• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

[GUIDE] Forcing backup BIOS on Gigabyte motherboards.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
I can't help you with that because even for my exact motherboard I found 3 sites that gave 3 different Pin combinations to short out. Read my original post (4 posts above yours) and see how I used a combination of methods 1 and 2 repeatedly for several cycles through and really over-stressed the main BIOS. This worked for me right as I was about to bin the board.

I tried everything nothing worked for me method 1and 2 repeatedly for several cycles same result
Here is the image of my bios chip so which is pin 1 and 6

Last edited:
Thanks to Google (for landing me in right place) and overclockers for this information.
I have a Gigabyte motherboard http://www.gigabyte.com/Motherboard/GA-Z77X-UP5-TH-rev-10

For past 2 weeks it is having lot of issues (I have to keep the machine on) as If i try to restart the same or power off. it gives lot of trouble starting up properly.

I get a Main Bios Corrupt Screen. Machine wont bootup (I have unplug ram, unplug graphics card, remove cmos battery etc. etc.)
I have to try various things to get it started.
Sometimes it starts properly, sometimes takes time.. Not sure what is wrong and where..

Can someone please help me how to proceed and fix this issue ?

Thanks again for this wonderful help.

Sounds like your main BIOS may have some issues. Have you ever flashed the latest BIOS file from Gigabyte to the board?

Sounds like your main BIOS may have some issues. Have you ever flashed the latest BIOS file from Gigabyte to the board?

Nope never tried on this board, as it is very difficult for me to get into bios for past few weeks.
I keep my PC turned on for days (gaming, android emulator, etc.) till it becomes too hot.

I am not sure which is the right bios and right way to flash.

go to gigabyte website and download the newest one for your motherboard. Put this on a USB drive then use Q-flash to update main BIOS. I would recommend setting BIOS to default first and reboot then do Q-flash from BIOS. Check your manual for more details.

go to gigabyte website and download the newest one for your motherboard. Put this on a USB drive then use Q-flash to update main BIOS. I would recommend setting BIOS to default first and reboot then do Q-flash from BIOS. Check your manual for more details.

Thank You very much for still helping up, this is the only part which is little confusing for me.. (not a nerd).

1. How to set default BIOS first.
2. Q-Flash = the bios update thing in motherboard options ?

The problem is when I try to save changes to the BIOS and reboot the PC, it wont start, I have to follow all the tricks above and then it starts sometimes immediately sometimes takes lot of time..
Just confirming before proceeding as this is the only working PC I have in hand now.

On the gigabyte IIRC you use F7 while in BIOS to set the defaults. If you haven't made any changes in BIOS then you can skip this step.
QFlash is in the BIOS and will guide you through the process. Hopefully once the flash is done you won't have the start up issues you do now.
One question have you tried booting from the back up BIOS? There should be a switch at the bottom of that board to select the backup BIOS. This BIOS should be fine and may help tell you whether or not it's a BIOS issue

Nope never tried anything on this board.. (flash bios or anything else)
I dont want to elongate the topic with my noobish questions as will be long for other fellow members to read.. and get to there solutions quickly.

I dont know how to make changes on motherboard to be able to boot from backup BIOS.
Now should i reflash the BIOS from the downloaded file or search for backup BIOS option ?

Thanks again..

At the very bottom of the board there's a small switch. You will need to power down then move the switch to the other position and then power up. If the backup BIOS is good, which it should be then it should boot normally.

Nope never tried anything on this board.. (flash bios or anything else)
I dont want to elongate the topic with my noobish questions as will be long for other fellow members to read.. and get to there solutions quickly.

I dont know how to make changes on motherboard to be able to boot from backup BIOS.
Now should i reflash the BIOS from the downloaded file or search for backup BIOS option ?

Thanks again..

Edit:
Is there someway to chat with you on whatsapp or telegram or fb ?
I will PM you my details.

Last edited:
THis is fine here , I can't be here 24/7 but someone else could chime in at anytime and pick up.
Either of those two suggestions will clear up a BIOS issue if that's what it is.
Whatever you do, DON'T flash your BIOS from windows.

Post back what happens wen you try the USB Bios flash.

Yes, Having lot of issues getting to BIOS (starting system), not sure how it is able to boot.. while i re-plug ram, gpu, CMos battery, keep it idle for few minutes..
any proper suggestion to get back to same first without all those troubles ?

Been few hours now..

I spend a hell lot of time reading the manual.. couldnt find anything about same. not yet finished reading the same though..

I spend a hell lot of time reading the manual.. couldnt find anything about same. not yet finished reading the same though..
Actually there are 2 switches as per manual, unsure which to change ?

SW4 switch to backup Bios.

Found the switched changed the button position too, but nothing worked, finally switched like it was and then updated the BIOS.
After updation loaded optimized defaults too and booted into Windows normally.. thought everything went fine.
then suddenly Windows turned off itself no BSOD system just turned off completely.

After lot of tries again got into system (the new bios was enabled) F12 2014 version (latest which I had flashed).
Still windows turned off again within few minutes.

Now I try to remove the CMOS battery while PSU is ON and then insert it back, system starts giving me options to
Load Optimized defaults and boot
Load Optmized defaults and reboot
Exit

Trying the 1st option, I try to enable Intel Virtualization (as it is required for my work) and the save and exit setup, system wont reboot properly..
I have to turn off PSU, turn in back ON, remove CMOS battery, insert again and then it starts..

Now, what could be the issue, hope I was able to ellaborate properly.

Edit:
Should i get a new CMOS battery if that can/might be problem ?

Last edited:
I give up now I guess, had a small electricity failure in my city and the PC again had same issues, I mentioned since point no. 1.
Took me nearly 3 hours to get same onine (trying hundreds of things repeatedly again and again).

The led numbers on motherboard wont start.
most of time it kept showing db or d6 whatever it is..
I had to unplug the motherboard power numerous times in switch off mode.

I will better take the PC to nearest gigabyte service center, I know problem might be small but I cannot fix it even though BIOS is updated now.

this time I started the PC by PSU method, turned off PSU.
Holding down power button on pc (front panel) started PSU and then the led started working fine.

Trying more I might break something on motherboard (apparently I am on same PC now and its working smooth till I will power off same or reboot) :(

Big Thanks for all your help, atleast my data is secure and backing the same first on TOP PRIORITY.

Regards,

Back