• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Gskill 2400 won't post

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Dark_n_Beyond

Hi everyone!

My system specs are in my sig, and the system runs fine on corsair vengence 1600 (2X4). I got my Gskill 2400 (2X4) Trident X in today, and I can't get it to post no matter what I try. I have flashed the most recent bios. I have tried clearing cmos. I have tried manually setting timing and voltage, and I have tried memory ok. Single stick or dual stick won't boot.

The guy at Gskill tech support told me to rma the motherboard, there's no reason for the memory not to post. Somehow I'm not trusting that advice, but at the same time, I find it unlikely that I would get 2 bad sticks. Any suggestions would be very much appreciated!

Will it post at 2200? Make sure you set VCCSA to 1.1v and VCCIO to 1.1-1.25v. If that doesn't work I would try increasing the voltage by .5 and or change the dram voltage frequency from 300 to 350-400 and see if it posts. You could also try +1 to the first 3 values under timings.

hax0red -

Just tried to post at 2200, and it won't do that either. Tried everything else you suggested, and I still can't get it to post :shrug:. Too tired and frustrated to play around any more tonight...off to bed for me. Thanks so much for taking the time to try and help me out!

hax0red -

Just tried to post at 2200, and it won't do that either. Tried everything else you suggested, and I still can't get it to post :shrug:. Too tired and frustrated to play around any more tonight...off to bed for me. Thanks so much for taking the time to try and help me out!

Did you try each stick of ram individually with the settings? Also, just for good measure you could try running the ram at 1600 mhz as a last resort.

If none of that helps it honestly may be your motherboard since the odds of both sticks not even posting are very low and with the settings I suggested you shouldn't have an issue. Maybe your IMC isn't as strong as mine so try lowering the mhz a little more for sure.

This tutorial came in handy for me when I wanted to go over 2200 mhz:

http://www.overclockers.com/memory-overclocking-guide-ivy-bridge

Try to use memory slots 2/4 ( counting from cpu side ).

RMA board only when it has problems to boot with any memory and you get 55 error code.
When you can't boot then also try to run with 1 stick ( can be after clearing cmos so @1333 ), then set all in BIOS , save settings , turn off pc , add more sticks and try to boot again.

Memory slot issues are often caused by bad pin contact in cpu socket. In this case you can try to remove cpu, clean pads and put cpu again in socket.
I just doubt that contact is the reason as other memory was working fine.

This memory should run on XMP profile without issues but try to set it manually like:
2400 10-12-12-31 2N 1.65V , VCCIO/VCCSA 1.1V , all other settings on auto.

More info in memory guide already linked by hax0red. I made it on MVG but all options are the same.

hax0red -I did try both sticks one at a time (I never did try both at once) with those settings. All further attempts will be made in this manner.

Woomack - I just skimmed over your guide, it looks awesome! I will read it more in depth today. I know about the cpu contact causing problems, but dismissed it as well because the other memory is working. It will be kind of a pain, because I didn't leave much extra tubing for the waterblock, but I think I will remove/clean/reseat it anyway, just to be sure.

It is unlikely that I will be trying anything today or tonight as I have prior obligations, but I will keep trying. I really appreciate your help! I will try and do a better job of listing exactly what has been tried and let you know as soon as I can. Thanks!

Quick update...

Since I managed to have a few free minutes, I ran a test to see if I could get post at 1600, which is what my corsair runs at.

Cleared cmos, set 1600, timings 10-12-12-31, vccsa and vccio 1.1, all else on auto. Saved settings, posted with corsair memory, shut down. Tried Trident X memory in slots 1,3 and then 2,4 with no post. Tried each stick of the Trident X one at a time in slot 1 and no post with either. Put the corsair memory back in slots 1,3 which posted fine, put my settings back, and that's where it sits until I get more time......:bang head

Do you mean it won't post even if you install one of your Corsair modules with one of the G.Skill modules?

Do you mean it won't post even if you install one of your Corsair modules with one of the G.Skill modules?

I have not tried that.

What I meant to say is that I changed my bios settings with the corsair ram installed, saved the settings and got post with the corsair. I then powered the system down, removed the corsair and tested the Gskill modules.

I have not tried that.

What I meant to say is that I changed my bios settings with the corsair ram installed, saved the settings and got post with the corsair. I then powered the system down, removed the corsair and tested the Gskill modules.
I've sometimes gotten a bad module to POST by pairing it with a completely different module. I think this demonstrates that some module makers write overly aggressive parameters into their SPDs.

I've sometimes gotten a bad module to POST by pairing it with a completely different module. I think this demonstrates that some module makers write overly aggressive parameters into their SPDs.

Maybe, but I believe he's tried adding to the timing and upping the voltage for a given speed.

What voltage are you running? as long as you have some cooling you should set it to 1.85 or 1.9 if you aren't worried about pushing the ram and honestly if it's gonna be RMA'd I would get all the use I could to make the hassle worth it :attn:

Well, I had some time to play today, but I'm afraid I'm just going to give up and send it back. I have tried everything everyone has suggested to no avail. I have played with timings and voltages (up to 1.9 volts :shock:), and this memory just doesn't want to run.

I wish I knew someone who had a capable motherboard around me, so we could try the memory in a different board. I sure would like to determine whether it is the memory or the motherboard that's the problem.

I'll probably just get some better 1600 memory that I can push a bit and leave it at that. Performance wise...its really not going to matter.

Now if I ever get around to setting up my bench.....

Thanks to all who took the time to try and help me figure this out!

Just to be fair, here is G.Skill's response.

Dear Customer

We are sorry to hear you were unable to get the memory to POST. For DDR3-2400, only the Intel i7-3770K CPU is guaranteed to be capable. For the Intel i5-3570K, additional tweaks may be needed, or it may not be capable at all. You will need to try manual settings, or upgrade the CPU for XMP to work properly. With the proper hardware, the memory can perform extremely well. The G.Skill Trident X series memory is the best available on the market. For any further questions or concerns, please feel free to contact us directly.

Thank you
GSKILL SUPPORT

sounds like bad RAM then. If it was 23 then that would be the IMC on the CPU.

55 isn't necessarily bad ram.
You can also get 55 when switching between memory with different IC's or you can also get code 55 for having an incorrect memory setting. Code55 is pretty much the do it all code for memory, assuming its not IMC.

@op

Have you tried the different memory presets on the MVE? There should be a tridentX preset in the memory settings screen, as well as a samsung loose and hynix loose preset.
If none of that works, I'd consider them a wash and RMA or get a different set.

If it's booting at any clock up to 2000-2133 but not 2400 then you may need some tweaks or just IMC is weak ( I doubt as IMC errors are almost only 20-32 errors , usually 23 or 30 ).

Try manual settings:
2133 10-11-11-28 2N, 170 tRFC 1.65V
2400 11-13-12-32 2N, 170 tRFC 1.65V
VCCIO and VCCSA 1.25V

Try it in 2/4 and 1/3 slots. Sometimes 2/4 works better.
CPU on standard clock , C1/C3/C6 EIST etc all disabled.

Also check if DRAM additional swizzle read/write disabled or enabled makes any difference ( timings window last 2 options ).

Next thing to try is latency boundary. Set it to 10+.

DIGI+ tab:

DRAM Current Capability => to the max value
DRAM Voltage Frequency => auto or 300/350
DRAM Power Phase Control => Extreme
DRAM Power Thermal Control => to the max

VCCIO Switching Frequency => auto
VCCIO Full Phase Control => enabled
VCCIO Over-current protection => enabled

( thats from MVG BIOS but on MVE should be the same )

Don't use more than 1.65V up to 2400 for this kit. There won't be any difference. Standard 2400 10-12-12-31 settings should work with 1.50-1.60V ( at least almost all kits that I saw were working at these settings ).

If you don't really need 2400 clock then 2133 on tighter timings is even faster and still can run on lower voltage than 1.65V.

Just to be fair, here is G.Skill's response.

Dear Customer

We are sorry to hear you were unable to get the memory to POST. For DDR3-2400, only the Intel i7-3770K CPU is guaranteed to be capable. For the Intel i5-3570K, additional tweaks may be needed, or it may not be capable at all. You will need to try manual settings, or upgrade the CPU for XMP to work properly. With the proper hardware, the memory can perform extremely well. The G.Skill Trident X series memory is the best available on the market. For any further questions or concerns, please feel free to contact us directly.

Thank you
GSKILL SUPPORT

3770K isn't guaranteed, and lots of 3570K work fine. It all comes down to the individual CPU's memory controller. My 3570K is good to at least 2800.

Back