• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

GTX 1080 Ti with PCI-e 2.0

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
I would go with a GTX 1070/Vega 56, up the CPU to i7-990X and run a 'consumer-grade' overclock on it around 4-42GHz 6 cores, Noctua HS&F. You would have to find a decent 990X that has not been overclocked to hell and back...

The move to 990x from 980x is absolutely pointless. If you would like to remove the glass ceiling, and you do with that type of gaming, grab a modern processor capable of pushing the cards to their potential. 7700k or something.

I have purchased a GTX 1080ti.

When I will have time I will post 2 new videos with the new graphics card, to compare them with my older videos with GTX 980ti.

Then you should post a video with a proper cpu to drive it. The 980x is holding it back, even overclocked. If 144hz gaming is your goal, you need to get a better cpu as well. Not sure how many %, but its at least a few with a 1080ti.

The objective is for others to see how a GTX 1080ti would perform on an older system.

I do plan to upgrade to a Threadripper system, I'm just waiting for 6 months to pass since release, because I'm not in the mood to be a beta.tester for AMD

Last edited:
So, you upgraded from a 980ti, which is already bottlenecked by your CPU to a card which is even more bottleneck?

Why not having waited after you change platform. You could have gotten a better card (Volta in 6 to 9 month) for less money...

I doubt you see any noticeable improvement between the 980ti and the 1080ti.

It is a lot of money thrown down the gutter IMO.

My 2 cents though...

TL;DR:
With a GTX 1080 Ti I lose about 10% in Firestrike graphics to an X5660 @4.3GHz vs. a i7-7700K @4.8GHz.

The X58 system:
GA-X58A-UD7 Ver. 1
X5660
2x 8GB Corsair Vengence DDR3-1600 (Xeon gives us lot's of options here, 288GB potenial baby!)
Sandisk Plus 480GB SSD
Western Digital Black 1TB
Corsair CX650M modular power supply
DeepCool Tesseract SW Red - This is a very cheap case. This is my second build with it and I like it. Was $29.99 on sale.
No floppy or optical drive. Nothing on IDE interface. biggrin.gif

My other system has a i7-7700K @4.8GHz with a GTX 1080 Ti.

Firestrike graphics: 30,514
https://www.3dmark.com/fs/12479582

I swapped over my GTX 1080 Ti the my X58 system. As expected, the Firestrike scores decreased a bit. ;)

X5650 @4.3GHz and GTX 1080 Ti

Firestrike graphics: 28,894
https://www.3dmark.com/fs/13539399

My old X5660 system is giving up 1620 points in graphics to the new i7-7700K system, or about 10%. I think the X58 platform does remarkably well when using a Xeon X56xx series CPU, which can be had for under $30 on ebay all day. i7-990x is still very pricey at over $200 on eBay.

X5660 supports 288GB RAM.
i7-X990X supports only 24GB RAM

Yes, but as E_D wrote above, synthetic... And really not CPU dependant.

Adding to this Tha at 1080p, a 980Ti is already more than enough.

980x has an IPC per clock roughly 40% lower than an haswell.

Either you game 4K, and then it would make (a bit of) sense.

But 1080p? nope.

Better invest in a faster platform for less than the price of a 1080ti, and grab the 1070 Volta equivalent that will be somewhere between the 1080 and the 1080Ti for 400 bucks in 6 months.

He'll hit 100 fps. The concern is leaving performance on the table and he wants high refresh/fps gaming. Not sure if it would be 110 or 120 fps, but, it will be held back at 1080p. ;)

Then he should test at 720p, 1080p, 1440p maximum, so we can see what performance he is leaving on the table in BF1.;)

I dont see a point in testing any lower than what he plays at. All it does is exxagerate any difference.

I dont see a point in testing any lower than what he plays at. All it does is exxagerate any difference.

Just to see if there was more room at 1080p for the Processor to produce more FPS at 720p. Do you know for a fact there is not?

You would see what we already know, a better response to cpu speed increases. The problem is he doesnt play there. So while it is a datpoint, it isnt a relevant one. The results arent the same at 1080p. It doesnt matter what it can do at a res he doesnt play at.

For curiosity sake, sure. But it doesnt tell us much of anything above that. Youll see the % increase diminish as the res goes up.

You would see what we already know, a better response to cpu speed increases. The problem is he doesnt play there. So while it is a datpoint, it isnt a relevant one. The results arent the same at 1080p. It doesnt matter what it can do at a res he doesnt play at.

I thought the point was to see if the CPU was holding the fps back in BF1 at 1080p or 1440p that is what he is testing.

I had to install BF1 on the X58 system with Xeon X5660 @ 4.3Ghz

Here are my settings:
1080p
GPU Memory Restriction Off
Ultra preset
FPS are between 100 - 120 while playing the single player campaign where I am driving the tank. After that I am on foot scouting for the tank and I am getting 130 - 165 fps. Not sure why this is. I suck at this game. Ha!

Here is a Youtube video of a guy playing with a 6700K @ 4.7Ghz and a GTX 1080 Ti @ 2000MHz on ultra preset. He is getting as high as 180ish fps. It is a different scene but shows roughly a 10% difference on the high end.

I would like to point out that the Xeon X56xx series is not Gulftown, it is Westmere. I am still of the opinion that if you have an old 1366 system that the Xeon is a nice way to breath new life into it. Skip all of the i7's for this platform as they are cost prohibitive. I have a Nvidia reference GTX 980 that has been flashed to raise the power limits on the card and it runs very well. I have less than $200 in it. For those that still have one of these systems it can be upgraded nicely for well under $300 for a GPU and a CPU. I would *not* recommend buying a system like this today. If you don't already have one forget it.

Back