• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Gtx 1060 fans stop/starting

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

bigtallanddopey

Hi everyone.

TLDR: should I let the fan pulse on and off or should I set a custom fan curve?

I had never noticed this before (just installed a bracket to install the graphics card vertically) but the fans on the graphics card stop when not in use.

I knew this to be a feature but I didn’t quite know how often it happened until I could see the fans all the time.

Now it’s not a problem at all, keeps the card silent when just web browsing and the fan kicks in when gaming.

The question/problem I have is when playing stellaris. This game is very light on the gpu and it takes approximately 20 mins of gameplay before the fans start up at all. What I am experiencing is the fans run for maybe 2-3 seconds then slow down or stop and then start up again and just keep pulsing on and off like that.

I was just wondering what everyone’s thoughts are on what I should do. Should I leave it to behave like this? Or should I enable the fan in afterburner or something to run at a low speed all the time and set a custom fan curve? I was just wondering if having the fan behave like that could cause some issues down the line with broken fans etc.

It’s a feature, they’re off till about 60c. Setting a curve really depends if it kicks in a lot (getting hot too often too fast) and you don’t mind the noise, if you use MSI Afterburner it has a setting for it, the default curve starts at 30% if memory serves.

Personally I would set a fan curve to stay off when idle or low temp and then once it heats up to start up and stay on for a bit, then shut off. Just play with the temps until you fine tune it. That's what the curves are there for.

I always leave mine running. Idle its low at 30% give or take a little but load it might be 60%. I just feel safer with the fan running constantly even though yes it can ware it out quicker but, its better then start/stopping it constantly IMO. Each to their own but I rather keep the card and components in the case cooler then turn fans off and warm up.

I set a fan Curve on my gigabyte card till 50C it's runs at 30% after which it spins up to 60, 70 and 100 when it exceeds 65C.
I prefer my rig to stay cool and don't want to risk anything.

mine has a fancy LED on the side that says "NO FAN" its kind of annoying and took a while to get used to. i left it at silent setting, and before i overclocked my card they would hardly ever even turn on even when playing demanding titles they'd only be on 50% of the time.

Except replacing my expensive VGA in 2 1/2 years isn't in my budget. That's why it gets cleaned regularly and I keep it cool.

99%+ of the people who own computers don't even know about temperature and the components last the same amount of time as some that do pay attention.:)

Other than the occasional PSU failure, and Seagate HDDs, and one ODD, every component I've had going back to my first build still works. The old Phenom X4 doesn't clock like she used to, but it steams along at stock clocks like a 2.5 GHz juggernaut. LOL. Same with every VGA (5, I think) I have/had. And one of the Seagates is slated for repair in the near future. A new PCB and I should be able to retrieve some stuff that has been waiting patiently. I'm a big fan of maintenance. I took my entire rig apart yesterday for cleaning and replaced the TIM. Picked up an average 3C to 4C improvement across the board with a solid 3C reduction on my VGA (and a lot less noise from the rig).
As a disclaimer, I live in the factory that makes dust, so, my circumstances may be a little harsher than most.

I dont have the luck my self . Most of my old gear was resold or I Vmod till the black magic smoke comes out .

A bunch of mine gets/got recycled in to builds for people who don't need the huge overkill mine is for my purposes. My FX rig went in a black Enthoo Luxe for a beautiful looking build for my daughter.

Back