• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

GTX 480 vs570 vs 560ti

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
If you're after absolute ball to wall performance grab 2 6990s. Nobody will be able to touch you for a long while. Sure, it'll set you back about 1000 pound sterling. Maybe 1200... But it's worth it for 200fps in everything, I think.

Otherwise get a 570 or 580. 480 gets too hot.

The 570 will overclock well but the 580 overclocks great. You can each 1000Mhz from about 770Mhz stock. That's significant. Mine is at 940 only because I wussed out on voltage. Had it at 975 stable.

well not to rain :argue: on that 6990 comment, but i am pretty sure that the 590 will be better. just sayin, since 2 6970's out perform the 6990, and the 580 out performs the 6970. as for the 580 OC i haven't been able to get mine past 960 core(linked shader). but ya the 480 is way too hot and getting aged.

Well I am going to stick with 1 480 for now until better monitors come down in price.

Goodluck with whatever you decide on Roman:cool:

@bmwbaxter, I think you misunderstood me. I meant did nvidia release a dual core gpu based off the first gen fermi architecture (the one the gtx 480 uses) .

@Lab Rat, thanks:)
Just had a look at amazon, the gtx 570 would cost me between £70-£100 ($120-$160) more.
Is it worth the extra cost? No imo, I didnt even see a performance increase, seem to be about same speed.
All it seems to be is a more efficient 480.

Also, can anyone confirm whether its true that the 570 has a poor PCB design or something that results in poorer overclocking/dead cards?
I heard about this but some people say its true others dont :S .

I think you misunderstood me. I meant did nvidia release a dual core gpu based off the first gen fermi architecture (the one the gtx 480 uses) .

Also, can anyone confirm whether its true that the 570 has a poor PCB design or something that results in poorer overclocking/dead cards?

i don't think they ever release it to the market. atleast i never saw 1 for sale. and i can't comment on the quality of the 570 pcb. and you can always RMA it if there is an issue.

well not to rain :argue: on that 6990 comment, but i am pretty sure that the 590 will be better. just sayin, since 2 6970's out perform the 6990, and the 580 out performs the 6970. as for the 580 OC i haven't been able to get mine past 960 core(linked shader). but ya the 480 is way too hot and getting aged.

The 590 is two gimped 580s. They're significantly lower clocked and we don't know yet what the options are in terms of overvolting and overclocking. We do know the 6990 will behave as two full tilt 6970s and draw 450W if desired.

@bmwbaxter, I think you misunderstood me. I meant did nvidia release a dual core gpu based off the first gen fermi architecture (the one the gtx 480 uses) .

@Lab Rat, thanks:)
Just had a look at amazon, the gtx 570 would cost me between £70-£100 ($120-$160) more.
Is it worth the extra cost? No imo, I didnt even see a performance increase, seem to be about same speed.
All it seems to be is a more efficient 480.

Won't overvolt as well as a 580 as it has fewer VRM modules. In terms of the actual card being bad or poor, no not at all.
The 570 is a friendlier, cooler running 480 with a bit more headroom, and a bit more torque. That's essentially where it sits. If you can get a 480 really cheap, and you know it runs hotter than hell, and is louder than hell, and that's ok, you can save a fair bit of money. Just remember that if you ever wanted to SLI a second 480 in you'd be hearing a 747 and living inside of a Pizza Oven every time you wanted to play a game. 2 570s wouldn't do that.

Keep in mind what you're playing matters a lot here. If you aren't going to play Mech warrior living legends at 16/16 on two screens on ultra and expect 60fps, and you aren't planning an ultra settings run through of metro 2033 expecting 60fps, you can get like a 560Ti and be more than happy. Battlefield 3, Bad company 2, Mass effect 2, Batman Arkham Asylum, Crysis, they all do 60fps on it with a few minor adjustments hither and dither mainly in Crysis.

Last edited:
So now for me its between 560ti vs 480 vs 6950.
They are all similar priced.
Ah decisions decisions.
I plan to play crysis, crysis 2. battlefield 3, bad company 2 and games like that on a single 1920x1080 screen.
I would want the settings to be as high as possible, maxed or near maxed.
I will probably give metro a try just to see what the fuss is about :p

So now for me its between 560ti vs 480 vs 6950.
They are all similar priced.
Ah decisions decisions.
I plan to play crysis, crysis 2. battlefield 3, bad company 2 and games like that on a single 1920x1080 screen.
I would want the settings to be as high as possible, maxed or near maxed.
I will probably give metro a try just to see what the fuss is about :p

a 560 ti will do that @1920..I am doing it now!

480 is faster than a vanilla 6950 or 570. Also hotter/louder. Make sure to take that into consideration.

Get the 570 not the 560 if you go current gen nvidia and you want the most power possible.

For stock clocks get the 570.
If you plan on OCing get the gtx480.
The 570 has a (very) weak power section, when OC'd the mosfets tend to explode. Literally.

After seeing the gigabyte gtx 480 SOC playing crysis warhead on 1920x1080 with everything on enthusiast and 16Q AA, it gets around 40fps,and dips into the 30s.
The card still has plenty of OC headroom and is quieter and cooler than the standard 480.

Thanks everyone , but Gigabyte GTX 480 SOC it is.
Its cheaper than a 570 and it probably blows it away.

Anyone got any experience with this card?

Last edited:
After seeing the gigabyte gtx 480 SOC playing crysis warhead on 1920x1080 with everything on enthusiast and 16Q AA, it gets around 40fps,and dips into the 30s.
The card still has plenty of OC headroom and is quieter and cooler than the standard 480.

I dont personally but a friend of mine has it and is amazed at the performance. and for ur resolution should be perfect for u.

Solid choice, if you get sick of the noise the card makes and the hot temps, you should look into a Zalman vf3000. Its the cooler that came on my 480 Amp edition, and its absolutely awesome. Hottest I've EVER seen it gaming is 72c, usually sits around 59-62c, and is pretty much dead silent while doing so.

In terms of overclocking, your probably going to find you don't have much headroom because the fan levels you need to run for OC'ed stock 480's are just ridiculous. Definitely look after-market air or water if you want to do some serious OC'ing. If you do though, the SOC 480 probably has decent headroom because I imagine its a handpicked chip.

Good thing you picked up the 480 over the 570 too, the 570's are very dangerous to OC with volt mods because it only has 4 capacitors. Theres a thread on overclock.net (I think) where dozens of people are posting info about murdered 570's after relatively modest soft volt mods. Even under water (Or LN2) you can still kill them just by pushing too much voltage.

Ah Ok, I am pleased with the feedback, thanks guys!
Also, this is the card I am talking about if you havent seen it.
http://img.hexus.net/v2/news/gigabyte/gtx-480-soc.jpg
Its non reference.
Dual bios
3x 90mm fans (gelid ones I think = quiet)
Custom PCB
14 Power phases.
At the same clock speed, its reported to be faster then the MSI lightning gtx 480.
Can be OCd to 900ish.

I actually cant wait till I get this card :D.
Once I do I will post benchies.
Crysis benchmark, 3dmark vantage, heaven and furmark?

EDIT:Just to clear things up, this is the best(best as in fastest/most fps in games, dont care about heat or noise or etc. etc.) card I can buy for my budget (£240/$390)?

Last edited:
Ah Ok, I am pleased with the feedback, thanks guys!
Also, this is the card I am talking about if you havent seen it.
http://img.hexus.net/v2/news/gigabyte/gtx-480-soc.jpg
Its non reference.
Dual bios
3x 90mm fans (gelid ones I think = quiet)
Custom PCB
14 Power phases.
At the same clock speed, its reported to be faster then the MSI lightning gtx 480.
Can be OCd to 900ish.

I actually cant wait till I get this card :D.
Once I do I will post benchies.
Crysis benchmark, 3dmark vantage, heaven and furmark?

EDIT:Just to clear things up, this is the best(best as in fastest/most fps in games, dont care about heat or noise or etc. etc.) card I can buy for my budget (£240/$390)?

so you got it yet?

Back