• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Gulftown 980X on Air

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
why arent you using 6gb in tri-channel..wouldn't you see some increase in these benches?

why arent you using 6gb in tri-channel..wouldn't you see some increase in these benches?

Running dual channel reduces the load on the IMC, I was trying to maximize OC on the CPU not maximising efficiency on the benchmarks. Also few benchmarks benefit from tri-channel.
Hope this helps :)

Highest SPI thus far...note benchmarks not optimized as yet, just shooting for CPU OC atm.

Attachments

• SPI.jpg
    SPI.jpg
    255.8 KB · Views: 791
OMG im shocked by those temps, especially on air with 1.5v flowing through the chip I would expect much higher temps than that, I cant even put 1.4v through my 920 D0 due to the temp increase, have you tried running Prime or LinX to get temps up yet, see what it hits under max stress, temps for this chip is what worried me the most but if they are going to stay down their, then I want one. :burn:

This is madness! Great to see this thing tearing it up, lets see what you can do with some extreme cooling :-D

Oh, it will heat up when he stresses it. WPrime32 looks to be the most stressful thing he's done. While it will stress the chip a little bit, it's going to be nothing like using Prime95 or LinX. With 1.4v and a stable overclock, this thing would probably get every bit as hot as a 920 and then some.

Oh, it will heat up when he stresses it. WPrime32 looks to be the most stressful thing he's done. While it will stress the chip a little bit, it's going to be nothing like using Prime95 or LinX. With 1.4v and a stable overclock, this thing would probably get every bit as hot as a 920 and then some.

I have no intention to run Prime95 or any other crazy stress testing...this is a 100% benchmarking CPU, for 24/7 I use much cooler running i7's :)

Hahaha, I didn't figure but wanted to answer the gentleman's question. Guess I should have said "if" you stress it. :beer:

With that OC, SSD's are now a severe bottleneck. Current ones, at least.

Willing to bet that even next gen console CPU's won't be this powerful (counting the OC). Yes, I'm being unfair with that; it's the developers' fault they won't let us OC them. :/

Nice! Why did I waste money on a 965 when this was around the corner! Well, I have had this chip over a year now... I guess I don't really need 6 cores, but I still want one haha :) Amazing results on air, cannot wait to see more extreme methods of cooling!

Now, all that you need are 3 GTX480's and 2 HD5970's, then you will be able to make the best review ever made... :p I am interested in what sort of power supply you would need as well for a setup like that :eek:

Just so you guys know this CPU is no walk in the park to OC, it does yield a massive OC and packs a punch but is does take time and lots of work....so don't go trade in your 920 for this if you looking for a guaranteed above 4.5 Ghz OC :)

Back