• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

GTX 480 vs570 vs 560ti

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Romanrp

Hello overclockers,

I can get the 480 and 560 for around the same price.
For the 480, I can either go with the Asus gtx 480 or the Zotac one (with lifetime warranty).
The cheapest 570 is about £50 more than the other 2, while the better versions such as the msi twin froz one costing a lot more.

Which one of these cards would be the best buy?
I plan to play on 1920x1080 and want to pretty much max most games.
My cpu is the i5-2500k so hopefully that wont be a bottleneck.
Please take overclocking into account, I plan to OC the gpus to the max(safe)

One last question about the 480, I heard it gets pretty warm but does that make a difference on the lifespan of the card? Or was it made out of more heat resistant material so it can cope with the heat?
A friend of mine has an ATI 6850, and the pc freezes when it gets hot, is this the case with the 480?

Never had it freeze, but does cook with a 480.
I suggest unless you are on water go with the 570. Overclocking a 480 on stock air youde have to have the fan running 100% & would be unacceptable for most peeps.

I like my 480 on water overclocked to the max, but am no expert in GPU's

Ah ok, what about a 480 with aftermarket fans?

After market fans like Zalman keep the temp cooler definitely. I was looking into this a while back. Think it idles @ 30-40 load 50-60 instead of 80-90

Overclocked would still be pretty noisy & takes up a lot of room in the case. Not really a big deal for most.

Be the same outcome as buying a 570 I should imagine:p

You arnt interested in ATI?
Get much better deal IMO & can have multiple screens with one card.

6850 2gb, you can flash it & make it run like a 6970.

Ide go ATI if was starting a new. :cool:

My case is the cooler master elite 430 which claims to have enough room to support long cards such as the radeon 5970. I think the 480 is shorter but I am not quite sure, I will look it up.
Also, the lower clocked 480 is round the same speed/faster than 570, so I would imagine with little bit of oc it would outperform the 570, which I heard has something with it's supply that means it doesnt OC very well.
Also the extra bit of vram and lifetime warranty wouldnt hurt.

I was thinking of going ATI, but for me physx > eyefinity.
Are there any other advantages to ATI?
EDIT: After reading what I just read, I seem to be fairly biased towards the 480 as it seems like one badasss card.
Is there any reasons I should not get it?

My case is the cooler master elite 430 which claims to have enough room to support long cards such as the radeon 5970. I think the 480 is shorter but I am not quite sure, I will look it up.
Also, the lower clocked 480 is round the same speed/faster than 570, so I would imagine with little bit of oc it would outperform the 570, which I heard has something with it's supply that means it doesnt OC very well.
Also the extra bit of vram and lifetime warranty wouldnt hurt.

Ah ok, lifetime warranty sounds good. I have a Zotac but am in UK so only get 5 years, which is still petty cool.

Check out the 6950 2gb! less power, less heat & can get it running faster than a 480 I should think.
480 is a power hog.

I am in the UK as well,
this is the card I am thinking of buying.
http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/...&pf_rd_t=101&pf_rd_p=467128533&pf_rd_i=468294
Is this really lifetime warranty? Or is it one of those times when lifetime really means 5 years, but tbh I would probably have a new card by then haha.
http://www.anandtech.com/bench/Product/309?vs=293
6950 vs 480.
I counted quickly but 6950 won 3 times in terms of performance.
http://www.anandtech.com/bench/Product/309?vs=292
6970 vs 480
The 480 still seems to hold its own.

ANd in terms of power, I have a 650W corsair tx psu, would that be enough?

Finally someone with that card haha.
How does it handle games?
Have you treid OCing it?
Are zotac any good? Havent heard a lot about them.

Also, slightly off topic, How can I get a signature? I am looking everywhere in my profile thing and cant find it :( .

Finally someone with that card haha.
How does it handle games?
Have you treid OCing it?
Are zotac any good? Havent heard a lot about them.

Also, slightly off topic, How can I get a signature? I am looking everywhere in my profile thing and cant find it :( .

This is my 2nd Zotac card I had a 260 before & never RMA'd anything so not sure. Rest is same as any other 480.

I have it oc'd to 856 core/1723 shader/2100 memory. Will go faster apparently. This is on water tho. Runs faster than a 580.

Quick links top right tool bar^

Faster than 580? Sounds good to me.
Have you ever tried running the card on air?
I think heat is something I will have to learn to live with if I go with this card.

Faster than 580? Sounds good to me.
Have you ever tried running the card on air?

Yea I only upgraded to water a couple of weeks back, so this all new ground for me:cool:

Stock is pretty fast but is a big improvement since I turned her up & can run any game max.

I was thinking of going water but too scared because if it leaks then that will be the end of my pc.
What speeds have you reached on air?
And my cpu will hopefully be enough haha.

gtx 570! end of story. :p shouldn't be much to consider. doesn't sound like price is the deciding factor, so for an extra $50 the 570 is way better. also not sure if you were considering SLI but if you are i say hold off till march 22 and instead of getting 2 cards get 1 gtx 590. FTW

gtx 570! end of story. :p shouldn't be much to consider. doesn't sound like price is the deciding factor, so for an extra $50 the 570 is way better. also not sure if you were considering SLI but if you are i say hold off till march 22 and instead of getting 2 cards get 1 gtx 590. FTW

lol@590 dual, if you got money to burn ;-)

If you're after absolute ball to wall performance grab 2 6990s. Nobody will be able to touch you for a long while. Sure, it'll set you back about 1000 pound sterling. Maybe 1200... But it's worth it for 200fps in everything, I think.

Otherwise get a 570 or 580. 480 gets too hot.

The 570 will overclock well but the 580 overclocks great. You can each 1000Mhz from about 770Mhz stock. On air. That's significant. Mine is at 940 only because I wussed out on voltage. Had it at 975 stable. The 580 volt tweak cards are something you should look at. The 590 is something you should REALLY look at.

Consider the cost of 2 6950s. If you reflash them to 6970 and overclock them, that's a good chunk faster than a 580.

All that aside, the ATI drivers confuse me and I dislike them so much I stick to Nvidia because I find their drivers self explanatory and I can do whatever I want with the card without feeling stupid or frustrated.

Price is a important factor for me as I am a student who only has so much time to make money haha. I tried to make my rig as budget as possible without making it too slow.

Also, the money is in £ so it would be more like $80, and thats for the cheapest/lowest quaility 570, if I was to go for something decent that would be more like $130 +.

I am currently running a 8400GS and I am getting around 40fps on cod4 on lower res, so 200fps maxed is waay overkill.

I wasnt planning on SLI as my mobo only has x16/x4 sli option.
How much will the 590 cost?

I was thinking of going water but too scared because if it leaks then that will be the end of my pc.
What speeds have you reached on air?
And my cpu will hopefully be enough haha.

Water rocks mate. I havent left my PC since I went water.:screwy: is near silent too.
I also use them Gentle Typhoon 1850's you have in your sig, they are great fans:thup:

@theo, n00b question: Do you think 2 480's SLI would make a massive difference on a 1080p screen or just stick with one overclocked?

Back