• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

GPU Clock barely reaching it's "Boost clock"

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Gin

Hi all, I just installed a GTX 1050 in my computer replacing my GTX 460 that just died a few days ago. I noticed a difference in how I can play with the clocks, in my old GTX 460 putting "Maximum performance preferred" at Nvidia control panel plus computer power plan to High Performance has no impact on how my new gtx 1050 behaves. For example in the past with the above settings my gtx 460 used to reach max voltage and stay there, same for GPU clock. Now for example If I'm running Hearthstone my gpu clock won't pass 1100mhz and voltage haven't pass over 0.875. I was thinking my VGA was broken until I read some people saying this is totally normal. Can someone explain with a few words how does it work now and if there is any workaround to make it work like in the past with my 460?
Thank you in advance.

I'm getting some fps drop from 200FPS to 110 90 when testing on League of Legends 1440x900 resolution and I used to get a bit more with my gtx460 pretty much can't figure it out what's wrong.

It's not thermal throttling is it? Doubt it since it's a new card and the 460 was fine, but check with a program like HWMonitor anyway.

Did you do a complete driver unistall and reinstall?

It's not thermal throttling is it? Doubt it since it's a new card and the 460 was fine, but check with a program like HWMonitor anyway.

Did you do a complete driver unistall and reinstall?

No I have not tried that, I only updated to latest drivers that were released yesterday "I was using 384.76" and I got a bit better FPS but I have this issue where I run Valley for example and my GPU clock reach 1784 and stays there. Now when playing League of Legends, the clock hits the same peak but only when not under preasure, as soon as the game gets heavier with minions spawned and me attacking minions my GPU clock drops to 1582 in this video and the FPS from 220-200 to 140-160 "You will see a bit lower values because I'm recording". I used to get 250+ all the time and lower fps was about 180 190 with my GTX 460. Note that while not recording the 1582 goes even lower to 1220-1417 from 1784 when the game is not demanding much.

Here's the video

Thank's for your reply!

Pascals are designed that way. My 1070 clocked @ 2100/4500 does the same exact thing in games. Gpu clock will drop to 2088 and some of my frames will fluctuate depending on the game/map and how much it has to render. Your card is doing what it's designed to do. Your 460 (Fermi) is a totally different animal. Games back then were optimized for that particular architecture (DX11). Pascals will ramp when it needs to and drop back when it doesn't.

Do a complete Display Driver Uninstall with this . Then reinstall your new drivers.

Don't be surprised if the card reacts the same. Again that's how pascals work.

Pascals are designed that way. My 1070 clocked @ 2100/4500 does the same exact thing in games. Gpu clock will drop to 2088 and some of my frames will fluctuate depending on the game/map and how much it has to render. Your card is doing what it's designed to do. Your 460 (Fermi) is a totally different animal. Games back then were optimized for that particular architecture (DX11). Pascals will ramp when it needs to and drop back when it doesn't.

Do a complete Display Driver Uninstall with this . Then reinstall your new drivers.

Don't be surprised if the card reacts the same. Again that's how pascals work.

I'll try later to uninstall using the tool you noted above. I'm glad it is not broken, at the same time disappointing with it's performance I think as far as it don't drop below 100 fps on shi*** game League of Legends I'll be okay with it. Thank you very much.

I'll try later to uninstall using the tool you noted above. I'm glad it is not broken, at the same time disappointing with it's performance I think as far as it don't drop below 100 fps on shi*** game League of Legends I'll be okay with it. Thank you very much.

You know you can overclock your card also to get performance boost. Check out this guide with MSI Afterburner .

Hi again. I uninstalled video drivers using the tool but didn't make any difference. However, I was checking Nvidia driver forums thread and found that there are many people having similar issues with current drivers. When the game starts in League of Legends is when the game has the less load on the graphic card, I get 320 FPS there; the gpu clocks are at max speed there. But when the game increases the load on the card, it downgrades the clock for some reason "I know you already explained this" but I would expect same behavior as with Valley. I'll try to Overclock soon thanks for the link!

Use older drivers and see if the behavior continues. If it does, then you'll have to RMA the card because nothing else will fix it.

Use older drivers and see if the behavior continues. If it does, then you'll have to RMA the card because nothing else will fix it.

Do you believe they would RMA my VGA by reason of my issue? I'll try an old driver that on current Nvidia driver thread was recommended by people having similar issue.

UPDATE: After being really sad about heavy FPS drops in Rocket League "150+fps to 5-10 for less than a second" plus the annoying image vibration / flicker on youtube videos that had an static image instead of a video all gone after installing drivers ver: 382.05

It is remarkable how this driver version has fixed most incredible issues, and also have given me free 15 FPS on League of Legends. I tried all other later drivers and I don't know which one was the worse lol.

I got in the habit a few years back of only installing the last version of each iteration (since they are usually the fastest/most bug-free) and has been smooth riding, for example, i'm still using the 381.89 on all my rigs (skipped 382 because of performance issues and the 384 don't have decent reviews yet) :thup:

what i have found on drivers is to try all of them from the first release to the latest, pick the one that works best and never touch it after that, if I corrupt it just reinstall that driver.

Are you using MSI Afterburner / EVGA Precision X or anything for the clocks? In Precision XOC there's a feature called K Boost that runs the card at max boost all the time. I've noticed K Boost gives me 2062 MHz, but if I turn off K Boost, load in games typically gives me 2037-2050. I assume this is the same thing you experience, Nebulous?

Back