed first (Local, Domain GPO's, then OU GPO's from the top of the directory down), the "precedence" of policies applied is the inverse.

Because Domain and OU GPO's are processed last (Domain first though), they will reset policies changed by GPO's preceding them. The only exception to this is if the GPO has the 'Enforced' option ticked.

Again, the OP should first verify that the GPO is being processed. If it is, then the next likely reason he's not seeing the desired results would be permissions; either permissions to the location the logon script is in, or share/NTFS permissions to the file server being mapped to.

From a DC, open Group Policy Management and run the GPResults wizard against one of the affected workstations using a domain user's login. If another policy is winning against the one you have configured you'll be able to see it. I would also check the logs on your DC(s) for errors related to the SYSVOL share.

Thank you everyone for your replies and suggestions. I took a day off from the project, but will be heading over to the client's office today to do some of these suggestions.

I will keep you posted.

From a DC, open Group Policy Management and run the GPResults wizard against one of the affected workstations using a domain user's login. If another policy is winning against the one you have configured you'll be able to see it. I would also check the logs on your DC(s) for errors related to the SYSVOL share.

I ran the wizard. Under User Config/GPOs/Applied GPOs and the Drive Mapping Policies are listed.

Local policy will never override any sort of group policies from a domain. While it is true that local policies are processed first (Local, Domain GPO's, then OU GPO's from the top of the directory down), the "precedence" of policies applied is the inverse.

Because Domain and OU GPO's are processed last (Domain first though), they will reset policies changed by GPO's preceding them. The only exception to this is if the GPO has the 'Enforced' option ticked.

Again, the OP should first verify that the GPO is being processed. If it is, then the next likely reason he's not seeing the desired results would be permissions; either permissions to the location the logon script is in, or share/NTFS permissions to the file server being mapped to.

I don't think permissions is an issue. I'm mapping the drives through the GPO itself, not via a script. Also, I am able to MANUALLY map the network drives just fine, so permissions to the shares is also not an issue.

Ok, I found the solution (kind of). I ran Windows Update for the heck of it, and it installed about 80 or so updates (my guess is these PCs haven't been updated since SP3 was installed). After I restarted the PC, everything WORKED!

Do any of you know what update that might have been? I didn't review them before I installed them. I did the express install. My guess is that it was an update since SP3.

Back